Which is better, a monthly pocket Wifi or a Broadband set-up for an apartment?

Hi. I got offered a really good rental price for an apartment near Taipei Main Station. Unfortunately, the apartment doesn’t have WiFi. For my primary sponsered job, I can work from my apartment, but I need really good internet. It does have a wall LAN cable, but without internet. My question is multi-fold:

1. Which would be a better option, setting up my own apartment internet or getting a monthly prepaid pocket WiFi?

2. Where and how much is it to get a monthly pocket WiFi? Any experiences?

3. how would I set-up boradband internet in my own aparment, if I am not the owner of the apartment? Any experiences? What is a good price?

Thanks in advanced

I run my internet from my phone. It’s as fast as an Ethernet connection.

2 Likes

Your own broadband will be better.

$999 bundle at Taiwan Mobile gets home cable internet and unlimited phone internet.

1 Like

You should be able to use any SIM that has data in an unlocked pocket WiFi device. You can buy the pocket WiFi device online (don’t rent it as it sounds like you’re going to be here for a while) and pop the SIM card in. I think I paid somewhere between $4000 and $5000 for the device. Data cost will depend on your carrier and plan.

Wired broadband will be faster and more reliable but if you get good signal in your apartment, pocket WiFi might be acceptable.

1 Like

If you want fast and reliable internet, pocket Wi-Fi most likely won’t cut it. It depends on the device, but most pocket Wi-Fi units are low spec. You’d want to rent/own something that supports carrier aggregation and MIMO.

I rent an LTE router every time I return to Taiwan (e.g. https://www.ivideo.com.tw/wifi/50294 (3CA, 4x4 MIMO)). Given the choice, I’d prefer broadband internet. I just never stayed long enough to warrant the installation cost and contract.