Where to live in Taipei for a daily freeway commuter?

Having done almost 2 years out in Taoyuan, it is time to seriously consider the move into Taipei before insanity sets in.

This is the deal: I have to commute by car out to CKS everyday for work.

So I’m looking for your feedback/suggestions about an area to consider that:

• is minutes away from #1 freeway or the expressway feeders and has off street parking.
  • has reasonable parks & trees nearby for walks, MTB, walking a dog
  • has good restaurant/cafe/shopping scene nearby (i.e. a few mins walk)
  • is close enough to cab into/out of downtown for under 200nt
  • has good public transport

Basically, somewhere that is easy to commute from, but also the kind of place you can relax in at night or the weekends, and still is close enough to the buzz of downtown.

Cheers.

I am not sure why you would like to live by #1. Normally it takes me 40-50 min. from Hsindien to CKS on #3.

Ok, good point. #1 or #3, although I do see a fair bit of congestion around the #1/#3 interchange, so it can be easier and quicker to jump off the #1 at Nankan and head towards CKS from there.

40-50min is a good duration, I just don’t want it ot be 90min :noway: before 8am and after 5pm.

the trouble with the freeways is the pure unpredictability of them.

xindian or muzha would have you close to the mountains but also close enoguh to the 3 for zipping through to cks

[quote=“Truant”]Having done almost 2 years out in Taoyuan, it is time to seriously consider the move into Taipei before insanity sets in.

• is minutes away from #1 freeway or the expressway feeders and has off street parking.

Basically, somewhere that is easy to commute from, but also the kind of place you can relax in at night or the weekends, and still is close enough to the buzz of downtown.

Cheers.[/quote]

Whilst I would love to have you as a neighbour of mine ere in Muzha, we are not near many good restaurants or shopping.

I would suggest the XinYi area, near Taipei 101.

• You can get to freeway No. 3 in minutes via the new tunnel connecting XinYi with Muzha (little traffic via this little baby). You can also get to #1 quite easily, via the Civic Boulevard expressway and JianGuo North Road, though the latter is very slow near the freeway.

• Parks and hiking trails are minutes away (both including trees and both more than reasonable - in fact, glorious).

• Some of the best shopping and eats in Taipei are right on your doorstep.

• You can cab most Taipei locales for under NT$150.

• Has a bus station and MRT stop. Also five minutes from a train station that can take you to Fuhlong through beautiful countryside in under an hour

Furthermore, you would be minutes from me should you need to borrow a cup of sugar. :smiley:

Truant, using the number one really depends on WHEN. From 630-730am it’s ok around Lin ko and CKS to the toll station going into Taipei, but at 7:31 AM to 9:00AM, it’s a flaming nightmare.

Same for going home, 5:30 to 7:00PM…baaaaad.

But if you can avoid the bad times, it’s not too bad.

How about San Chong? :smiling_imp:

[quote=“jdsmith”]Truant, using the number one really depends on WHEN. From 630-730am it’s ok around Lin ko and CKS to the toll station going into Taipei, but at 7:31 AM to 9:00AM, it’s a flaming nightmare.

Same for going home, 5:30 to 7:00PM…baaaaad.

But if you can avoid the bad times, it’s not too bad.

How about Sanchong? :smiling_imp:[/quote]
Yeah I agree. When I first arrived and a few times since I have commuted from Taipei to work and back.

I would be leaving taipei around 6.50am. Even leaving it til 7am seems to add 20mins+ to the journey.
I would be heading back after work at 4.45-50pm, which seems to be ok whenever I head into Taipei straight after work. If I leave it til 5.15-5.30 to get going, it pushs the trip from about 40-50 mins to 80min+. :astonished:

so, to summarize.
TPE-CKS @ 6.50am
CKS-TPE @ 4.50pm

P.S. Oh Sanchong? I’d rather gouge my eyes out.

[quote=“Stray Dog”][quote=“Truant”]Having done almost 2 years out in Taoyuan, it is time to seriously consider the move into Taipei before insanity sets in.

Cheers.[/quote]

Whilst I would love to have you as a neighbour of mine ere in Muzha, we are not near many good restaurants or shopping.

I would suggest the Xinyi area, near Taipei 101.

• You can get to freeway No. 3 in minutes via the new tunnel connecting Xinyi with Muzha (little traffic via this little baby). You can also get to #1 quite easily, via the Civic Boulevard expressway and Jianguo North Road, though the latter is very slow near the freeway.

• Parks and hiking trails are minutes away (both including trees and both more than reasonable - in fact, glorious).

• Some of the best shopping and eats in Taipei are right on your doorstep.

• You can cab most Taipei locales for under NT$150.

• Has a bus station and MRT stop. Also five minutes from a train station that can take you to Fuhlong through beautiful countryside in under an hour

Furthermore, you would be minutes from me should you need to borrow a cup of sugar. :smiley:[/quote]

Dog is right, and you’d be even closer to me.
PM me if want to know more details about this area, I OWN it out there (well, me and bushibanned).
You also get compimentary membership in the Wooshies.
YA!

[quote=“the chief”]
Dog is right, and you’d be even closer to me.
PM me if want to know more details about this area, I own it out there (well, me and bushibanned).
You also get compimentary membership in the Wooshies.
YA![/quote]
So you’re saying the “Hardly Angels MC” would get a nudge then?

(Actually not a bad ring to it: Hardly Angels)

I should add that 40-50 mins. are including a bit traffic jam before Chunghe exit and on #2 around Taoyaun/#1 exit.
The worst I have had is 70min (once only), and the best is 30min (a couple of times).

However, my experience is mostly based on roundtrip to the airport in the afternoons - I am not awake at the time you plan to leave.

I live minutes from NCCU. During weekdays, I catch my company’s shuttle bus that leaves five minutes from my apartment…to Taoyuan…takes anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes depending on traffic…extra sleep for Chewy…much more relaxing than commuting on two MRT lines. :bravo: