Where to live next?

I personally know of three from Vancouver and vicinity, and one from Kamloops.

That could be the reason why it’s the world’s most liveable city. It’s so…calm…and…beautiful…and…boring…If it was a happening city, I don’t think it would make the #1 spot. That’s also why I dislike this city. It has so much potential, yet the government and taxes and Vancouver’s lack of its own uniform identity and wanting to please everyone but disappointing them all. Tons of potential, but no matter how much I bad mouth it (because I can), I’m back there shortly and will mos def raise my family there.

I’m glad Calgary made it to the top ten as well. Calgary is mos def a city I’d want to live in for a year or two before settling comfortably back in Vancouver. After checking out the Stampede last year, dang. Cowtown is pretty sweet. Jobs are more abundant, tax is lower. Work there, save up some, then move back to Vancouver. Rose Country is very mellow. I think many Vancouverites have the same idea as I do about working in Toronto or Calgary, then moving back to Vancouver to raise a family.

True enough. Were I to have a family Vancouver would be a top choice for raising them. It’s a great city to be a child in, or middle aged. Just get out while exploring your potential.

Tainancowboy wrote:

Isn’t Motril in the Costa Tropical, somewhere by Granada?

I may be wrong.

I am a fool.

They must not have included Independence, North Carolina in the survey. Of course, perhaps the city consists of a road sign that says on the front “Welcome to Independence, NC” and on the Back “Welcome to Independence, NC”…

Australia would definetly be a choice destination. I’d go for Baccusmarsh, Melbourne.

About Calgary, the city is booming and it has been for several years now. There is a lot of work there and the beauty of it is you have the best playground only an hour away. It’s called the Rocky Mountains. Some of the best skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing and mountain biking in the world there. There’s always something to do, it’s never boring.

bobepine

Tours, France. It’s called “the flower basket of France”, “the chateaux valley of France”, and Vouvray demi-sec flows freely!

Sigh. France, I’m a-coming home to you…

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Tours, France. It’s called “the flower basket of France”, “the chateaux valley of France”, and Vouvray demi-sec flows freely!

Sigh. France, I’m a-coming home to you…[/quote]

You had your chance to go to France (and do a dance, smarty pants). Taiwan is now your destiny. Bwa ha ha. :smiling_imp:

(Hey, wait, this is my second pick on Imaniou post in 2 minutes. Gotta relax and redirect. Fred Smith is out there. And Comrade Stalin. And Tigerman.)

Whuddievadotayou, Mr. Meanie Pants?

:frowning: :wink:

I am determined to go to France after this school year come hell or high water. Actually the same thing I said about Taiwan at the beginning my senior year of university back in 2000. And it was around this time of year that I made that declaration. Hmmm…is stubbornness setting in again?

:ponder:

[quote=“bobepine”]Australia would definetly be a choice destination. I’d go for Baccusmarsh, Melbourne.

About Calgary, the city is booming and it has been for several years now. There is a lot of work there and the beauty of it is you have the best playground only an hour away. It’s called the Rocky Mountains. Some of the best skiing, rock climbing, ice climbing and mountain biking in the world there. There’s always something to do, it’s never boring.

bobepine[/quote]

Calgary… model capital of Canada.

Vancouver: great for growing up, great for retiring, but perhaps less so for the in-between years.

I can’t believe that.

Well, most of these kinds or surveys are superficial at best. Vancouver use to be a good city to live in, until word caught on, and the floodgates opened. Now it’s overpriced, crowded, has increasingly poor traffic, and too many twits from Eastern Canada, especially Toronto, that “sanctimonious icebox”. It does, however, have good food and it’s close to a lot of leisure areas.

That said, I’m a bit of a hill folk myself, so I am naturally biased against lowland cities. Call it a personality defect, but I prefer Vancouver Island, the Okanagan, and the Kootenays, all three of which are seeing an increasing influx of the dreaded disaffected Vancouverite! :smiley:

In any event, it’s good to see Commonwealth countires scoring well. :discodance:

Even though I was so eager to run away from there, I can absolutely recommend Eastern Europe if anyone’s up for some fun. Budapest and Prague would be on the top of the list. If you make enough money, live in the downtown of either and you’ll have a great time. You won’t lack anything and pay less for almost everything. Nightlife is great, too.
I know a lot of expats there and many of them got so spoiled they will never leave.

[quote=“Jonny Crisp”]Tainancowboy wrote:

Isn’t Motril in the Costa Tropical, somewhere by Granada?

I may be wrong.

I am a fool.[/quote]

My guess is that it’s the Costa del Sol

In Spain you have the Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca, Costa Brava, Costa Dorada, Costa del Azahar and I suppose it’s nice living at either …

[quote=“Jonny Crisp”]Tainancowboy wrote:

Isn’t Motril in the Costa Tropical, somewhere by Granada?I may be wrong.I am a fool.[/quote]Jonny Crisp -
Sorry, didn’t see your post until this a.m.
Here is a map showing Motril relative to Granada -
hotelinks.com/spain/granadaguk.jpg

Motril quite south of Granada. Actually it is right on the coast. Costa Brava, Costa Blanca…Blanca sounds better. I think Brava is farther east.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Jonny Crisp”]Tainancowboy wrote:

Isn’t Motril in the Costa Tropical, somewhere by Granada?I may be wrong.I am a fool.[/quote]Jonny Crisp -
Sorry, didn’t see your post until this a.m.
Here is a map showing Motril relative to Granada -
hotelinks.com/spain/granadaguk.jpg

Motril quite south of Granada. Actually it is right on the coast. Costa Brava, Costa Blanca…Blanca sounds better. I think Brava is farther east.[/quote]

Hey … does anyone pay attention here …

[quote]
My guess is that it’s the Costa del Sol

In Spain you have the Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca, Costa Brava, Costa Dorada, Costa del Azahar and I suppose it’s nice living at either …[/quote]

[quote=“belgian pie”]Hey … does anyone pay attention here …
In Spain you have the Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca, Costa Brava, Costa Dorada, Costa del Azahar and I suppose it’s nice living at either …[/quote][/quote]Belgian Pie -
Yes…and you are close.
Technically the area I am referring to is east of the Costa del Sol and west of the Costa Brava. Its known as Costa de Almeria. Here’s a map:
venere.com/img/mappe/mediter … opical.gif

Its sort of a transition zone that even the locals are fuzzy about. The place is right at the eastern end of Costa del Sol

I can’t believe that.[/quote]Why not? That place is cozy. It’s on the coast and it has a very nice feel to it with its small harbour and trees everywhere. It’s only minutes from downtown Melbourne too. I spent a week with some friends there and I relaxed like I rarely have while travelling. The weather is excellent down there year round. Hard to beat in my book.

bobepine

[quote]Why not? That place is cozy. It’s on the coast and it has a very nice feel to it with its small harbour and trees everywhere. It’s only minutes from downtown Melbourne too. I spent a week with some friends there and I relaxed like I rarely have while travelling. The weather is excellent down there year round. Hard to beat in my book.
[/quote]

I think you’ve got the wrong address. It’s in land between Melbourne and Ballarat. It would be over an hour from the coast. It is close to some rolling hills and is very dry in the summer. It has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. I think I once remember reading a survey that rated it second to a place called Macarthur as the most boring town in Australia.

BTW take it from me someone who grew up no more than 40km from Macarthur the most boring place in Australia, and 200km from Baccusmarsh the second most boring place that the weather ain’t great.

I guess I should make some contribuition to this thread. I’'d like to live in Chilli. Good weather, nice wines, latin life style, cheapish and untamed.

[quote=“Fox”][quote]Why not? That place is cozy. It’s on the coast and it has a very nice feel to it with its small harbour and trees everywhere. It’s only minutes from downtown Melbourne too. I spent a week with some friends there and I relaxed like I rarely have while travelling. The weather is excellent down there year round. Hard to beat in my book.
[/quote]

I think you’ve got the wrong address. It’s in land between Melbourne and Ballarat. It would be over an hour from the coast. It is close to some rolling hills and is very dry in the summer. It has one of the highest suicide rates in the world. I think I once remember reading a survey that rated it second to a place called Macarthur as the most boring town in Australia.[/quote]It’s a while ago and there are a lot of names to remember. I mixed it up, my friends parents lived in Baccusmarsh. She lived in Williamstown, the place I described above.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. :wink:

bobepine

Come on Bobepine you can do better than Williamstown. Although it’s not too bad I suppose. My sister lived there for a while when her husband was still in the navy. Australia has much more to offer. Go to Byron Bay. It has the best weather in the world. It is a magical place. You need only feel the velvet air, and catch the salt on the breeze once and you’ll be sold forever.