Which doctor to see for kidney health?

I had some kidney issues in Italy likely due to diet and genetics. I would like to check on it again once I return to Taiwan. I wanted to do it earlier but I don’t want to risk going to the hospital in Italy. Which is the correct department in Chinese to get a check-up for kidney health?

泌尿科

3 Likes

You don’t need the Chinese. Everything’s in Chinglish. Just head for “Renal” or “Internal Medicine”.
My pulmonologist treated me for liver and kidney problems.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

After all these years, I’m still unclear on what the definition of internal medicine is.

I assume it’s heart, liver, kidneys, lungs, spleen, etc. All those inside thingies that require probes and surgery to look at/fix.

It’s anything that’s not surgical, essentially.

1 Like

內科

1 Like

A nephrologist is specific to kidneys. I can’t read Chinese, but Google translate gave 肾科医生. If kidney stones a urologist should be fine.

Good news. No kidney disease. Although overall function is tiny bit low for my age, nothing to worry about unless I’m doing something to damage it like drugs or extreme diets.

The doctor was pretty nice and competent and didn’t rush me out this time.

1 Like

So what’s a urologist doing?

Checking out your pee-pee and fiddling with your colon.

1 Like

That would be the job of a proctologist. That urologist must have really liked your colon.

Sorry. I meant prostate. :flushed:

Well, to be fair, the prostate can be stimulated from the colon.

Everything exiting your kidneys?

Fixed!

Just don’t put any mayo on my fries. Thanks.

That’s one of many ways we eat fries, Belgian fries at that! Not the ‘Frenched’ fries. We don’t do ‘kidney and fries’, although it could be a good way, with sauteed onions.

1 Like

No matter how well I prepare the kidneys, I can never get all the ammonia taste out of them.