Which book(s) would you recommend for daily life improvements (intermediate level)?

Hi. With a poor intermediate level, my vocabulary is lacking and I after buying grammar books, I was wondering what’s a good book that can help you in daily life, in everyday situations?

2 Likes

I used to use The Chairman’s Bao https://www.thechairmansbao.com/
There’s a website and an app. It’s leveled readers based on HSK level, up to 6+. News and entertainment, maybe one new article per level per week, with a massive archive. Every topic ever is covered so it’s a great real life way to build vocabulary in context. Audio recordings are at the pace expected for the HSK level of the article. Audio is something I overlooked at the beginning of my Chinese learning journey but see the value of now (and I’m OK with the HSK 6 level material). Need good audio input! Cost is US$10/mo but there’s usually 30% off sales for annual memberships anytime there’s a holiday. If you prefer paper, print the article and use the app to listen to the recording. Then you also have control over font size, spacing and margins based on how you take notes

For everyday situations, there was a bookstore in gongguan that was in a basement of a clothing store that had fantastic situational Chinese books. I regret not buying them, as those covered everything for daily life in Taipei/Taiwan

3 Likes

Thanks, will check this out!