Which Language Schools In Taipei Do You Recomend For A Teaching Job?

I’m a newbie with a TESOL certificate and I want to go to Taiwan. I have been all over the Internet trying to dig up some information about language schools in Taipei. Honestly, the stories I’ve read are nightmare fuel. Getting screwed in your contract, withholding wages, excessive workloads, you name it. However, every now and then some postings will end by saying something like, “thankfully now I work for a great school” but they NEVER say which one they are? I have a huge, and I mean a huge list of schools that people have black listed. This doesn’t really help since it gives me the impression that all of the language schools are horrible. So I want to ask, which language schools have you worked at? Which have a good reputation and which ones would you recommend?

LMFAO
The good schools foreigners generally keep quite about , for selfish but understandably selfish reasons. One of the main reasons it is a mess is because of the libel laws (Pulblic humiliation). This site could get sued even for allowing correct factual information to be posted. Allegedly freedom of speech is allowed here but not if it causes a public loss of face.

1 Like

Would you happen to know of any? I think my best bet is teaching business people (adults) since I have an MBA.

The British Council is the best cram school I’ve ever worked for.

Keep in mind people are much more likely to make a post about a job they hate (or complaints about work conditions) than post about a job they like or love. Not sure why this is… maybe because it’s more interesting to read about, or frustrations with work conditions bring out more pent up feelings. But whatever the reason don’t take the posts here as a true metric of bad schools/jobs vs good ones.

If you can get into the country you can work at my school. Terrible management but at least we are honest.

5 Likes

Your user name does not match with your statement lol
Is that after the puppet Pinoco or is that spelled Pinocio?

The action is “venting”. They are angry and in a way want revenge and since they physically can’t they go for their oppressor’s reputation.

1 Like

This extends to more than just cram schools. Reviews on Yelp, Google, etc. also tend to lean more negative – you have a lot more emotions and will want to let others know it when the food you ate sucked than when you ate somewhere and the food was above average or even excellent. I feel like it might even predate us as humans with language – gotta warn others that your friend ate those berries and died vs. when you ate something last night and you’re still alive in the morning.

1 Like

My wife’s English for Pinocchio. Cute or annoying depending on her moon. :crescent_moon:

1 Like

On that note, I can remember really terrible meals I’ve had much more vividly than really great meals. I even know what my worst ever meal was, but not my best ever.