Where to get PCR tests in Taiwan (flying to US soon)

We can see just how greedy these businesses can be if permitted to do so. Their profit margins are still in the 1000% range, we don’t need to grieve for them.

1 Like

Mackay hospital omits critical information in their English application, saying it’s 8000 NTD only. And no mention of a cheaper slower turn around test.

In their Chinese version they describe their discriminatory policy clearly…,5800 for regular testing , 7000, and 8000 for the fastest turnaround for citizens and foreigners respectively .

A hospital founded by a Christian missionary !!! :rage::rage::rage:

It’s all here.

https://www.mmh.org.tw/webpage.php?id=208

Some would call the prices extortionate , and with the English application form they are not playing fair.

3 Likes

Wonder where this non-country of RoC gets such arrogance. I mean why are countries putting up with it? Taiwan cannot even make vaccines as yet and is too cheap to pay for enough of them. If other countries say we’ll impose reciprocal restrictions, you can bet the airline industry will pay off people to reverse this stupid policy.

Is there a current list of PCR test providers? I need a test for a US flight on Thursday. The links above seem all non-working.

I got a PCR test done this morning. NT$4,500 at Adventist. Still way overpriced, but significantly cheaper than the NT$7,000 I’ve seen elsewhere.

It was the brain-tickling swab. But it wasn’t nearly as uncomfortable as I had feared.

Got the report at 5:00 p.m. Negative! Now I’m prepared for my flight to the US!

If you need to fly somewhere and need this test, I recommend booking at least two weeks in advance.

2 Likes

Just for reference a PCR test is not needed for travel to the US. I used a rapid antigen test from Adventist for $1200 without issue.

It is required to board certain airlines and transit through certain airports, though. I will report on my experiences, including which documents they check for, in the Travel Restrictions thread or whatever threat is most appropriate.

1 Like

Can you get tested at the TPE airport and get the result the same day prior to your flight if you don’t have time?

I know they have PCR testing sites at the TPE but for some reason is only for incoming people. Seems they should open it up to any one who needs to get tested for travel too.

Where around TPE can someone get the fastest PCR test done with report issued quickly for travel purposes? Anyone know?

They do have tests at the airport for departing passengers, but you have to reserve in advance and they’re often booked up.

You can get a same-day PCR test (test in morning, results in evening) at the Taiwan Adventist Hospital in Taipei for NT$4,500 (cheaper than most). But you have to book in advance. I would recommend at least 2 weeks in advance.

Yes, the testing situation in Taiwan is not being handled well.

1 Like

Do you know what their website or email is for reserving? Any idea how fast the turn around time is on the results they get? Is it while you wait or several hours for the results?

Anyone knows a good hospital in taipei or kaohsiung to get the PCR test for air travel, I have a flight on November 1 but it seems most hospitals have closed their PCR test application / registration. I would need the PCR test taken within 72 hours before departure on november 1, did not expect that this would turn out as such a hassle to get a simple PCR test

Thanks

Edit:
Never Mind, found one, stupid me xD

My better half has to go back the US for family issues, so he got the PCR test at TMU in Xinyi. It was a traumatizing experience because you had to go into the emergency room to register and there were so many sick people there. Then, back and forth to get a hospital band, wait for another paper, then the test. They used the outdoor gloves kiosk and it was extremely painful. Then, we had to go back into the emergency room to pay.
Last time, we went to ShuangHo and they did the test outside but without those rubber arm things so they have more control and don’t need to jam it into your sinuses until it doesn’t stop.
Definitely recommend kinder and more organized ShuangHo over TMU as we didn’t have to go in with the sick people coughing and carrying catheter bags. The price is reduced to 4500.

1 Like

I got mine done at the Adventist Hospital in Taipei.

Why pay for the (unpleasant) PCR test for US travel? Rapid tests are 1/3 the price or less and your nostrils will thank you.

I agree. How do you get the rapid test with a report the airline people will accept?

1 Like

If a hospital does the test they will give you a report with all the info on it. I know at least Adventist does this for $1200 all in, probably many others. When calling up to ask you want to see if they offer 抗原快篩.

1 Like

Thank you! We like Adventist hospital and will try this.
I like the pharmacy drive thru method in the US where you take your own sample under a pharmacist’s supervision. No pain and a report in a day or so. It’s also safer for medical personnel.

Looking at the translation, you are referring to an antigen test, right?
It seems the US CDC accepts it and with more time allowed for fully vaccinated people.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html
I wonder if Taiwan will reciprocate. I know someone who was denied boarding from the US to Taiwan because a PCR test was required.

1 Like

Yes, a rapid antigen test.

Hi All,

Just wondering if I could get some feedback? I need a rapid test to go back to Australia (i could get pcr but they’re expensive)

However the hospitals I’ve found that are issuing english certificates for rapid tests don’t note the brand of test administered on the certificate, which Australia requires.

When I’ve asked of they can add this the typical response is a polite version of “It’s good enough for the US so it should be good enough for you”

Is anyone able to tell me if their rapid certificate notes the brand of test administered?

The only place I’ve found that is happy to meet Australia’s requirements is really far away :frowning:

Thanks!

2 Likes