Where to find a bunch of simple Taiwanese gifts?

Where can I find a bunch of simple gifts in Taipei that I can give to people? I’ll be going to Italy soon and last year many shops I went to were very generous and fed me without letting me pay. I would like to bring them some little gifts from Taiwan as thanks when I head over there next month.

This 4 level place has gifts and souvenirs of all types and price points from all over Taiwan. Pricing is regulated so no gouging. Taiwan Handicraft Promotion Center, No. 1, Xuzhou Road
https://goo.gl/maps/Qh5TYimH4iA2

I love this place. Unique and high quality Taiwan gifts and souvenirs in a beautiful historic building. National Taiwan Craft Research and Development Institute Taipei Branch, No. 41, Nanhai Road
https://goo.gl/maps/JWaYDnJ5PU32

5 Likes

Night markets? Jiu fen? Touristy areas.

Easiest is food related items. Pineapple cake @ Chia Te/Sunny Hills/whatever you prefer. Taiwanese candies, instant milk tea, tea leaves.

Something a bit more personal or with Taiwanese culture (and expensive) would be anything at the National Palace Museum store.

There’s also the souvenir shops with key chains, post cards and toys at a lot of tourist destinations like night markets. I know one that’s the second or third shop in at Rao He Night Market from the western entrance (non temple side).

1 Like

Those are the best deals in town. I got paintings, ceramic bottles, bunch of cheap magnets, hakka fabric hand towels. All big hits with the family abroad.

On the fancy side, I prefer necklaces by http://www.liuli.com.tw/works.aspx

History Museum or Taiwan Museum also have cool stuff. The Red House Theater in Ximending has a market set up outside and inside.

Food stuffs try the first floor of Taipei Main Station. Cheapest souvenirrs are at the Taipei City Mall, the oldest one.

I feel like Italians might not appreciate the greatness of the pineapple cake. GF seems to agree.

Do I have to go through the long lines? Or is there a side entrance for just the store?

There is a side entrance -sort of, it is on teh firts floor and you do not have to pay to get in. Also, the Handicraft Market has an area selling just stuff from teh National Palace Museum. However, I would also reccomend taking a look at the Taiwan and History Museums, which also have original stuff in their gift shops.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 50/50 for me when I bring it back to the states and give it to my American friends. What I did two years ago was, I brought a dozen back with me and gifted one or two to old each college/hs friend I met up with. They didn’t necessarily treat me, but I just thought I’d bring something from Taiwan to show them.

Maybe @hansioux ? can answer this. I know there’s a gift shop/store, but I actually haven’t visited NPM in well over 10 years…despite passing it at least once every week.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend per each gift. Taiwan tea’s a good choice. There’s one that makes goldfish tea bags, which looks pretty cool, but it costs more.

Being a country that loves coffee I don’t see them taking a liking to tea.

I’ll check them out @tango42 they look like a good place to find something unique and not so touristy

I second this one. It’s really a one-stop shop for Taiwan-themed souvenirs and gifts. You can be in and out in half an hour with everything you need, and it’s easy on the wallet too.

TBH, unless foreigners are tea aficionados, it is hard for the average person to appreciate Taiwanese tea. If they have the habit of brewing tea, yeah.

Same with pineapple cakes or traditional pastries. Unless you know the eprson well as a swetet tooth, mmm, I’d rather not. Most people are not that enthusiastic about trying new stuff.

For erally nice gifts, get the Kavalan. Big or small bottles for people you know who drink and drink whisky, for example.

Coffee and pastries are a big deal in Italy and they are pretty particular about it. So I don’t see tea and Taiwanese pastries being a hit there.

Kavalan was a huge hit with my American friends. They absolutely love it compared to their usual Jhonny walker.

Kavalan is the only gift I’ve brought back that has been appreciated, rather than just getting “It’s the thought that counts.” But of course it’s a rather expensive gift, and I believe you can only take one out of the country!

Danshui Old Street is lined with many stores selling tourist tat, but you can probably get the same kind of stuff at the handicraft store.

Those silly little “more money cats”, whatever they’re called, may suit some people, depending on their taste. Bringing back any “famous” Taiwanese food or drink - except for Kavalan, or tea for tea connoisseurs - seems like a bad idea.

Free plastic gift spoons at Taipei 101 basement food court. Although some might consider it theft :rofl:

This thread reminds me: the Handicraft Market was one of the casualties of COVID. :sob:

I’ve resorted to Zhengzhong Market for trinkets, purses, traditional clothing and other souvenirs.

Haven’t been to the underground market at Taipei Main Station since the plague started, so don’t know if the cheap crafts stores there are still around.

I thought that was a government-sponsored set up and somewhat immune and supported by the government during covid. Maybe not.

Another nice spot is

National Taiwan Craft Research and Development Institute Taipei Branch, No. 41, Nanhai Road
https://goo.gl/maps/JWaYDnJ5PU32

1 Like

It was.