Which is better? Taiwan Fixed Line Broadband vs Hinet ADSL?

We’re considering which one to choose. We currently have CHT but we are considering upgrading unless we can a better deal on CHT. But what’s the reputation like of Taiwan Broadband? Do they fix things? Is it reliable?

Kenneth

a pair of coconuts stretched on a string would be better than Hinet ADSL. Even carrier pigeons, or despatch riders on teams of ponies would have a faster down rate, and as for the upload times, geez, I have time for a shower, a shave and a shit before the simplest email flies away.

Never heard of them, but then again, I’ve never lived in area that they service.
Considering what they offer, it looks good.
10/2Mbit connection for NT$1050 isn’t half bad, I only have half the upload speed of that for about the same money.
They even seem to offer 16 and 30Mbit down which is very impressive.
Their digital cable TV service seems to be just as crap as what I get with Kbro, we’re returning the box as it’s just not worth having the service.

Not really impressive as most sites don’t upload at anywhere near that speed so the downloading bandwidth really unusable. I have lines with 100mb download speed.

Now apart from buying Cisco routers which can handle that sort of speed… where can I find sites where I could use even better that 5mb down?

I guess you and I don’t download the same stuff from the same places then, I’ve maxed out my 10Mbit connection many a times.

As so often personal experiences differ, I had a hinet ADSL connection and no problems, even with an upload speed of 640k only.

Huge problem of Hinet is that they are blocked by a lot of ISP (specially Japanese) so you have to find proxies to visit their webpages.

Also, they seem to cap p2p, so be warned.

Hinet does not cap p2p… complete porky pies there… I run p2p streaming business… with hinet backbone fiber in my office. As for overseas sites… never had a problem…

Exactly, you run a business, not the same as their shitty ADSL Service which suck eggs and that’s the honest truth.
They do cap P2P during certain times of the day and they also slow down a lot in the evenings when people come home from work.
I’ve been there and I’m not going back.

I stream to my home never been capped. I only have the standard ADSL at home. Same goes for all my other customers. They are the people that would know about it if there p2p streams were being capped.

Some are running along on from my 5mb uploads and getting 4.5mb downloads on there side.

I have other friends on the 10mb 2mb FTTB who don’t have problems either with their bit torrentsand other p2p streams. No net provider in the world guarantees speeds. Especially when the sites you are accessing are in other countries.

Yes, that’s INSIDE Taiwan, I don’t think that’s what we’re talking about here…
I thought you knew how this stuff works, but I guess I was mistaken.

maybe i was exaggerating a wee bit there.

the simplest of emails will upload fast enough, but put a 1 MB picture on it and it takes maybe 3-4 minutes to fly away. seeing as I have a lot of 5 MB documents to return to clients, that takes a lot of time that I would rather not have to wait for.

perhaps it’s a problem related to the fact that i live in a monster building, and we probably have one connection to the whole place that gets shared between available users. you DO NOT get the offered rate for most of the time, that’s a maximum rate. if that’s only available 15% of the time (ie 3-4 am) that’s a rip off.

and they DO cap domestic p2p (in my apartment at least), which can be avoided by turning on simple encryption. use no encryption, you download well for several minutes, maybe 10-15, then suddenly the pipe jams shut. turn on encryption, and suddenly you jump back to the highest rate available, usually the one that you started on.

I think maybe you guys are talking past each other … the entire internet is p2p in a general sense, capping is done on specific protocols (like BitTorrent).

I used to get slightly strange traffic patterns on the 2M/1M ADSL line, but now that I have 10M/2M FTTB there’s no sign of any kind of shaping. Both ChungHua.

ADSL is a shared technology from the local exchange and onward and if the bandwidth from the exchange to the main pipe towards the internet isn’t high enough to cope with the demand from that exchange, then you get slow downs.
FTTx can cope with a lot more traffic, as there’s a lot more bandwidth available.
Cable modems are usually the worst, but if you’re on a hybrid FTTB/Cable modem setup like I am, then it doesn’t seem to be a problem.
All I can say from experience is that the ADSL service in Taiwan is crap and I have many friends that agree.

More than 70% my p2p clients don’t even live in Taiwan. Most of my streaming or file uploading is to overseas, some in the USA, South America, Japan, China, HK, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia, UK and Belgium.

So I excuse you for your ignorance. :smiley:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]ADSL is a shared technology from the local exchange and onward and if the bandwidth from the exchange to the main pipe towards the internet isn’t high enough to cope with the demand from that exchange, then you get slow downs. FTTx can cope with a lot more traffic, as there’s a lot more bandwidth available.
Cable modems are usually the worst, but if you’re on a hybrid FTTB/Cable modem setup like I am, then it doesn’t seem to be a problem. All I can say from experience is that the ADSL service in Taiwan is crap and I have many friends that agree.[/quote]

Taiwan has one of the best broadband systems in Asia. It’s always nice to ehar Europeans bragging about their supposed high speeds back home, but in reality they are not.

I have uploaded quite a few large data files for clients to their overseas servers using VPN… never had any problems.

Many do not have problems at all. So perhaps you dont use fixed IP lines… I dont know I have freinds with normal 10mb 2mb lines and they never complain about slow speeds. However Hinet does have a speed system where certain clients get the maximum priority on connections all the time. Like Government offices, stick exchanges, financial centers… and me lol.

Other non essential clients such as the lower rung home adsl users get the standard UP TO rates. I bet if you do speed tests in Taiwan your speeds are as advertised.

You already said you are getting 10mb down on your lines so thats as fast as you can go I expect.

If you really need faster downloads I am sure you could pay for a bandwidth that suits you. After all… it’s only money. :smiley:

I wasn’t complaining about my current FTTB/Cable hybrid connection, it’s great, but my old 8/640 connection on ADSL was a load of…
But in your case of the uploads, that is still from your Fibre connection, so that doesn’t really count, as you have paid for that bandwidth and that is what they deliver. I bet you wouldn’t have the same experience if they tried to connect to your home connection…
Europe sucks in general from Taiwan, I can’t get good speeds to anything in Europe, not in this connection, not on the old one. Sure, it works, but compared to Asia, Australia and the US, it’s about 1/10th of the speed.

Well if you have FFTB then your max is around 2mb uploads… I can get that to anywhere in Asia… on speedtest.net all my uploads in Ais Australia USA are around 2mb - 2.5mb up… and thats clients side.

My 640k up 8mb down I dont use for upload streaming… it’s a bit off the pace for what I need but can be used in emergency. I can get around 550 - 550K from my home ADSL in Alishan to China. The good thing about Alishan is that the bandwidth s not overloaded with subscribers so speeds are actually pretty good.

I can stream really well at up to 5mb at home on the 8mb, which again is fine.

ADSL speeds are rated for the country they are used in, so in Taiwan you don’t complain about connection speeds.

Maybe hinet havent run direct fiber lines to Sweden, but they have into China.

You can see some of my speed tests here forum.taiwansatellite.tv/viewtopic.php?t=385

I’ve seen your speed tests, but as you’re saying, you live in the sticks, so you don’t have to compete with other users over the bandwidth available.
And I’m not talking about Sweden here, I’m talking Europe wide. Personally I don’t give a rats ass about downloading or uploading to China.
When you use your connection for work and you’re getting random slow downs all day, that’s when you get pissed off and that’s what happened with my ADSL connection all the time.
And no, my cable company only offers 10/1, not 10/2 as some companies, which is a bit crap, but I can live with it considering that they’re not using any parts of CHT’s lines.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]I’ve seen your speed tests, but as you’re saying, you live in the sticks, so you don’t have to compete with other users over the bandwidth available. And I’m not talking about Sweden here, I’m talking Europe wide. Personally I don’t give a rats ass about downloading or uploading to China.

When you use your connection for work and you’re getting random slow downs all day, that’s when you get pissed off and that’s what happened with my ADSL connection all the time. And no, my cable company only offers 10/1, not 10/2 as some companies, which is a bit crap, but I can live with it considering that they’re not using any parts of CHT’s lines.[/quote]

Speed tests are run from my Taipei office not in Alishan… no fiber in Alishan. Just my home in Alishan has the 8mb 640k adsl… modem and telephone line.

Why dont you ask hinet for a business line if the home adsl is too slow. After all, like me you run a business yes?

PS they are all using Hinets lines…