Which language has the most words?

Weren’t either the Angles or the Saxons “German” anyway?

Angles and Jutes and Saxons were German tribes, you ignorant dipshit. So were the Normans.

English is a Germanic language. All this means is that it developed from the same language that High and Low German, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, etc., developed from. English also borrowed a huge amount of its vocabulary from French, Latin and Greek, and so has a vocabulary that is much more Latin-based than German. However, where a language borrows its vocabulary from does not influence the language family it belongs to. So, for example, the vocabulary of modern Japanese includes thousands of borrowings from English, without making Japanese part of the Indo-European language family.

Yeah, but all of our swear words come from Germanic roots. I know “fuck” isn’t from Latin, it’s from German.

[quote]Angles and Jutes and Saxons were German tribes, you ignorant dipshit. So were the Normans.
[/quote]

Watch your language, dipshit.

BTW the Normans were not Germanic, dipshit.

Brian

Peking Spring,

Please find an appropriate German or Latin verb and place it before “yourself”. Follow instructions…

Tks.

rooftop

I like to use colorful language. That’s the way I was brought up and if you have a problem with the way I talk, gan ni mama puta.

Wow, you really are a dipshit, aren’t you.

Yes, this is what I consider one of the supreme glories of the English language - its double vocabulary. For example, from our Germanic roots: shit, piss, fuck, snot, spit, fart, cock, cunt, arse; from our Latin roots: feces, urine, sexual intercourse, mucus, saliva, flatulence, penis, vagina, anus.