Which "type" of chinese university

hi everybody!

i’m currently living in taiwan and try to pick up chinese :>
i studied before at the cld and switched last semester to mlc. both of those universities are “just” teaching the chinese language.
but now i’m came up with the idea to switch again to nccu/shida/… why?
people are talking about which school is the best, but i think there are 2 categories of schools. language training centers (cld, mlc, …) and university bachelor programs (shida, nccu?,…)
i think enrolling in one of the bachelor programs makes a lot of sense. first of all i want to learn more about history, geography of taiwan/china, but the chinese schools offer very limited culture classes.
second i believe that a degree (bachelor) seems more valuable then just a language proficiency certificate. (top or whichever)
and last the costs for a university are the same or even cheaper than cld/mlc.
on the other hand the chinese classes already take so much effort and time. when i enroll in an university it will be even more time consuming. which means no time for part time job or anything.

what do you guys/girls think about this?

i already have a dual degree in computer science and economics and plan on finding a job in taiwan/china. i’m studying chinese as a (actually very serious) hobby. :slight_smile:

Why would you do a BA when you already have one? There is a much better selection of English-language master’s programs in Taiwan, including “East Asian Studies.” I recommend looking in that direction.

hey, odysseyandoracle.

thx for your answer.
can you recommend a school with east asian studies master?
i saw nccus is a bachelor program, ntnus is just taught in chinese and requires a high level of chinese language knowledge.

also the “i have already a degree” was a little lie, because i haven’t finished my master thesis, and can’t until i return home.
and the other thing is my home university has a different system (no bachelor or master), you study straight to master for 5 years with no step in between.
that’s the old european “system”. so actually i have no degree yet.

I don’t know what your situation will be then. You’d have to talk with the schools and see if they’ll be willing to accept the credits on your transcript as equivalent to a 4 year degree, perhaps.

NCCU has this: asiapacific.nccu.edu.tw/main.php

I presume that “Asia-Pacific Studies” here in reality means “Taiwan and China, and maybe a bit of Japan and Korea.” But I don’t know anyone who was in this program - I did know someone in the Chinese-language East Asian Studies program, and she found it neither taxing nor particularly beneficial to her Chinese.

Personally, I have serious doubts about the quality of the undergrad education here. But I have no direct experience with it, as it’s rather unusual for non-Asians to come here for a BA. Standard disclaimer: keep in mind that the local schools are not well-ranked internationally, and a degree might be of less worth even within Taiwan than one from your home country (depending on where you’re from). I wouldn’t do a degree in English here unless the school/gov’t was giving me enough money to cover all my expenses. But that is just my :2cents: .

They are aren’t Chinese universities. They are Taiwanese universities The national universities have more funding. Study something practical like business or computer science and you will probably learn more Chinese. Good luck.

[quote=“taiwantiger”]hey, odysseyandoracle.

thx for your answer.
can you recommend a school with east Asian studies master?
I saw nccus is a bachelor program, ntnus is just taught in chinese and requires a high level of chinese language knowledge.

also the “I have already a degree” was a little lie, because i haven’t finished my master thesis, and can’t until i return home.
and the other thing is my home university has a different system (no bachelor or master), you study straight to master for 5 years with no step in between.
that’s the old european “system”. so actually I have no degree yet.[/quote]

Are those types of master’s degrees recognized internationally?

yeah, i will talk with the people of asiapacific.nccu.edu.tw if i can enroll there.

the time now seems a little bad for enrollment. because the enrollment period for the next semester (feburary) is already over for some time. i asked at eg. nccu and they said no way to do a late enrollment. so i guess i have time until march to enroll for september 2012.

my situation now is a little crazy. first of all i don’t want to go home and graduate and second of all it doesn’t make sense to go home, because as long as i stay abroad i get government scholarship for (hopefully) the whole 2012 to do basically any kind of study (which gives me “credits” / a certificate). yes, i like my country :slight_smile:

@archylgp:
yeah my degree is the same as an english master’s degree.
universities are changing their degrees in europe to one common “system” (the english one), to make them international valuable and comparable.

Are you by any chance studying a “Magister” ? If so then you could try if the university accepts your “Vordiplom” as equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree.
I was an exchange student at NCCU in 2009 and 2010. The courses for undergrads (at least those taught in English) are an insult to people’s intelligence and and whatever else quality you might have that brought you to studying at a university. Welcome to the Taiwanese education system. The courses in the Master’s programme are a whole different story. Although there are Taiwanese students in the Asia-Pacific Studies programme it’s clearly desidgned to cater to international students. The groups are small, the professors all got their degrees from some Ivy League school in the US and most of them also work at Academia Sinica which means they’re actually doing research in the field they are teaching. You can either focus on Taiwan Studies or on China Studies.
It won’t do your Chinese any good though as everybody there speaks English all the time.
The Chinese classes at MTC (Shida) are much better than the ones at CLC (NCCU) imho.