Where to find good cheese?

Hmm, it might not be the best, at least not after the first try, but has anyone ever considered making cheese yourself? It’s a highly milk-consuming affair, but you know where that cheese comes from and can create your own flavours.

I should mention that it’s also time-consuming, but you don’t have to stand next to it all the time.

[color=#008040]Mod note: We now have a thread on making your own cottage cheese here, including the closely related queso blanco here. --DB[/color]

Yes, yes i did. I still make some kind of cottage/fresh white cheese and yog(h)urt.
Making other hard or soft cheeses is kind of difficult in Taiwan. The weather you know.
I even make fresh goat cheese once in while, from real goat milk.
I also have ( in my fridge) and can come by most common cheeses on the market, not by slice but by pack or wheel. And … for good prices.

Does anyone know where I can find haloumi (Sp?) ?

The supermarket on the south side of Hsin-yi Rd. between the Hsinsheng S. Rd. Intersection and the Yungkang St entrance has it.

I thought Costco had a reasonable selection of cheeses.

I started this thread to promote a new cheese shop that’s near my office, in the hope that it’ll:
a) stay open (the space has been home to a Rose House, a spa, and a restaurant in the last few years)
b) maintain its lower prices

It’s been years since you had to limit yourself to canned cheese or plastic slices as this thread suggests:
[Cheese in a can

But prices at Jason’s and the Breeze Center tend to be higher than at the newly opened Mr Cheese.

I’ll get a list together next time I drop by, but I had a very tasty mature cheddar for NT$100/100g. While the selection might not be as wide as at the Breeze, that might improve.

Mr Cheese is near the NE corner of Fuxing/Mingsheng. It’s next door to the Starbucks.

That price sounds about average – I believe it’s what I paid a week or two ago at City Super for real cloth-wrapped cheddar. But I’ll pop into “your” store nevertheless, in the spirit of helping to keep it open for you.
It could be on the way to my office. You don’t happen to know if he makes sandwiches to go, do you?
And I wonder if it’s the same Mr. Cheese that had a shop in Tienmu several years ago, and later, another in the basement of Eslite on Dunhua S. Rd.? He was very knowledgeable about his cheese.

They’ve got a space with long wooden tables. I asked last week what it was for, and was told they’ll be making panini. I had a look in on the way by at lunchtime, but the windows were too steamed up to see in. Not sure if it was a bevvy of happy panini eaters or shenanigans.

Panini with real cheese = my new evening snack, in that case. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks, Highwave.

I’ll try to pop in and give it a try when/if I am in the area this next week.

And you say the shop is cheaper than Breeze and City Super? Hmm . . . this could be a great find. If so, I’ll do my part to make sure that this space does not become a Net or a Hang Ten shop next.

Dropped by last night to check out prices: they range from NT$55/100g for Gouda to NT$190/100g.

BTW, where’s City Super?

You’re in for a treat. It’s in the basement of the Far Eastern Mall at the foot of Dunhua S. Rd. To my mind it’s every bit as good as Breeze or Jason’s. They have a quite wonderful of selection of cheeses, with special emphasis on those small Normandy farmhouse cheeses like Petit Livarot, St. Aubrey, Pont l’Eveque and a bunch of others. They keep them very well, too.

I’m dying for some good bleu cheese salad dressing…

They got any o’ that?

City Super is very good for what it has- but Jason’s still got a better total selection. The gorgonzola at Jason’s is much better.

BTW: Did you see that english cheddar at Jason’s that per gram costs about the same as platinum?

[quote=“Elegua”]City Super is very good for what it has- but Jason’s still got a better total selection. The gorgonzola at Jason’s is much better.

BTW: Did you see that English cheddar at Jason’s that per gram costs about the same as platinum?[/quote]

The English Cheeses they have got at Jason’s and others are imported by an English Chap down in Taichung who is more than happy to do direct deliveries at more affordable (level of the price of Gold) rates.
jeffoasis@seed.net.tw Can highly recommend their Cheddar and Stilton.

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: No shite! Thank you thank you thank you for the tip. First beer delivered to my house, now cheese - what next?

no, don’t answer that

There are some very good cheeses in Taiwan and we at Go West are a supplier of such.
These cheeses are available to all at Forumosa, for details, pricing and delivery please feel free to PM, email or call. Thanks. Go West.

[quote=“Elegua”]:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: No shite! Thank you thank you thank you for the tip. First beer delivered to my house, now cheese - what next?

no, don’t answer that[/quote]
Milk?

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 7&start=60

The availability of so many varieties of cheeses are another reason why Taiwan is so much more liveable now than 10 years ago. I remember making special trips to the Florida Bakery to get blue cheese back then.

We have been taken aback by the requests for information, so whilst we struggle to respond to you all personally please find below a summary of all our current products.

At the centre of the Clawson range is traditional Blue Stilton. It is a creamy coloured semi-hard cheese with greenish blue veining radiating from its centre and has a coat which is crusty, slightly wrinkled with a greyish brown hue. Blue Stilton is normally aged to around 8 weeks. Case