Which language to use at home with baby?

Sure. For different families it will work in different ways.
I think the most important point is to expose the kids to the languages you’d like them to know. Whether by speaking to them, listening to music, watching cartoons, talking to grandparents, etc. As long as there is constant exposure, kids will get it.

The thing about “one parent, one language” it’s just to make easier for the kid to associate parent with language and to guarantee frequently contact to each language. If you guys found other ways to to it, then fine!

2 Likes

I speak three language. I can keep track of hundreds of people and which language I speak with each, even when they are bilingual. Your kids will be able to do the same. And so even though you and your wife speak both to each other, your kids will very quickly learn to speak only one to you.

I’ve seen quite a few kids here in Taiwan and Korea that are much stronger in one language. Let your kids do the switching with each other or with friends, but not with you.

Being truly bilingual is not an easy thing to achieve. Most people are native speakers in one language and good to very good in another. I wouldn’t mess with what works.

2 Likes

Yes! And it will prevent slipping into the easier language when frustrated, angry, excited, etc.

1 Like

Good point!
Until it comes naturally to them, it’s important not to let them use only the language they feel more comfortable with.

The flexibility and rules must be set by the parents, not the kids.

1 Like

Just a slight correction/comment…In my opinion, and I’m sure many on this forum know what I’m talking about, talking to each parent in a different language doesn’t feel like a rule to the kids. If done like this from the start, it’s just how it is. I’ve never had to ask my kids to stop speaking to me in Mandarin. Not once.

3 Likes

Pretty good point. I almost always speak English to mine, but she often times talks back in Mandarin or a mix which when i understand is fine. I find when she talks to me in that way (my second language) it also opens up a dialogue to let her know that daddy actually doesn’t know everything, and she has an opportunity to clarify her speech and think more deeply on it to try and explain to someone who doesn’t understand. this practice, once it started, helped her temper tantrums out a LOT as she could start realizing, in calm situations, that sometimes it isn’t people are disagreeing or fighting, but just not understanding and she can search inside for a different way to explain. I find this a massive benefit to kids development over a single language household. Same holds true when teaching in a second language course.

Exactly. From the perspective of the kids this is how the world is, they are a blank slate and for them it will be natural. Daddy speaks to me this way, and mummy this way.

1 Like

What matters is which language you speak to the baby, not conversations between the parents. Feel free to speak English between you if that falls naturally.

This is a similar setup to mine and my daughter is now a fluent trilingual.

1 Like

You may be skeptical, but there is a ton of research on multilingualism and the evidence clearly backs this method.

Still, if it feels totally unnatural to speak in one language to your child then it will be better to forget about this and give the kids some more time to sort out the languages.

we’ve been running into this problem also…
our baby already hears so much chinese from my wife’s family, and by just going out into the city in general…

So at home we TRY to do more English, and during story time I will read a book in English and my wife will translate to chinese at the same time

Whenever we move back to America it’ll be a lot harder to pickup chinese though…

I ended up basically not speaking Chinese anymore once I had kids. I wanted to create an English environment at home for them since that was the only place they’d really get English. I read to them a lot, let them watch English TV shows and movies and also provided them with a lot of books for them to read. Now, they read in English all the time and at an age-appropriate level (Harry Potter etc.)

I also used to have one child read one page of a story (they took turns) and the other one would have to explain what was happening in the story.

I was actually getting fairly fluent in Chinese but have lost a lot since I don’t use it anymore. If I ever get to make the move to Canada (put off until next year), I’ll have to start picking it up because we’ll need to set up a Chinese environment for the kids.

My wife used to translate what I said or read to the kids into Chinese but I told her to stop it because I wanted the kids to get used to thinking in English and to recognize that when they were with me, it was English time.

1 Like

would you say your kids think in English more than chinese now?

I think their Chinese is definitely stronger than their English for the simple fact, they spend most of their time in a Chinese environment.

That said, they can switch to thinking in English, for example when reading English books or watching movies.

When we went to Canada and my kids were playing with other kids, they automatically switched to communicating in English, but when they’re alone, they’re more like to communicate in Chinese.

1 Like

Thanks @lazzzlie. You got a great discussion going here and I already feel like I have some clarity for my family. But in case anyone can offer more, here’s my situation:

• Me: English 10/10. Hakka 5/10. Mandarin & Cantonese 3/10
  • Wife: Cantonese 10/10. Longdu 8/10. English 8/10. Mandarin 6/10
  • Grandparents 1: Cantonese 10/10. Longdu 10/10. Mandarin 3/10
  • Grandparents 2: English 10/10. Hakka 10/10. Mandarin 10/10. Cantonese 6/10
  • Also fwiw, I sound like I know Mandarin so I feel comfortable teaching my son what I know. Like I’m pretty good at fooling most people into thinking I’m much better at it than I am. I sound pretty natural, but I understand only half of what my wife does, even though she sounds like a Cantonese speaker butchering Mandarin lol.

Our poor older son (almost 5) spent his first three years hearing a heavy dose of all 5 languages/dialects above and took so long to begin speaking that all the grandparents were very concerned. (Doctor said it was normal and sure enough, ever since he started talking he won’t stop lol) Now he really only speaks English to us, outside of a handful of token phrases in Mandarin and Cantonese that he always used. He also speaks some Spanish (he went to Spanish daycare for several years until covid-19) which I’ve observed when he plays with his classmates but he won’t speak any Spanish with us no matter what we try.

Our second just turned 2 and is saying a lot of words in English and Cantonese but not full sentences yet. I suspect once he really breaks out and begins speaking it will be primarily English like his brother.

Our goal is for them to have conversational skills in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Spanish (in that order of priority) and to that end we plan to move to Taiwan in a year so they’ll be thrown into the deep end for Mandarin. We both want to get our own Mandarin up to 10 so that’s another thing about our move…we may try to switch over as much as possible to a Mandarin-speaking household.

Any thoughts for us? Although I really like what @Caspian said and I think that’s gonna be my gameplan moving forward. What kind of structure should we set up, if any? And also, any thoughts of what to do for the next year here in Miami in preparation for Taiwan? (We’ve been teaching the older one some Mandarin phrases every day…he has been ok receptive to this)

2 Likes

I believe you. I wasn’t clear in my post. I believe this method would work, but I’m skeptical that my spouse and I could each restrict ourselves to only one language for all the years of raising our children! So our “method” of teaching children is admittedly laissez faire.

I will report back on the anecdotal result of our language teaching experiment in another ten or twenty years!

2 Likes

I also agree that “each parent speaks one language” is best when one parent is strong in one language, and the other parent is strong in the other.

But in practice, the rule breaks down over time (for us). My wife’s spoken Chinese is stronger than mine (I speak with an American accent), but my reading is better. For years, my wife hated it when I read to my kids in Chinese. She was afraid that I’d pass down my American accent.

But when my wife could no longer work through our kids’ Chinese textbooks, I took over homework help for that subject.

At the dinner table, I speak English and my wife speaks half English and half Chinese (my wife has a native Chinese accent, but she uses English when she doesn’t know the Chinese word for what she wants to say). My kids speak English to me, (mostly) Chinese to my wife, and half-and-half when we’re conversing as a family and their words aren’t directed at any particular person.

Our household is biased toward English… which isn’t a problem because they get plenty of Chinese outside the house. We used to be strictly half-English and half-Chinese at home, but our kids were becoming too strong in Chinese and their English was falling behind. So, we slanted our household conversation to become more English-oriented (I’m English and my wife is half-and-half). Honestly, this feels more natural, and our kids’ English has improved.

But when it comes to books and homework, (and reading as a family) the REAL hodgepodge of languages sets in.

I’ll help my son work through the Chinese text, but he has learned to ask me questions about the passage in English because I’m the English speaker during casual conversation. I’ll explain in English, which is basically translating it. When we read books as a family in either language, I’m the designated reader.

Memorizing Chinese passages is a bit of a struggle. I’m the one who drills my kids (sometimes my wife doesn’t know the characters) but my wife has the final say about whether my son is pronuncing it correctly. My daughter hates memorizing, so my wife isn’t strict about her pronunciation because we’re happy as long as she does her homework.

When we work on passages above our kids’ grade levels, they’re welcome to translate the passages into English instead of reciting them verbatim in Chinese. This is easier for them because they’re allowed to transate the passages slightly differently each time (not as strict). I’m not sure what my son’s teachers will think when he gets to that level in a few years.

As for what system to put into place… just do what comes natural (as long as “natural” involves both languages in some form!)

We tried adhering to strict rules in the past, but I’ve found that if it doesn’t come naturally, you won’t stick to it for the long haul.

Figure it out as you go along. Constantly re-evaluate. You will run into problems, but you’ll know whether you’re on the right track by listening to your kids speak. If your kids aren’t as strong in one language as you’d hope, restructure your plan and move forward.

5 Likes

You are English and your wife is half English and half Chinese, and she’s a native English speaker? To me, I would just speak to your kids in English. And send them to an after-school school. Pick them up at dinner time with all their homework done and continue with English for the rest of the evening.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, assuming I’ve got the above right about your wife.

1 Like

May I ask why you translate it? Seems that would be enabling behavior that would affect not just language and logic but the relationship sbe has with you.

1 Like

because we want the child to understand both languages? enabling what behavior exactly?