Where to get an Open Work Permit after you get your APRC?

#%&@!^*%#% I just went to Zhonghua Road last Thursday for some other stuff. Even though I’m only half an hour from Taipei I hardly ever go there. Never mind, thanks for the info and I’ll give them a call to see if we can do it by mail. Otherwise I have a good excuse to take half a day off :slight_smile:

How about Kaohsiung? I’ve had one years and I worked in the family business. Now I want to work outside and my original one was lost.

I’d also love some information in Chinese about the advantages of hiring foreigners with APRC work permits. I live in hicksville and many people are not aware of the advantages.

Isn’t a JFRV/APRC already an “open work permit”?

Yeah, well, uh, yes, uh no not really. It’s a mystery, it’s Taiwan.

You got an ARC through marriage, you don’t need a work permit, than you change to APRC and they advice you to get one. Weird huh!

1 Like

Not really. When you have an JFRV you need permission from your wife to work. With an APRC you need permission from the Taiwanese government to work. See? We are not full members of society and always need permission to do stuff, like make money and pay taxes. :doh:


Apparently, marriage + ARC is the magic formula, even if the ARC is not marriage-based, whereas an APRC without marriage is in a slightly different category.

This means Mr. Duke should still have permission to work even before he obtains the OWP, because he’s still married and still has an ARC (with a P added). Still, obtaining the OWP will make things smoother.

(This is not legal advice, so note the word “apparently”.)

1 Like


I am stupid. Sue me.

So, say I get my APRC and shortly after me and the missus decide to part ways. Does that mean I have to now get this OWP? What does an OWP do? Does it allow me to work anywhere that will hire me? Am I exempt from the “Taiwanese First” rule of hiring?

To be safe, get the OWP anyway.

It just indicates that you have permission to work, not that you’re an outstanding foreigner or anything like that.

But it already says that on my card.

Yes, but for APRC holders, the tried and tested course is to obtain an OWP. You should already be allowed to work, but who wants to argue with a bureaucrat or police officer?

OK. Point taken.

So is this just a formality and a matter of filling out a form and paying some cash, or is it a whole application process that needs to be repeated every so often?

Iirc you just need to get a new one when you renew your APRC, but I’ll leave it for people who’ve actually done it to explain. :slight_smile:


It’s quick and easy (same-day pick up) and I think it was like 200 NT. There’s no expiration date on the card. Just has your name, birthday, passport number, APRC number, and issue date.

I let my employer make a copy of it so they no longer have to reapply for a work permit.


Thanks for the heads up.

No Q. :wink:

I just went there (勞動力發展署 Labor Development Agency in Taipei.
Address: 台北市中正區中華路一段39號) today.

I’ve had an APRC for several years, so I brought that, my passport, and a photo (they didn’t require a name chop but bring one if you got one). The bi-lingual instructions on the 10th Floor tell you to ask the (very friendly and helpful) security/service guy to help you. He retrieved a form, helped me fill it out and made a copy of my APRC and passport (NT$4 fee). He asked me if I wanted to pick the OWP up or mailed to me. I opted to pick it up myself and filled out a short form stating so. I took a number, sat down for 45 seconds at which time I was called to the front desk to a nice lady who collected my papers and asked if I wanted to come back another day to pick it up or wait an hour to get it (:rofl:) – this was around 3:15, theoretically if you don’t come too late in the day, you can have it after a relaxing lunch downstairs (I believe they are closed ~12:00-1:30). I returned at 4 and was out of there by 4:15 with the OWP in hand.

Out of over 20 years living here, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with my interactions with the government here … something that probably all other governments around the world could learn from.

So how soon after getting an APRC should you get the OWP? What if you are already working? There appears to be some fuzziness if holding an APRC and married to an ROC national and work permissions. I get that APRC holders need an OWP, just wanting details. Is Taipei the only place to get it?

If you’re married to a Taiwanese citizen, it’s technically not necessary. However, since the APRC doesn’t indicate whether or not you’re married to a local, it’s better to just get an Open Work Permit anyway. It’s quick and painless.

1 Like

Since apparently Taipei is the only place to get the OWP and I don’t live in Taipei, “quick and painless” does not apply. However, thanks for the reply!