Which motor oil to buy?

Don’t get too excited. I just need a decent motor oil for our 4cyl Toyota to use. A good compromise between utility and expense. Thanks in advance

What type of oil and viscosity does the manufacturer recommend? I used to swear by Mobil 1 back in England, although it was expensive. check out This informative page on oil viscosity to understand what it all means, before choosing your brand. If your engine is older and rattly or smoky, then you might try a slightly more viscose oil to fill in the growing spaces between moving parts.

A cheap high viscosity oil would be something designed for diesel engines…which just means it’s designed to handle higher temps…and higher pressures than a gasoline engine.

Brand new car…dull little Toyota Vios 1.5. I just need a decent brand. Not top o’the line, and not crap either.

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]

Brand new car…dull little Toyota Vios 1.5. I just need a decent brand. Not top o’the line, and not crap either.[/quote]

Mobil1 or castrol that is acording to the standards from toyota and you would be good to go. You probartly find some API code in the manual and on the back off the oil botle. If the oil has same or higher number than the instruction manual asks for then use it.