White Male Victimology

They may hold those jobs, tigerman, but they still earn less.

Congress Studies Why Women Earn Less

Nov. 21, 2003 (Associated Press)

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]They may hold those jobs, tigerman, but they still earn less.

Congress Studies Why Women Earn Less

Nov. 21, 2003 (Associated Press)

well, I think we are moving in the right direction. It will be nice to be able to see a day when gender, race, religion and all of the other trappings do not play a significant part in work… but me thinks that is still a while off.

Personally, I was pretty darn naive before coming to Asia, I have always been involved in male based careers (law and agriculture) but it wasn’t until I came here that I finally got hit by the male based job issues. (no not just by a chinese co-worker/boss, but also a western one…) I guess I was lucky so far

Doesn’t anyone find this interesting?

Surely everyone agrees that equality of the sexes “has been moving in the right direction” and Mr T quotes some stats to show that 9in terms of the type of jobs being held.

Then why has the 20% gap not been reduced?

Perhaps the adjustments made to the data were done badly (or perhaps researchers were aiming at finding the same 20% gap). or maybe, just maybe, there is a difference between men and women that accounts for the 20% gap in pay. And this difference is nothing to do with inequality as such…

Let me give a speculative “for instance.” Perhaps it could it be that, on average, men are more aggressive by nature. This extra aggression in the marketplace is worth, on average, 20% more to employers.

Thus, the gap, could be due to differences but not to nfair discrimination.

Just a thought.

straightdope.com/columns/020823.html

That’s an interesting essay.

On the whole, men and women don’t do the same work. One study in the US based on job classification types found that while men were in pretty much every profession, women tended to be clumped in the domestic service, food, nursing, secretarial, and educational sectors where they typically had lower=paying positions than men in the same sectors.

Since many folks in this community are in education - myself included - consider it. Are there more men or women teaching in pre-schools? elementary schools? high schools? colleges? graduate schools? The higher the prestige and pay, the more likely the number of men will increase. Even in English Departments where female students outnumber male students at all levels, you will find the number of male teachers increases significantly the higher up the totem pole you go.

Of course, there’s also the factor that women . . . especially in Taiwan . . . will often be paid less for “almost the same work” partly due to hidden restrictive limitations on duties they are given based upon gender (unmarried males may be asked to travel while unmarried females are not; men may be given promotions when they marry but women are not; when women marry and become pregnant they are often encouraged to quit while men are not). These are technically illegal practices but they are still very common.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Alien”]You two should go read the entire article I posted instead of just the snip, or don’t you have pdf?

This from white male Norman Mailer:
The White Man Unburdened
snip:

[quote]It was a political bonanza for Bush provided he could deliver an appropriate sens of revenge to the millions?or is it the tens of millions?