Where to find apartments apart from 591

Quite a blanket statement to make there.

Never had a bad landlord in 15 years of living on this island. Sorry if you did. We each have our own experiences. But I have found most people here to be reasonable people.

I never had a bad landlord in Taiwan either, I had a few in the US however
 But the point I was trying to make is if you try to assert legal requirements (for example, HHR registration) without the landlord’s cooperation they can make your life a living hell.

Leasing is a 2 way street too, any landlord can be “bad” if you are a bad tenant

I live in Tamsui and it is not 37mins.
Plus, if you go to Tamsui station they wait to fill up the MRT before setting off.
Usually takes 55 mins of riding time after the MRT leaves the station.

55 sounds way too long to me. This says 37

https://english.metro.taipei/cp.aspx?n=46A82F0C116392CB&s=6792451B411431CA

18 stops partner. Takes a while.

I’m going to ride up there now and ride down to TMS to see :slight_smile:

Nice!! Go eat some pizza or something when you get to Tamsui.

Wouldn’t mind going to Kooks again.

That looks good! I need to go try it sometime.

1 Like

ORO Pizzeria é»ƒé‡‘æŠ«è–©ć±‹

Have you ever been there? It’s like 700nt a pizza but damn it is tasty.

Looks a tad thin for me! Been getting my pizza fixes at Big Boyz

It is like fine wine not a 1 liter craft beer :stuck_out_tongue: I have only been there twice in 6 months because $$$

Riding in the MRT for an hour beats having to drive for 2 hours in bad traffic.

Rents are similar to Tokyo. Get at the end of the Green Line in Xindian, or better the end of the Yellow Line in Zhonghe/Yonghe. Cheaper rents and you’ll get downtown really fast with the MRT

2 Likes

Taipei apartments are going to be the most expensive. Unless you want very low quality. Compare it to other major cities in the world like NYC and it’s still cheaper. Unless you need to be in Taipei, I would recommend other cities. You can get a great large high quality apartment here in Hsinchu for about 15-20k.

1 Like

My rule of thumb is approximately 1000 NTD per ping, unless it is furnished.

We checked some of the places on Tealit (as suggested here, thanks!) and found them to be worlds apart from the stuff on 591.
They were all in Taipei, clean, some of them newly renovated, and still priced cheaper or at least the same as elsewhere.
Hope restored.

3 Likes

Isn’t it the usual case that the agent disappears after you’ve signed, and you just deal with the landlord? With a one off fee they are no longer incentivised to help you once you’ve signed, would be asking for charity to call them after this point. Ours made this point quite clearly anyway
 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think there are different policies. The first agent I used took a 30,000 fee and was never heard from again. The second seems to be more involved in fixing everything on behalf of the Landlord continually. I guess some Landlords employ an agent to just get the place rented and some manage the rental on their behalf.

2 Likes

I think you’d have to be slightly above 20k to find something you’re looking for.
Theres no Tide in the rental market, the problem is a lot of home owners who own newer houses don’t like to rent them, they prefer to leave empty so it doesnt get damaged.