Where to find English yoga and martial arts?

Hiya,
I am looking for 2 things.
A yoga studio in English that won’t break the bank. I’ve been to Pure and Space before. They are beautiful but not in my area and so too pricey for me.
I’m also looking for martial arts training in English. Preferably an adult class.
I live in Tien mu area but will travel.
Thanks!

[quote=“Pants”]Hiya,
A yoga studio in English that won’t break the bank. I’ve been to Pure and Space before. They are beautiful but not in my area and so too pricey for me.
I’m also looking for martial arts training in English. Preferably an adult class.
I live in Tianmu area but will travel.
Thanks![/quote]

Call Carnegies and ask for Gordon’s number. An MMA instructor from Canada who has his own MMA schoool

For the yoga, just scroll down in this forum to the end of Oct., or you could google swami salami–classes near Kuting MRT.

There’s a Space Yoga up in Tianmu, too–i’ve been afraid to go in and ask how much–any idea?

I took some yoga classes in Taipei at California - the language thing really isn’t a problem as you just do what everyone else does and you pick up some vocabulary aswell.

Many martial arts classes will use a lot of non-English (eg. Chinese or Japanese) vocabulary anyway, and it’s not too difficult to pick up. Besides that, you largely learn by doing, not listening. At the extreme end of that philosophy was the aikido club I trained with many years ago. It was in the West, but the instructor (who was Western) never spoke a word during the class. He would motion for a partner, bow, demonstrate the technique a few times, bow, and then let everyone practise it, moving in and out of groups to practise with them. It was the complete antithesis of other martial arts I’d done where there was either 1) a lot of talking in English, 2) a lot of noise. It was really strange at first, but really good after a while.

If your interested in Tae Kwon Do and and martial arts you could contact Wu Jien dojo. Have a look at their blog below which includes contacts.

wujiendojo.blogspot.com/

[quote=“Pants”]Hiya,
I live in Tianmu area but will travel.
Thanks![/quote]

You might be interested in my Martial Artist’s guide to Taipei:
formosaneijia.com/my_products/

It the first one listed on that page. I profiled about 15 or so local instructors, what they teach, and lots of contact info on each one. It will give you the best selection of local teachers that speak English in a variety of styles.

Also, I teach adult taichi classes in English in the ShiDa area. PM me if you want more details.

Good luck.