Which is best - Xbox, P2 or the Game Cube?

I’m thinking about buying either the Xbox, P2 or Game cube, but want to get some opinions first.

1. Which do you think is best?
  2. Would buying a certain one in Taiwan cause any problems when you take it back to your home country.
  3. You can play dvd’s on the Xbox and P2, but what regions does this support? (just the Asian zone, or worldwide)

Thanks Amos

I like the ps2 better. ps2 has more games than any of the other consoles. It plays dvd without the need to get the remote. The remote makes it better as a dvd player but I still like a normal dvd player better becuase the ps2 can not play a vcd. I personally don’t like any microsoft stuff. The xbox is just a small pc. I really don’t see a point in buying a small pc when I already own one. From what I heard of the tech support, it’s annoying. You have to call microsoft to get a code in order to reboot the machine when a problem arises. If previous microsoft products are any indication, you will have to do that a lot.
From what I know, ps2 and gamecube have regional coding involved. I don’t know about the xbox. Gamecube regional coding is easy to fix. ps2 regional coding is a bit harder to deal with. from the places I know in California, it cost $150USD to fix a ps2 because it has to fix three chips instead of one like the old ps1 and gamecube. There is a price drop in the US for the ps2 to 199USD so there is really no legal incentive to fix it.
As I mentioned before ps2 comes ready to play the dvds out of the box. While the xbox needs the software and remote control in order to make the dvd player work. As far as I know, they only work for the region the machine was produced for. If they come in a region free form, the movie industry would have a fit. I know of a cd called “Region X” that you can load in before the dvd to select the region to match your dvd. It’s about 900nt at guang hwa. Other places will sell a cheaper version that works just as well for about 600nt.

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by amos: I'm thinking about buying either the Xbox, P2 or Game cube, but want to get some opinions first.
  1. Which do you think is best?
  2. Would buying a certain one in Taiwan cause any problems when you take it back to your home country.
  3. You can play dvd’s on the Xbox and P2, but what regions does this support? (just the Asian zone, or worldwide)

Thanks Amos

1- It depends–look at the games. I don’t have much faith in the XBOX and think it’ll be the first casulaity. Microsoft has already done some really boneheaded this with the XBOX… The E3 expo is going on right now. Big ‘N’ had a nice press conference showing lots of cool games—sounds like the pres of Nintendo needs to learn how to play them before demoing them himself .
The PS2 has tons of great games. Both PS2 and XBOX games are available in “pirate” form, unfortunately (well…unless you like cheap copies).

2,3- If you buy a Japanese console, it’ll ONLY play Japanese games (unless modified). Same with American, European versions. As for the DVD region, they only play DVDs in that specific zone (ie buy a US ps2, region1) (again, unless mod’ed)

I have heard there is a “local” version of the PS2 that will run Jap games and chinese-language-ports of those games. I also heard they are significantly cheaper than the official Jap-import models.
Whether these machines are clones made in China or Taiwan – or pre-modded old Japanese stock – i don’t know, but i do know they are “grey” and come with no warranty … anyone else on the grapevine?

Ps2 and Xbox are the only choices I would think about at the moment. Why? Ok shoot me I dont care, because the Xbox and Ps2 have both been cracked and have copies available for them. Yes lecture me about supporting developers if you wish, but anyway I’d go for ps2 or xbox. Ps2 has a lot more games out, but they also have a lot more shit games. In the last year the ps2 games have finally come up to what i consider decent/ok quality, before that the Dreamcast beat the ps2 99% of the time game quality wise, in my books anyway. So ps2 or xbox? Both, true the xbox may die out, but when your only paying for the console and a modchip, who cares how long it lasts. My Dreamcast was only good for 1 year, but was more than worth it.

quote:
Originally posted by markshih: I know of a cd called "Region X" that you can load in before the dvd to select the region to match your dvd. It's about 900nt at guang hwa. Other places will sell a cheaper version that works just as well for about 600nt.

Mark, do you know if this Region X CD is only for PS2 or if it will also work for a regular DVD player?

quote:
Originally posted by sandman:

Mark, do you know if this Region X CD is only for PS2 or if it will also work for a regular DVD player?

It’s only for ps2. You can buy a non region dvd player in Taipei easily. A lot of the stores near guan hwa sell non region dvd players.

Mark

1)Look at the games you want to play. PS2 has more “cool” games while Gamecube has the “classic” games (Mario, Zelda, etc). If you like playing arcade style games, I would say PS2.

2)It depends where “home” is, the only problems I can think of are voltage (120V in Taiwan) and TV signal (PAL vs NTSC)

3)If you buy your PS2 in Taiwan now, I’m sure it will support all regions, just ask them to “fix” it for you.

1)Look at the games you want to play. PS2 has more “cool” games while Gamecube has the “classic” games (Mario, Zelda, etc). If you like playing arcade style games, I would say PS2.

2)It depends where “home” is, the only problems I can think of are voltage (120V in Taiwan) and TV signal (PAL vs NTSC)

3)If you buy your PS2 in Taiwan now, I’m sure it will support all regions, just ask them to “fix” it for you.

Sounds the the ps2 has kicked some serious arse in this debate. So how much is it? I saw one on a pamphlet for $NT9,800 but haven’t shopped around seriously yet.