Whinging about modding...sigh...again

I didn’t get a chance to read much of either article because I started responding in another thread and by the time I returned, it had been deleted. But I really didn’t think the main subjects of the two articles were directly related, aside from them both mentioning catcalling.

It might have been a productive conversation if you had connected the content of the two articles instead of simply saying something vague about how the patriarchy is to blame. I think that’s why TG was put off, because setting two standalone articles side by side with no real commentary where you link the ideas put forth in them is pretty much meaningless.

1 Like

Ding ding round 2

1 Like

here are some of the nutter’s comments in second article:

Men Rarely Catcall Me Any More. I Hate That Our Culture Makes Me Miss It.

But when you’re brought up to feel that the most important thing you can be is attractive to men, the absence of their attention – even negative attention – can feel distressing. Have I reached my “last fuckable day” already, at 36 years old?

I realize the most properly-feminist response to all of this would be to proudly declare that I don’t care, that being too old to catcall is glorious freedom. But that would be a lie. I do care in some way that sits uncomfortably with my politics – enough that it worries me to wonder how I’ll feel when I’m 45, or 65.

i read both. got his connection quite clear

5 Likes

Again, this is your opinion. Other’s found the connection of her calling for an end to cat calling. And than complaining about not getting cat called. And instead of getting to the issue, she deferred to it’s “our cultures” fault she feels this way. What do you think she’s talking about when she says “our culture” if not the patriarchy?

Notice I mention only cat calling, since other actual sexual harassment is not the same level of offense. I’m not saying things like flashing is ok. Not at all.

Regardless, it’s your opinion on if you found the connection or not. The point is the level of censorship and modding when zero rules were broken.

What is the issue?

To that end it would seem you just touched a nerve of TG’s. From what I can tell he’s kind of Mr. Logical and Rational Argument and so on. It seems like you didn’t give him enough Logical and Rational and so on and he got pissed off. I was kind of surprised, too, tbh.

I’m not her therapist, don’t know. I suspect aging is not easy on most people, but normal people don’t blame it on “our culture” making it hard instead of it’s just a part of life.

I agree, which took me by surprise. I’ve agreed and disagreed with him in many heated debates. He’s perfectly capable of making solid arguments for or against something.

Also, Jessica Valenti contributes to the guardian weekly newsletter called “The Week In Patriarchy” Guardian calls it

A weekly newsletter on what’s happening in the world of feminism and sexism, from politics to pop culture.

Of which she has written many articles about the subject of the patriarchy like this.

I don’t think it’s a unreasonable conclusion she meant the patriarchy by the “culture” making her miss cat calling.

1 Like

I think the main problem here is even though some posters might almost always get where you’re coming from straight away, the rest of us don’t. If you’re gonna open a discussion with presumably the entire forum and not just the subset of posters who tend to understand you, then you have to address the entire forum with a coherent argument. Then, and only then, can we bicker endlessly, and then veer off topic, etc.

I think , just like Ms. Valenti , Tempogain is entitled to get cranky sometimes . He’s getting old you know :wink:. I just like it when we all get along nicely :yum:

1 Like

This makes zero sense. How can I know if I’m clear to the whole forum?
If you don’t understand, simply ask? Not censor.

1 Like

Please. Mods are not people.

1 Like

By writing something that would make sense to a neutral party.

It looks like he did ask you to put forth an argument.

So unless I fit your definition of what makes sense i should not post? That’s what it sounds like. Who’s the neutral party? you? You’re not making any sense, what I said made sense, that’s not the issue. The issue is he disagreed.

And I did, just like here showing why it makes sense.

Tell me what you think she’s talking about when she says “our culture” is to blame. As a contributor to the weekly newsletter “The week in Patriarchy” ?

I don’t care. I’m just trying to tell you that it looks like it didn’t make much sense to TG because, even though that seems to be where the writer’s interests lie, that particular word didn’t appear in either article you posted. He’s quite literal and it would seem he demands the same from you.

Maybe it would be better to start or go back to an existing thread about patriarchy.

Honestly, patriarchy is out of vogue. Everybody knows now that kyriarchy is where it’s at.

The entire objection to my post was using the word patriarchy right? I made an argument for her meaning the patriarchy, of which I got no replies and ended up in a lock. . How can I make a convincing argument when the person I’m trying to persuade splits my post and makes it “no point” and then locks it? I don’t believe anyone who renames my post “no point” is actually willing to listen.

If I object to your points, do you think If I rename your posts to be called “no point” and then ask for you to make a argument…that you’d find me willing to listen?

1 Like

whoa… i am so behind the times…

Kyriarchy encompasses sexism, racism, speciesism, homophobia, classism, economic injustice, colonialism, militarism, ethnocentrism, anthropocentrism, and other forms of dominating hierarchies in which the subordination of one person or group to another is internalized and institutionalized.

perhaps they forgot sensationalism and would have been more interesting like Yogi Berra with malapropism

2 Likes

no offence but i agree with andrew. tempogain thinks he is xi jin ping over there in his modding tower. no discussion is safe!

2 Likes

Valenti doesn’t write for the Grauniad anymore. I have the feeling she made enough money to retire. I didn’t have time to read the two links, but I know what they are and she’s been pulled up on the inconsistencies many times in the past.

2 Likes

It seems I picked the wrong career. Imagine being paid writing an article on about not getting matches with college girls on tinder after turning 40.

1 Like

Sorry, what are you talking about, “one website two systems” is working splendidly!!

2 Likes

These are comment/ opinion writers. Their MO is to generate click bait.