Where to live in Taichung?

I’m planning on moving to Taiwan in August to teach English (duh). My current plan is to live in Taichung. Just looking for any advice about the area. What neighborhoods/districts are the best to work and live in? Which schools I should apply to first?

The main reason I chose Taichung is because it’s north, not as large as Taipei (but close enough to get to Taipei for a weekend or something), and the weather is nice.

Any and everything is appreciated. Someone who lives there and knows their way around would be sweet as well.

Thanks,
Thomas

i’ve been looking for the same answers with no luck

The questions are a bit broad, there are some great answeres in this forum (though searching through them all can be a major pain)

I like Beitun district, but there arent a ton of foreigners here and if yer not gonna get a scooter (which you will probably break down and do, even ifya dont think so, since taichung has no mrt) its kinda far out.

Most westerners live in xitun or west district. There (by zhoong ming south road and taichung port road…that whole intersection) you can walk around and see all sortsa white faces. Not sure that’s whatya want (its not what I wanted, so I don’t live there). its also MUCH more expensive in terms of rent (I know people who pay twice as much, literally, than I do for the same place, or people who pay almost as much for a studio as I do for my 3bdr).

A lot is gonna depend on WHERE you get your job. Ifya work in Shalu, it would be like almost an hr to beitun.

Ifya have any specific questions feel free to post them…

[quote=“Confuzius”]I like Beitun district, but there arent a ton of foreigners here and if yer not gonna get a scooter (which you will probably break down and do, even ifya dont think so, since taichung has no MRT) its kinda far out.
[/quote]

I also like Beitun. That’s where my in-laws live. Nice, quiet area but like you say, it’s not really near anything. But I do enjoy walking around there and there’s lot of good little places to eat. I think there will eventually be a MRT station there which is why my wife’s older brother bought the apartment there for the parents.

It’s not like Taichung is swarming with foreigners in any district. People pay more to live in the more central areas with shops and restaurants, thats all, but Beitun isn’t real far anyway.

Just moved to Taichung this week from the US and I’m looking for a place to rent either by myself or with roommates. I don’t know anyone here so I’m looking to make some friends as well. Does anyone know of any apartments for rent or schools that need a TEFL teacher? Thanks in advance, Kel

Hey, I’m moving over in a few months time - I’m an Aussie working in the UK atm - so any advice and info on what you find out in the meantime to help me hit the ground without coming to a grinding halt would be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

keep in touch mate!

Try searching Tealit for apartments. Here is a search link. If you already have a job lined up, then it’d be in your interest to find something close to there. Then again, with a scooter, most places around Taichung can be reached within 15 minutes. They are building an MRT but it’ll probably be a few years before it’s ready.

By the way, my company in Taichung offers one on one classes teaching Chinese from my office in Nantun District for only $350 NT an hour. PM me if you’re interested.