Which Taipei school should I study Mandarin at?

I have been researching schools (i found a bunch of mandarin learning
centers listed at edu.tw/bicer/english/Center.htm ) and i found four that seem promising. Has anyone had experience with any of these and have feedback they’d like to share?

mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/ (NTNU taipei)

ncku.edu.tw/~lang/langcenter/index.html National Cheng Kung University taipei

ccsun57.cc.ntu.edu.tw/~cldcola/ (NTU, taipei)

mcu.edu.tw/admin/mscc/english/main_en.htm (Ming Chuan University, Taipei)

I have a goal of attending grad schoo (math/cs) in taiwan after I spend a year or two working on the language (not sure if that is feasible or not). Does anyone have any helpful links for info on grad school in taiwan for foreigners?

National Cheng Kung is in Tainan, not Taipei/Jilong area.

I was planning to do a Masters degree earlier in Taiwan and found it easiest to contact the Universities directly for course information. There’s very little centralized information. (At least in English).

It should be quite feasible to start grad school after about 18 months of Chinese classes. At least if you’re dedicated to your studies. But I think it mostly depends on your chosen subject. I know people that have done masters in IT here without much problem. They couldn’t even read a newspaper when they started, but the books, assignments and tests were in English.

I would give the program at NTU a try, simply because their program offers more class time (20 hours/week as opposed to only 10 hours/week at NTNU), plus the class sizes are smaller. Both of these are important factors, IMO, to successful second language acquisition. The tuition per semester at NTU is slightly more expensive, but when you consider that you’re getting twice the amount of time in the classroom, with a fewer number of students than NTNU, it is actually much cheaper.

As for the graduate school thing, if you’re planning on studying math/cs, then a year to 18 months would probably be fine.

I’m leaning towards NTU because i have heard it to be a better grad school, and i thought being there for chinese language study would make the transition to graduate studies easier. Though if it’s such a good school i’ll probably never make the cut :slight_smile: It’s odd though, for a school with such a good reputation, their website says they only have 7 students studying for math ph.d’s!

I’m a graduate student in NTU’s Dept. of Chinese Literature. Each school has a quota of foreign students that they’ll admit every year … some departments are very competitive, and they have many more students apply than will be admitted, and others can’t find enough foreign students. It all depends on the school and the department. My department is quite competitive because Taiwan is obviously a pretty good place to come if you’re studying Chinese-related subjects. For many things, though, they aren’t up to the standard of Western universities (or universities in Hong Kong or Japan for that matter). For many foreign students studying in other departments, their main consideration in coming to Taiwan is they can’t afford to go to a school in the West, they can’t get into a good school in the West, or their government is one of the few that has official diplomatic relations with the ROC.

NTU is a fairly good school, although I’m not sure about their math department. You might want to check out other schools as well. Why do you want to come to Taiwan for a math Ph.D.?

I happen to be a good friend of one of lecturers in the math department at NTU. If you want to know more about their math courses he could probably answer the questions you have.

He’s an Australian so you can do your questions in English and get sensible English answers back as well. :wink:

LittleBuddhaTW - My taiwanese GF wants to return home after studying abroad for 7 years. I want to stay with her, but i also want to continue my education, so that’s why i’m looking into grad school in taiwan.

the taiwanese i’ve spoken with about this have said that american college education is regarded better than taiwanese education. So much so, that for an american to attempt graduate studies in taiwan (subjects like chinese lang/culture/art aside.) they would be percieved either as fools, or as someone too incompetant to hold up to american educational standards. That my professors and fellow students would think of me in those terms worries me quite a bit.

lysfjord - i’ll send you a message. I’d like to find out more about the NTU math program and if it wouldn’t be an inconvenience, your friend sounds like an awesome resource.

The reputation of a University has a lot to say. In Taiwan you can’t get any better than NTU. A degree from a well known American Uni will be more recognized. I wouldn’t say ANY American college.

When it comes to actual learning I think it depends on the subject. AFAIK math departments are getting smaller in most universities these days in western countries. The teacher I know at NTU said the the maths going on there within research was much more exciting and challenging than Australia’s Melbourne University where he worked earlier. And Melbourne Uni is considered on of Australia’s best universites.

I think maths are still kept well alive in Taiwanese Universities, so it might not be a bad choice if you’re going to study here anyway. You’ll will save quite a lot on your tuition fees as well. :wink:

While doing some research on chinese schools, I came across ESL Island which gave this info:

[quote] However, there is one ‘special’ school in Taipei, C.L.I., Chinese Language Institution of R.O.C. (formerly known as

Please search the archives here on Forumosa, and especially check the sticky thread at the top of Learning Chinese, about visa-granting schools.

sarah,

Yes, CLI can… and they will for a fee. Of course, it’s illegal, but they do it anyway. Call them, and they’ll explain it to you completely.

Notice the name, “see a lie”?!?!?! Couldn’t be more obvious!

I’m new to the whole teaching/studying in Taiwan realm, but I am trying to plan an arrival in Taiwan for this coming September. My girlfriend is Taiwanese, and we’ve living in Paris for a year (I’m American, though).

Time’s up here, so we’re coming to TW. I’ve decided both for educational reasons and personal reasons to learn Chinese. I’ve already got a very basic knowledge of the language, but I want to enroll at a university/language school in Taiwan. Since, I wanted to make sure I make the right choice, I wanted to as you all what the conventional knowledge is on the best places to learn Chinese.

Should I study at one of the universities, or are there language schools there that are better? Is there any difference?

Anyone have any specific suggestions? (We’ll be in Taipei)

Have a good one.

It depends on what you want as a student. For me, I just wanted to concentrate on speaking skills and wasn’t concerned too much with reading and writing characters.

I studied at TLI for nearly 2 years and thought it was pretty good. There was virtually no emphasis on reading and writing as everything was available in pinyin or bopomofo. If you wanted to learn characters you could do it in your own time, but it wasn’t essential for class. I found that people were either really motivated and tried to learn all the characters at home, or they were like me and just relied on pinyin.

Other schools might place a stronger emphasis on building reading and writing skills as well as speaking. So if you want an all round language experience go for one of the universities or other private schools. If not, TLI is fine, and is fairly well respected.

The universities generally (from what I know) want you to learn reading and writing too and will test you on this regularly.

Other language schools are more lenient and you can pretty much decide for yourself.

I am currently studying at ShiDa and though my teacher is a dragon and I have to do 3 hours prep before my 2 hour class eveyday it is improving my chinese dramatically.

It depends on the teacher you get and how much work you want to put in.

For me, personally, studying at shida is so much better for me than the language schools (TLI, Pioneer) that i studied before. But for others, i could be different.

I’m sorry guys, I forgot to turn on my email notifications for posts, so I had no idea anyone had replied.

I guess I should clarify that I do want to learn to read, write and speak Chinese. I want it all. So, that said, do you think it’s better to stick to the universities?

Mugatu, you mentioned Shi-Da, TLI, and Pioneer. Keep in mind, I really don’t know anything, so I don’t even know what the differences are between these organizations.

If someone could point me to some of the language schools’ sites, that’d rock.

Thanks. Have a good one…

I need to learn Mandarin and would like to know what you think about the courses available in Taipei. I am not interested in attending university; I just want a good, solid language course that will teach me speaking and some grammar. Thanks in advance.

Hi ell_tee, and welcome to Forumosa! You might want to try the search function, with key words such as Chinese Language Programs (or Schools) Taipei, and select the Learning Chinese forum. I’m sure the question has been asked before. :wink:

This link has links to the language schools in Taiwan.

taiwan.8m.net/study.html

I study at TaiDa’s Chinese Language Division currently (ShiDa is National Taiwan Normal University, NTNU, and TaiDa is National Taiwan University, NTU). I love TaiDa’s CLD (there’s another CLD, but it’s not affiliated with TaiDa) - I picked the CLD mostly because I had a friend studying there who vouched for it, class sizes were smaller than at ShiDa (capped at 6), and I’m going to the International Chinese Language Program (ICLP, also at TaiDa) this fall, so might as well get used to the lay of the land at TaiDa … (Do note that TaiDa’s CLD and the ICLP are not the same program, nor are they even really connected besides being in the same building. I’ve noticed a lot of people have never heard of the CLD & thus assume CLD = ICLP, which it does not)

I’ve been at the CLD since March & have been very, very pleased overall. We’re a much smaller program overall than ShiDa, which suits me just fine. The CLD’s website is http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~cld222/indexenglish.htm

Thanks, Bafooz. I had pretty much just been looking at Shi-Da, but the Tai-Da’s not bad either.

Do any of you know anything about scholarships for learning Chinese in Taiwan? I’ve seen sites saying that there is a scholarship for students who perform well in their classes…

Here: edu.tw/EDU_WEB/EDU_MGT/BICER … o.htm?open