Where's the best Malaysian or Singaporean food?

Does anyone know where is the best Malay food in Taipei?? I’m from Singapore. Spicy and hot has always been my nickname. haha.
I have been craving for Malaysian style food in Taipei.But for those that i’ve been to, they have disappointed me. But i’m still in for trying more restaurants till i find my foodland…yum…yum

1 Like

The Banana Leaf on Yenchi b[/b] St. (parallel with Kuangfu b[/b] S. Rd., opposite the SYS Hall).

I haven’t been for 7 or 8 years, but it used to be good, although somewhat lacking in fire.

Don’t know what its like these days.

I walked passed the Banyan the other day and it is no more. I hve noticed a couple of Malaysian restaurants near my house on FuXing N Rd - in that Apocolypse, Feichang Thai. Never tried any of them of course…

There is a cheap one off Shi Da road called Langkawi (spelling?). It is named after the island. Going south on Shi Da Road it is in (I think) the second alley on your right (running off the park). It is on the right hand side of the alley walking down from Shi Da Road.

It was pretty good when it first opened, but they seem to have reduced the menu a bit. The Hainan chicken rice is good, and of course they also do a few currys. I have only visited once recently, and it seemed to have gone downhill a bit. But maybe I struck them on an off day. They also have teh tarik!

If Indonesian is close enough for you then you could try the Indonesian restaurant a hundred meters or so south of Zhong Shan High School MRT station. I don’t remember the name, but it is on the west side of the road, roughly opporite Feichang Thai (I think). The food is great.

Thank you guys, i’ll go try some of it and tell u guys what i think.

BTW, Langkawi is the correct spelling.

Hello Hello,

Please do post if you find any place that’s good/genuine. Ta!

Having spend 7 years in Malaysia and been to one Malaysian restaurant I was less then impressed, expensive and no good. It wasn’t halal either if it matters to you.
Can’t remember the name nor the exact address, somewhere around ChungHsiao b[/b] and TunHwa b[/b] or the next N-S road?

That said there is a small one (well, a food stall rather than restaurant) in the backlane opposite the Brother hotel at the FuXing / Nan-Ching b[/b] junction (MRT Stop). Reasonable and not bad but selection is few.

I think in general food here isn’t made that spicy to suit local tastes.

Hello Hello Hello,

Walk past the Banana Leaf down the alley which it is on and you will find a beautifully done out small Malay restaurant. All the usual fair and cheap. It’s called…I can’t remember. But the sign over the door makes a reference to South East Asian cooking; that’s what got me in there.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Recommendations for Malaysian or Singaporean Food

Would it be asking to much to locate such a thing in Taipei? I was very pleasantly surprised to find a small Sri Lankan stand in Bitan the other day – maybe I’ll get lucky once again. Really missing these flavours sometimes…

Weird. I thought there were already a few threads on that, but I can’t find them.

White Coffee, in Tianmu: 台北市中山北路六段740號1樓 / 1F, No. 740, Sec. 6, Zhongshan North Road. I’ve been there a couple of times and like it.

Oh, here’s the thread I’m thinking of - it’s “over there”: taiwanease.com/en/forums/topic6388.html

Many food courts have Singapore-ish places in them. They mainly focus on Hainan chicken rice.

I like it too. Good laksa and coffee.

A small Sri Lankan stand in Bitan? Surely you don’t mean the small Sri Lankan stand in Bitan? That’s none other than Athula’s Curry House! The legendary Athula is a friend of many of us on Forumosa.

There’s a Singaporean restaurant on the north side of Civic Boulevard between Fuxing and Dunhua, east of Breeze Center. Don’t know the name or address off hand, and I’ve never tried it before.

Yes, the gentleman, Athula, did mention to me he’s been in Taipei for 12 years, in Bitan the entire time, I believe. He’s adjusted things to local tastes, as one expects, but it’s always easy to request no mayo, etc…

Thanks for the recommendations!

Laksa??? Perfect, should try it out

Tried Malaka Kopitiam near corner of Xinyi and Anhe https://goo.gl/maps/EUe3YxDdwYU2

Not recommended. It’s just a typical Taiwanese restaurant that tries to a name itself something else.

No laksa or soups, no nasi lemak, Hainan chicken rice but chicken and rice must be ordered separately which isn’t really Hainan chicken rice if you only combine those two without the other ingredients. No single dishes, everything must be ordered Chinese sharing style.

Nothing to distinguish it as Malaysian food although I did catch one hint of lemongrass in my stir fried beef dish which in reality is stir fried vegetables with a couple pieces of beef tossed in. I also found a few Malay dried fish in the vegetable dish. Other than Randang Beef, nothing else on the menu even appeared more than the typical stir fried Chinese food even though the names try to be Malay like Nonya or Penang style.

Nowhere to be found was any type of spice in either the dishes or even the chili sauce which had absolutely no spice to it.

The best I can find in Taipei is PappaRich which is a chain and not spectacular but it’s the closest I’ve found to Malay food.

Saw a sign at the Taipei train station that 328 Katong Laksa will be opening at Breeze in November. Hope it will be authentic. Otherwise there’s always the laksa at Costco.

There’s a place by the movie theatre near 101, toast something or other. Looks random but thought I might give it a try. Have to head back to White Coffee for the laksa.

Toast Box, it’s a popular Singapore chain. Not sure what they have besides kaya toast and Singapore-style coffee. It would be great if they had mee siam!

1 Like