Which one would you choose?

Hello,
I’m currently working in a solid bilingual school. Recently, this school went through a huge system change. The management system in this school is improper now. Therefore, I need to rethink about my future teaching career.

Pros:
-Over 90,000NT salary
-Flexibility in teaching

• 8 weeks off in summer
  • winter vacation

Cons:

• poorly managed administrators
    -No professional development
  • supervisor is unavailable due to other duties
  • things are done right before the deadlines

Am I just complaining or thinking too much?

*I’ve been teaching for 10 years
*Master’s degree
*US teaching license

People don’t leave jobs, they leave bosses. If you don’t enjoy working under the new management, things are bound to get worse.

1 Like

Buxiban teachers are crying into their convenience store beer as they read this.

That’s a tasty package. Try to find another gig that comes close before you quit.

1 Like

General rule of thumb for anyone in any industry. Unless you’re in a dire situation at the current place of work.

take the money it won’t last forever

90k plus that amount of vacation is a pretty sweet deal. International school?

I second this. I made the mistake of leaving a uni position once without anything else lined up. I had a masters and stupidly thought I’d be fine. But I was humbled when I found how competitive the market had become in the meantime and was forced to fall back on cramschool and middle school gigs. It took me 4 years before I clawed my way back to another uni job. I’ll never make the mistake of leaving a job without having another one lined up again.

True!

Wow…
I appreciate your realistic replies!

1 Like

:persevere:

Haha it’s not easy. But if you want it bad enough then it’s worth the wait.

Every school appears amazing from the outside. Why else would parents pay through the nose to send their kids to schools that we, teachers who have the inside scoop, know are terrible?

When you start looking at other schools, you’ll think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. And then if you switch schools, you’re really just taking a gamble. Maybe it’s better. Maybe it’s not. It’s impossible to tell.

My advice: Stay at your school until you are 100% sure that you can’t take it anymore. Until it’s so bad that if you’re completely sure that there’s no chance that you could switch schools and find that your new school is even worse.