White Privilege

I read this a few years ago and it got sent to me again not too long ago. I found what was wrote in Peggy McIntosh’s list of 26 points to hold a lot of truth to it. Anyways, Check it out.

members.tripod.com/umm_yousef/un … apsack.htm

[quote=“NaTaS”]I read this a few years ago and it got sent to me again not too long ago. I found what was wrote in Peggy McIntosh’s list of 26 points to hold a lot of truth to it. Anyways, Check it out.

members.tripod.com/umm_yousef/un … apsack.htm[/quote]
Interesting. I also noticed that many of those points don’t apply to whites living in Taiwan. Particularly:
[list=1][li][color=green]I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.[/color][/li]
[li][color=green]If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area that I can afford and in which I would want to live.[/color][/li]
[li]I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.[/li]
[li]I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.[/li]
[li][color=green]I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.[/color][/li]
[color=green][b]When I am told about our national heritage or about

I totally agree Maoman.

By white she means white American (probably living in America).

I’m sure lots of Russians would contest some of those points.

I’m sure some of the safety issues don’t ring true for many white Sth African’s.

Religious persecution is alive and well in many Eastern European countries.

And if you are white and went to the Bronx, inner Brooklyn, etc. I am sure many of these wouldn’t ring true.

more crap. first, there is only one race. i couldn’t go to public school growing up in america specifically because of my skin color. i was white in a predominantly black area. so, in order to stop the beatings that the school did nothing to deter we had to pay school taxes and parochial school tuition. the tyranny of the majority sucks but such is not the exclusive domain of whites. later i was going to school on hawaii. even the local mcdonalds wouldn’t hire me. why? my skin color. she said the other workers didn’t like working with whites as the workers were all asian-pacific and whites hadn’t worked out there before. if it was a white manger doing this to anyone else it wouldn’t have been allowed. this whole article is an offshoot of women’s studies. at the university of hawaii there are scholarships available to pursue studies in women’s studies. the first requirement of applying for such is female gender. imagine that! a state university restricting scholarships based upon gender. care to imagine what would ha[ppen the head of department that awarded scholarships to males based strictly upon gender in a state university? the whole article is touchy feely BS designed to help folks “feel” indignant. get what is yours and don’t take no for an answer.

I grew up in the south and dirt poor. I was white, but many of the points didn’t apply to me. Much of what she has taken as White Privilege is, in my opinion, simply ecconomic privilege. Sure there is more ecconomic privilege amoung the white population, but trust me, if you’re poor is doesn’t matter what color you are.

I think it is unfortunate that the list seems to particularly “attack” whites. It will definitely put people on the defensive. But I do think it is useful to stop every now and then, and think about what others could be experiencing.

The list definitely does not apply to South Africa today, e.g. but some of the points could have been valid 20 years ago, and unfortunately the resentment still continues today. I left SA before most of the changes, and therefore had very little experience with discrimination against me on the grounds of being white. (when I started experiencing some…I couldn’t get a permanent position at a place where I had worked for 2 years, I just left the country!)
It is only when I got here that my race became an issue (and the response was mostly positive). It is also here that I learned for the first time what it could be like to live with the fear, hatred, or contempt of others, and even then I have only experienced 0, 00001% of what blacks and other race groups in SA must have experienced.
(funnily enough, the negativity I got here didn’t come from Taiwanese, but I’m very grateful for having experienced it. really opened my eyes)

I’m not offended by the list at all. Like MM, I say no to most of the statements.

And like housecat, I grew up poor alongside of a lot of other poor people.

Even though the world is sometimes unfair in my favor, being white does not make me feel special.

Being me does though. :slight_smile:

Silly skeptic yank. Don’t you know only white people are racist?

This guilt-trip list has been around in various forms for 30 yrs or more.
I think it even inspired a song, something about white middle class guilt or something like that.

I cannot remember it right now, if I do I’lll add it to this post for reference, its pretty funny.

Its out of date and out of tune with what ‘USA (American)’ society has evolved into.
No matter how much some group wants to perpetuate this self-serving myth, it just ain’t the facts anymore.

Now can we get a big group hug goin’?

I love everybody…you could be next!

Several of those points seem to be complaining that they are an ethnic minority, and thus could apply to many groups all over the world, not just American blacks.

[quote]I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

When I am told about our national heritage or about

[quote=“Maoman”]
Interesting. I also noticed that many of those points don’t apply to whites living in Taiwan. Particularly:[/qoute]

[qoute] [list=1][color=green]I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.[/color]
[/quote] Yes this can occur. How many foriegners choose not to make TW friends and like? A marjority of the time I am with foriegners, they are generally whites.

[qoute][color=green]I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.[/color][/quote]While you may not see whites in abunance like at home when you are viewing the media, they are used quite more often than other races,outside of usage of Asians.

[qoute][color=green][b]I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods that fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser

[quote]It’s easy,espciecally in the US, to go through one’s life with a monocolor view point…[/b]

“Especially” in the U.S.? With the exception of Brazil, the U.S. is the most multi-racial society in the world. I’d say that it’s the reverse - it’s easy to live one’s life with a monocolor viewpoint if you live almost anywhere outside of the U.S. (or Canada, South Africa, and a handful of other places, Taiwan definitely not one of them).

Too many “white people” make me nervous.

All that light beer and white wine. Sweaters worn wrapped around their necks. Names like ‘Biff’ and ‘Brad’ and ‘Buffy.’ Bragging about their ‘low finance rates.’ Children named after cities, states and countries…ugh!

Just makes me uncomfortable.

I was going to write a rant about how bullshit these blanket statements are, regardless what race or group they apply to, but anyone with half a brain can see that themselves. Bullshit guilt-tripping based on something geneticaly determined is not going to help anyone. How about, instead of all this stupid “payback” shit, we start treating each other as human beings? And I know there’ll be people reading this thinking “Easy for you to say, you’re white.” Yeah, well you can eat me and save your stereotypes for someone who is blind enough to believe them.

That’s not white priviledge, that’s having good contacts. :unamused:

such is life thread coming up.

:slight_smile:

This list has some aspects that are related to numbers, but there are plenty of points that relate to racial bias held against blacks. Even in Taiwan, where some of these points might hold true for whites, they are even more accurate for blacks living here.

For instance, a good look around billboards will show you that considering the small size of the foreign population in Taiwan, whites are very well represented in print ads and billboards. I think I could still use my fingers to count out the number of companies that use blacks in their advertisement and almost all of those companies are international ones, not local.

A lot of my co-workers sing praises of Aveda hair salons and how wonderful their experiences are there. I will have to take their word for it as they do not have anyone there who would be able to style my hair. It’s even more difficult because even though I can use the brands of shampoos and conditioners here, there are a lot of hair products that I have to enlist people to get for me when the supplies I pick up on my annual trips home runs low. It’s not a petty matter of needing a particular brand. It’s a matter of needing particular products. One of the first things I have to do as soon as I get home is go to a hairdresser to undo all the damage because I cannot get the right kind of conditioners to maintain my kind of hair.

Everyone here assumes that all foreigners are American and speak English. Unless they are black. I wonder how many forumosans have had someone say to them incredulously, “You speak English?” or “You’re American?”.

How many forumosans have students who, when they see any pictures of white people, make comments about it being you or your family?

How many of you work for a school which has more than three books that feature black people as the main characters? More than two books? Have a single book in the entire school that features black people as the main characters?

Considering the fact that blacks make up a decent sized proportion of most of the populations in our home countries (New Zealand excepted), it’s not hard to see that even in Taiwan they are grossly underrepresented.

This list, from what I understand, was not meant to be a rant or whining or white guilt or a means to absolve other ethnicities of being racist. It’s simply a way to realize that in order to seek an end to racism, you have to realize that there are two sides to the issue.

That was a nasty post and on reflection I don’t really like my tone at all, so I’m editing it out.

Of the few things in the world that I do hate, putting words into my mouth is one of them.

Please point out the place where I said that racism applies only to one race of people. There are an infinite number of sides to an issue, but the fallacy comes from seeing it as only being one group being oppressed.

Granted, my posts are often more like several posts put together, but I try to finish them with the point I want to make. The point I was trying to make is that this essay was not some form of “white guilt” or an excuse for reverse discrimination. It was a way for the author to make people look beyond what they are already being preached “blacks are often negatively discriminated” and showing it in the light that “whites often postively discriminated” as being a collorary of racism.

If you want to write your own essay about all the privileges you fail to receive because of your social standing, then by all means, do it. The more people are aware that bigotry isn’t just a black or white issue, the better alliance we can forge to eradicate hatred.

Just a couple of quick points - 1) “black” people do make up a decent proportion of the NZ population. They’re Maori, not African, sure, but still. and 2) being American you probably wouldn’t notice, but there’s a lot of ignorance about other countries here - I’ve had a lot of people ask if we speak English in New Zealand or react with shock when I tell them I’m not American.

Oh, and for once, I actually fullly side with Rubicon here. It doesn’t happen often, but I actually agree with him. And the “write your own essay” thing? Come on, you know just as well as anyone else that if a white person wrote something about how shitty they have it and what their social standing has prevented them from enjoying, it’d be laughed at, mocked, called racist, and get the author an ass-whupping.