Where to learn basic Mandarin Chinese?

Hello,

I would like to know where I could learn chinese. I work and I would like to have 2 or 3 hours by week. If you have an idea. Do you know organism?
Thanks you.

Hi lise42, and welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:
Are you talking about Mandarin Chinese, or Taiwanese (Hokkien, aka Minnan and Min)?

Hi,

I’m not sure. I would like learn chinese for speak thinks necessary. For exemple to ask something on the road. Orwhen you eat on restaurant you could ask what you want to eat…

So what is the best solution for these?

Thanks

Anne

Are you up north, or down south? Foreigners more commonly learn Mandarin first, especially up here in the northern part of Taiwan, but those in southern areas, more rural areas, and missionaries often learn Taiwanese. For basic survivial Chinese, I’d suggest you start with a bit of Mandarin, in which case this is not the right thread for your post. I’ll split it off for you.

Note that in the Learning Chinese forum index, we have a list of commonly asked questions and popular topics. When posting in LC, please start by having a look there, to see if there is already a topic on the subject.

Here are some of the topics you may want to look at:

[color=darkblue]Studying Mandarin Independently[/color]

[ul]What’s the best way to study Mandarin independently?
[/ul]

[color=darkblue]Studying Mandarin Chinese in School[/color]

[ul][url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/new-official-list-of-approved-language-schools-from-moe/24623/1 official list of approved language schools from MOE[/url]
Private Language Schools in TW
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/scholarships-for-learning-mandarin/19957/1 for Learning Mandarin[/url]
Questions about PROCESS for student visa
Government-sponsored spouses classes

[color=#0000FF]Individual discussions of the major places to learn, and choosing between them:[/color]
Chinese Language Division (CLD) at NTU
NTNU’s Mandarin Training Center
Chinese Culture University (Wenhua MLC)
Chinese course at Fu Jen Catholic University
Choosing between the University Programs in Taipei: NTNU, NTU’s CLD and NCCU
Night classes
Weekend classes
Individual classes at TLI
Best place in Taipei to study lower intermediate Chinese?

Studying Mandarin in Eastern Taipei: Neihu, Xizhi (Xizhi), Nangang (Nankang (Nangang))
[color=#0000FF]Studying Mandarin in Taiwan (outside of Taipei):[/color]
Taizhong (Taichung)
Taoyuan
Tainan
Gaoxiong (Kaohsiung)
[color=#0000FF](Please run a search before asking about specific schools, and post your message in the existing thread on a school, if any)[/ul]

Oh man. You can just imagine how bad this sounded.

mandarin lessons

6 Likes

I feel like it would sound like listening to a doge meme
SEMOAH!?

1 Like

Semoah? Whay semoah? Waw poot sue dah. Waw bushee whan. Dway boo chee.

Shay shay nee.
Sigh chien.

1 Like

Whay Semoah ?

1 Like

Phuk me that is some mad shit…

1 Like

Could work with the basics
no ?

P-JOE
SHAY SHAY NEE

1 Like

I imagine it was probably a pretty accurate transcription of the way GI’s butchering Mandarin sounded. :smile:

1 Like

Funniest s@$t I’ve read in years :joy: :joy::laughing::sweat_smile:

1 Like