Which Cable Channel is Best for Improving Your Chinese?

I watch BLTV.tv, at channel 7, Taoyuan Dunno which channel is it in Taipei.

At channel 7, I watch ENJOY TAIWAN, THE LITTLE MONKS SEES THE WORLD HAPPILY (or sth like that), and some series. Not all of them have English subtitles.

Thank you in advance for sharing your faves, :)!

Argh, isn’t Enjoy Taiwan that program with that hyperactive condescending dickhead white boy on it? The one who acts like a chimpanzee on speed?

I watch that sometimes as well. I wonder if he (the guy hosting the show) is really like that in everyday life. I hope not.

I find that the worst shows for improving my Chinese are any of the news channels. They speak so fast. All I hear is “Blah blah blah…”.

I watch that sometimes as well. I wonder if he (the guy hosting the show) is really like that in everyday life. I hope not.[/quote][/quote]

:whistle:

tongue
bite
be
nice

I watch that sometimes as well. I wonder if he (the guy hosting the show) is really like that in everyday life. I hope not.[/quote]

tongue
bite
be
nice[/quote][/quote]

It’s you?!

I watch that sometimes as well. I wonder if he (the guy hosting the show) is really like that in everyday life. I hope not.[/quote]

tongue
bite
be
nice[/quote]

It’s you?![/quote][/quote]

bwhwhahahahahahahahahah…

no

You can’t miss an episode of dubbed Teletubbies can you?
Only program I can understand all the chinese in :smiley:

YingFan

FWIW, S.D. Krashen said that nobody has ever learned a language by watching TV. Since that time I have given up trying to learn Chinese by watching children’s TV shows.

That was before he met me.

This is a good topic. Thankyou for starting it, New2Commuting.

[quote=“twocs”]FWIW, S.D. Krashen said that nobody has ever learned a language by watching TV. Since that time I have given up trying to learn Chinese by watching children’s TV shows.[/quote]Do you remember where or when he said that? I don’t doubt you at all, just interested.

Presumably he was referring to the necessity for comprehensible input. Most of the input has to be comprehensible for acquisition to take place. And I find that when I watch Mandarin-language TV, most of the input is incomprehensible so it’s frustrating and inefficient at best.

I sometimes watch the dubbed animal programmes on National Geographic and Discovery, though. I have learned a few Chinese words (mostly spoken, a few character recognition as well) through that. And the programmes are relaxing enough that I can just watch the pictures and not stress about the incomprehensible input flowing through my ears.

I do think that TV can be of benefit to those who have reached what Krashen calls an “intermediate level” – that is, when one has acquired enough language to be able to continue to acquire on one’s own.

I have met several people who have attained good fluency mostly through comprehensible input in the form of TV movies. At least that’s what they told me and I have no reason to doubt them. Obviously they will have had other forms of instruction first.

which channel?

what time?

[quote=“funkymonkey”]I watch that sometimes as well. I wonder if he (the guy hosting the show) is really like that in everyday life. I hope not.
[/quote]

I saw him at the Canada Day Party and he was totally cool and calm like, dude.

[quote=“New2Commuting”]which channel?

what time?[/quote]
Orange

Circle.

Or in other words - what?

Oh, I thought there were no other replies in between.

Sorry, I mean:

which channel and what time is the Teletubbies in Chinese?

Thx,

:)!

’ FWIW, S.D. Krashen ’ FWIW is … ?

Who is S.D. Krashen ?

[quote=“New2Commuting”]’ FWIW, S.D. Krashen ’ FWIW is … ?

Who is S.D. Krashen ?[/quote]

fwiw for what its worth…

stephen krashen…a god among esl teachers

I watched the cartoon channel. Watching English movies with Chinese subtitles helped reading (still does). Soap oprahs are pretty good I think. The language is easy (really good for reading).

Right now pretty much anything helps, but I really did get into watching Cartoons for a while, but it seems like soap oprahs would be easier (when I think about it).

Watching the same (Mandarin) DVDs over and over again helped (me) too.

[quote=“joesax”]This is a good topic. Thankyou for starting it, New2Commuting.

[quote=“twocs”]FWIW, S.D. Krashen said that nobody has ever learned a language by watching TV. Since that time I have given up trying to learn Chinese by watching children’s TV shows.[/quote]Do you remember where or when he said that? I don’t doubt you at all, just interested.
[/quote]

He said it during his monologue at the last ETA conference in Taiwan this past November.

I’ve heard a rumour that one guy learned Japanese from watching old war movies, but I assume it must be an urban legend. And there’s a Russian model in Taiwan on TV nowadays who says she watched a lot of TV to help learn Chinese. I’d assume that watching TV can reinforce your learning once you have a sufficient critical mass, but my hypothesis is that you can’t learn from the TV before that time because it’s incomprehensible. I’ve heard that children learn nothing from TV before they are about 2-3 years old.

As others have said, normal TV can’t really help if you’re at a beginner level. Even something like children cartoons can’t really help because of the funny voices.

But if you can get over that hump, some of the talk shows like 超級兩代電力公司 or 麻辣天后宮 are pretty good. They use plain language, there are Chinese subtitles, and if the guests are interesting, you can usually learn something about Taiwanese society. Korean soaps dubbed into Chinese are even easier, but I find them too sappy to watch for more than a couple minutes at a time.

And I second what others have said about that white chimpanzee on speed. He’s trying to pull off some sort of zany, Jim Carrey-like schtick, but it comes off like fingernails on a chalkboard. And his Chinese is horrid.

That is what he said, but what did he mean, and was he right, and who the fuck is Krashen anyway?