Which taiwan bank sucks the least?

I have an ICBC account, and the ATM restriction went into effect without them even telling me (I ended up in Thailand with no access to my account, the bastards).

Something tells me that all foreign ATM cards are affected by the new rule which went into affect under the Chen administration. Thanks guys. It appears that you have to show your renewed ARC card to any bank that issues you an ATM card otherwise you can’t take money out overseas.

Why does Taiwan give foreigners more and more restrictions when they are supposedly working so hard to attract foreigners to come here??? :smiling_imp:

[quote=“scooter”]
Something tells me that all foreign ATM cards are affected by the new rule which went into effect under the Chen administration. Thanks guys. It appears that you have to show your renewed ARC card to any bank that issues you an ATM card otherwise you can’t take money out overseas.

Why does Taiwan give foreigners more and more restrictions when they are supposedly working so hard to attract foreigners to come here??? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

It makes me very angry, too. It is totally unreasonable and enormously insulting. Sure, it’s fair enough if they impose such restrictions on a case-by-case basis, where the foreign customer’s particular circumstances give reasonable grounds for believing they are necessary. But to apply them automatically to all foreigners is totally indefensible, and is something that AmCham, the ECCT, and other foreign representative organizations should be taking up and complaining about in their annual white papers and various meetings with central government authorities.

I found out something the other day which amused me no end. The ANZ bank (Australia and New Zealand) has a branch in Taipei but you cannot access your money overseas at all!! They offer foreign currency accounts but you still can’t access your money … overseas. Had me laughing all day.

I use ICBC - International Comercial Bank of China to send money overseas, no trouble there. I have an account with the Post Office and have never had any trouble and another through First Bank, still no trouble. Money goes in, money comes out. If only all things in life were so simple.
Bill