Which is required for teaching in a public school: an education degree, a teaching license, or both?

Years teaching in Taiwan were ignored in my last public school interview. (I walked out. They were only going to recognize 2 years of experience total. Ridiculous.)

It is ridiculous! I’m sitting on the same step I hired in at. Even if I weren’t leaving for Asia I’d be hard pressed to continue working for the district I’m in.

Public school teaching in the US is no longer a job for rational human beings.

I totally agree with that. Despite it all, I’d rather be teaching Taiwan.

Another major barrier for getting teachers to Asia, is the ridiculous concepts/ demands placed by schools in the contracts.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 70&t=55958

I’ve talked to teachers who have never broken a contract (most don’t) who wouldn’t go to Taiwan based on that issue. Likewise, I’ve had friends who was a librarian (there are cameras in libraries) who refused to go to Korea because the hagwon contract said the owner could install cameras in the classroom, a substitute teacher (who only gets paid on days worked) say she wouldn’t go to Korea because the contract said if she missed a day, she’d have to pay back a day’s salary. The bonus situation in Taiwan (often promised, rarely delivered) makes the the schools seem sketchy. Also, there’s the general attitude in Asia that contracts do not impart any responsibility or obligation, except to the employee. A lot of US public school teachers want security in their terrible, low paying contracts.

That said, I’ve personally had/ seen a bunch of US schools mess with contracts/ promised salaries/ benefits.