Which free anti-spyware do you prefer?

Which free anti-spyware software do you prefer?

• AGV Anti-Spyware
  • Ad-aware
  • Windows Defender
  • Spybot - Search & Destroy
  • Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Toool
  • Yahoo Anti-Spy

0 voters

I have a special folder on my desktop that I call my Anti-Malware Arsenal. It contains a number of anti-spyware programs. This morning I ran all of them in an attempt to determine which one was the most effective without removing the incumbent malware.

These are screenshots of the results I got:

There were two problems:

1. Some programs didn’t pick up anything.
  2. The programs that did pick up malware, did not recognize the same items.

Afterwards, I also tried to use the “free” version of Spyware Doctor which recognized 32 infections, but when I tried to delete them, I was informed that I had to purchase it.

I’m also ran Yahoo Anti-Spy afterwards (after removing previously recognized malware) which identified a further item. I was surprised when I tried it the first time when it identified a trojan horse and removed it. The trojan horse was not picked up by any of the other programs.

So, is your conclusion that we should try to use a combination of programs (redundancy) to ferret out the malware?

Right now I’m using AVG and Adware (free versions) and things seem ok. I will look into the Yahoo one.

I have Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware, oh yeah, and the Microsoft thingy.

BUT, my bestest anti-spyware tool? Seriously? Using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. I don’t believe I’ve had a single item of spyware since I started using it.

Are you saying it becomes redundant because the anti-spyware becomes the unwanted software?
I’m not sure what to conclude. I’ll wait for the gurus to weigh in.

It could be that freeware will never remove all the spyware.

I also have Spyware Blaster, but it doesn’t work like the other programs. I’m never sure whether or not I’m using it effectively because it doesn’t show any results.

[quote=“irishstu”]I have Spybot search and destroy and adaware, oh yeh, and the Microsoft thingy.

BUT, my bestest anti-spyware tool? Seriously? Using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. I don’t believe I’ve had a single item of spyware since I started using it.[/quote]

I’ll try it for a while and see if I get the same results. Thanks.

Are you saying it becomes redundant because the anti-spyware becomes the unwanted software?

I also have Spyware Blaster, but it doesn’t work like the other programs. I’m never sure whether or not I’m using it effectively because it doesn’t show any results.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant redundancy as in software doing the same, overlapping functions, not redundancy as in outdated and obsolete.

But yea, I too use Firefox and it’s been great. Opera is now also offered for free.

I also have Spyware Blaster, but it doesn’t work like the other programs. I’m never sure whether or not I’m using it effectively because it doesn’t show any results.[/quote]

Sorry, I meant redundancy as in software doing the same, overlapping functions, not redundancy as in outdated and obsolete.

But yea, I too use Firefox and it’s been great. Opera is now also offered for free.[/quote]

Is Opera good?

I should add that doing smart stuff like clearing out your cookies and temporary internet folders are all good ideas (which couldn’t be easier in Firefox, btw), as well as not opening attachments from weirdos or responding to pop-ups TELLING you you’ve got spyware or whatever and to download some software to “fix” it (which will inevitably install some malicious software).

Remember kids, be, erm, web-smart!

[quote=“irishstu”]I should add that doing smart stuff like clearing out your cookies and temporary internet folders are all good ideas (which couldn’t be easier in Firefox, btw), as well as not opening attachments from weirdos or responding to pop-ups TELLING you you’ve got spyware or whatever and to download some software to “fix” it (which will inevitably install some malicious software).

Remember kids, be, erm, web-smart![/quote]

OK, Daddy!

I read an online review of anti-spyware programs and yes, their conclusion is that while they do work you need more than one to catch everything.

There is also “anti-spyware” that is itself spyware. And some demand money to fix non-existant problems, so check what you download.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I read an online review of anti-spyware programs and yes, their conclusion is that while they do work you need more than one to catch everything.

There is also “anti-spyware” that is itself spyware. And some demand money to fix non-existant problems, so check what you download.[/quote]

Are any of the ones I mentioned among the bad anti-spyware?

Wikipedia has this list of fake anti-spyware programs.
[color=red]Please do not download![/color]

[quote]Known offenders include:

[color=red][b]* errorsafe
* Pest Trap
* SpyAxe
* AntiVirus Gold
* SpywareStrike
* Spyware Quake
* WorldAntiSpy
* Spy Sheriff
* Spy Wiper
* PAL Spyware Remover
* PSGuard
* Malware
* WinAntiVirus Pro 2006
* WinFixer[/b][/quote][/color]

Please read the wikipedia article for a further 2 lists of offenders and former offenders:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-spyware

I use Firefox, and it’s awesome. I read that it’s been voted the best software ever, followed by Goggle mail in second place. I use the newest version, and it has a spell checker, too! :slight_smile:

I also use AVG anti-virus(the free version) and I like it; it does detect the odd virus. I will look for the AVG anti-spyware, too. Sounds like a good thing to have both the anti-virus, and the anti-spyware free version.

[quote=“irishstu”]I should add that doing smart stuff like clearing out your cookies and temporary internet folders are all good ideas (which couldn’t be easier in Firefox, btw)[/quote]Huh? I use a seperate software for that called “Winclean” and I hate it so I just downloaded another one suggested by Tainan Cowboy in the thread about registry cleaners. Haven’t tried it yet, but I would be keen to know how to do that in Firefox.

[quote=“bobepine”]I use Firefox, and it’s awesome. I read that it’s been voted the best software ever, followed by Goggle mail in second place. I use the newest version, and it has a spell checker, too! :slight_smile:

I also use AVG anti-virus(the free version) and I like it; it does detect the odd virus. I will look for the AVG anti-spyware, too. Sounds like a good thing to have both the anti-virus, and the anti-spyware free version.

Erm… Tools>Clear Private Data

(Personally I leave “Cookies” unticked and remove those individually, otherwise you have to log back into any websites you need a password for, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.)

[quote=“bobepine”]

I’ve just realized that AVG Anti-Spyware also has a built-in registry cleaner.

[quote=“bobepine”]Haven’t tried it yet, but I would be keen to know how to do that in Firefox.[/quote]You can manage your cookies by going to Tools->Options->Privacy There you can delete cookies (You will probably want to keep those for sites you know, so Forumosa will remember your password etc…), or stop sites except ones you say storing cookies (But a lot of sites insist on cookies)

I’m only using firefox now. I ran all my anti-spyware programs again this morning and not a single item was found. Usually my computer picks up several in a day. I hope this will be the case too over the long run.

www.ccleaner.com is another good, and free tool, to keep things running smoothly.

CCleaner stands for “crap” cleaner. As in it ‘cleans out the crap’ that accumulates in your computer. I run it about everyday when I’m ready to shut down. Cool name, eh?

My computer is still as clean as a whistle since I started using Firefox exclusively. 90% of your problems seem to come from the browser you use.

I concur.