Which international news paper do you read in Taiwan

Which international news paper do you read in Taiwan?

• Asian Wall Street Journal
  • International Herald Tribune
  • Weekly Telegraph
  • Financial Times
  • USA Today
  • (any other) please mention in posting!!! :wink:

0 voters

Not (I SAID) NOT including locally published ones…

given the poor quality of the local rags, I have taken to buying a more prominent international newspaper once or twice a week. More expensive, but it usually keeps me going for several days of subway rides.

I was wondering who else now does this too…

Kenneth

I read the Trib but I also like the Friday AWSJ, too. What can I say, I’m just not the numbers guy everyone makes me out to be.

I used to skip the Tribune – didn’t think it was great value becuase the Journal seemed to offer more. Then I realized that there was more I actually “enjoyed” reading in the Tribune than in the Journal. (though I still subscribe to the Journal online – can’t miss that)

A good friend said to me recently – most of what you extract from the Journal is in the headlines, the rest of it is simply crap. Maybe this is why they have the What’s News section so prominent. And I can read that without buying it.

I normally read the NY Times website – for the sports! I know that’s pathetic given the status of the NYPost, but at least the writing is good. I used to be a subscriber (to the Times, please!) back home. But I’m still a little concerned about it’s recent takeover (practically hostile) of the other half of the tribune from the Washington Post. THen again, I wouldn’t really mind if they DID turn it into the International NY Times :shock:

Is it possible to get the New York Times here? If so, where?

try one of the better university libraries or the hotel lobby newspaper concessions.

Kenneth

try this

in NCCU library

I used to read the AWSJ. I wouldn’t say the articles are crap (now the editorials, that’s another story), but the headline writers there really are excellent.

I make certain to check the website of the New York Times every day. But it would sure be nice to have a long brunch now and again with a hardcopy of the Sunday Times.

The Sunday (NY) Times is tough to beat – I’ve heard it said that there is more useful information crammed into one edition of the Sunday Times than what an Englishman learned in his lifetime in Elizabethan England. If I ever find that quote, I’ll post it here (yeah, right)

When I said I subscribed, this was when I lived in Manhatten. I remember seeing the copies of the NY Times in the Big Library across from the entrance of CKS Mem Hall. Also in the old AIT Library (now occupied by Fulbright people, I think) where you can get information about US schools (near the Botanical Gardens off of Chung Cheng S. Road in Taipei)

But between the IHT and the Times website, you could do far worse these days.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Not (I SAID) NOT including locally published ones…

given the poor quality of the local rags, I have taken to buying a more prominent international newspaper once or twice a week. More expensive, but it usually keeps me going for several days of subway rides.

I was wondering who else now does this too…

Kenneth[/quote]

How can you knock Taipei’s local English papers and then put USA Today on your list of poll choices as a prominent international news source?? Put the New York Times on the list.

I read Taipei Times and China Post to learn what’s happening in Taiwan. They’re decent papers for local news, and I don’t think they pretend to be anything more than that.

Actually I don’t read the USA today at all. The list is not intended to represent newspapers that I actually read. Merely newspapers available over teh counter in Taiwan.

I do read most of those on occasion (Who has time to read them all everyday!)

I do read a wider range on the Internet.

NYTimes
Washingtonpost
Daily Telegraph
ft.com
etc.

If you want to talk about the local rags, please find the other (extensive thread on this issue) I was hopeing we’d talk about the international ones here. And if you don’t know the thread, it’s here http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=2410

Kenneth[/url]

The Christian Science Monitor. It’s a great paper, even though it’s owned by some weird Christian sect. And it’s free!

csmonitor.com

Probably just a rumor put out by the NYT.