Which snub made you realize the awards shows were all a bunch of baloney?

I vividly remember my parents reacting to Brokeback Mountain losing Best Picture to Crash. Harsh words were uttered. I was sorta young at the time, definitely too young to understand the value of Brokeback, but deep in my heart I knew something had to be very, very wrong, and that no film industry person was to be trusted to gauge a film’s quality or relevance ever again.

1 Like

I’ve always knew.

My sister works in Hollywood and told me how they’re BS to confirm.

Saving Private Ryan, Brokeback Mountain, and a more recent one I’m forgetting.

Random samples:

Al Pacino/Robert Duvall/James Caan (Best Supporting Actor, 1973)
Do the Right Thing (Best Picture or Director, 1990)

It could go on forever, they’re just utter bullshit.

Only check Cannes awards. “Parasite” was friggin awesome.

Just that it seems to only consider big budget Hollywood films for awards
I’ve never watched or followed them. Is it specifically for Hollywood? Is international or arthouse considered for the awards at all?

It just won the ensemble SAG award (best picture equivalent top prize).

Oh, this is the one for me, easily. Whenever Oscars are brought up, I beeline to talking about Crash.

I remember watching a matinee of it, by myself. I was literally laughing out loud in the theater because it’s so ridiculous and unintentionally funny. You could have told me it was a satire and I would have believed you. It should have gotten a Razzy for being serious.

Crash is a movie based on stereotypes written by someone with obviously zero life experience outside of their Hollywood bubble, I presume. And then the people who voted for it, are in the same bubble, obviously again because the ridiculous stereotypes in it seemed ‘normal’ to them.

That’s what I figured out about the Oscars after that nomination…the voters are a bunch of isolated, clueless idiots who want to pat themselves on the back about being socially aware, so they vote for ‘awareness’ movies. Racism, sexuality, war, culture, whatever. I’m not saying all nominees or winners that fit in there are unworthy, but they definitely lean towards those kinds of films.

Brokeback fit that category too of course and was actually good, which just baffles me further.

Up until that nomination I was kinda into the Oscars, not once have I watched or paid attention since, other than using nominees as a general guide for some movies to check out.

It’s all politics. And the cast & filmmakers campaign just as hard (if not harder) than actual government election candidates.

The year The Revenant came out, in the span of two months I found myself at 5-6 parties where partway through somehow DiCaprio just showed up to “shake hands and kiss babies,” as it were— lots of schmoozing with his “constituents” and taking selfies. Bearing (ha) in mind, I wasn’t even close to being invited to all of the parties, so you can imagine what his iCal looked like.

Every year between mid/late October-Oscars ceremony, we call those months the Awards Season.

Saw that after posting. It deserves whatever it gets for awards.

Kendrick snubbed at the grammys so McLemore or whoever got best rap artist or whatever it was