White Screen of Death on Windows XP -Please help!

This morning when I went to turn on my laptop, it went through all the normal motions of starting up Windows XP, but when it was supposed to go to the screen where I could log in, I got a white screen that burst from the center outward with lines going horizontally across the screen. I tried logging in under safe mode, debugging mode, last good configuration, and even my pirated Chinese Windows XP (the “good” people at FNAC had it installed without my permission and now it’s locked because there’s no registration key for it because, well, it’s pirated…but I digress). The Chinese XP worked (up to the point where they ask for my non-existent registration code), but the English version still will not start up.

The night before I had done a few things on my computer:

1. I downloaded a few songs onto my external hard drive from kazaalite. They all played perfectly fine and the file sizes were what I would expect for their length and bitrate so I don’t think there were viruses on them.

2. I downloaded a file editor for my Sims 2 game which said it could cause problems with system files if not used properly. I edited three or four PNG files using it and saved the files on my desktop, but did not complete the process of installing the edited files into my game.

3. I updated my SIS650 video driver for the first time in four years. I said it would finish installing the driver upon restarting my computer which wasn’t restarted until you know when…

I’ve seen this before on my laptop when my computer bag snapped and sent my computer tumbling onto a wooden floor. I had to get the monitor replaced, but my computer hasn’t suffered any bumps like that since (especially with the purchase of a much better quality bag). I know I’m going to have to take it in to a shop, but I’d like a heads-up on what I am getting into or if it’s just my laptop’s way of telling me that it’s about time to buy a new computer.

The fact that your screen is still working normally during the boot sequence and it happened after you installed a new video driver would make me suspect it’s a software related issue. But then again you said you’ve tried safe mode and last good configuration which rules out the driver thing… So it’s kinda an odd case.

What happens when you use another monitor? If you don’t get a ‘white screen of death’ there you’ll know it’s your laptop’s screen acting up, if you do then well… at least you know it isn’t the laptop display.

Typical for me to make my first post in his sub-forum after lurking around for about a month :unamused:

[quote=“MC”]The fact that your screen is still working normally during the boot sequence and it happened after you installed a new video driver would make me suspect it’s a software related issue. But then again you said you’ve tried safe mode and last good configuration which rules out the driver thing… So it’s kinda an odd case.

What happens when you use another monitor? If you don’t get a ‘white screen of death’ there you’ll know it’s your laptop’s screen acting up, if you do then well… at least you know it isn’t the laptop display.

Typical for me to make my first post in his sub-forum after lurking around for about a month :unamused:[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with MC. Normally, this sort of thing would seem hardware related, but since it works on your Chinese Windows, it has to be software related. Of course the fact that you just updated your video drivers pretty much tells you where to start troubleshooting.

Shame safe mode doesn’t work.
Shame last known configuration doesn’t work…

Do you have your “proper” Windows XP CD? You can boot up from that and enter a type of repair mode from there. Did you know that? Do you have XP Home Edition or Professional Edition? This affects the repair options you will have…

More information here, for example:
theeldergeek.com/repairing_windows_xp.htm

(look down the page for “Automated System Recovery” for example. This might sort you out).

MC gives a good comment. And I guess this is the point where I would grab my XP CD and go for a good, clean re-install.
Usually I never figure out those nasty software issues.

BTW it is a good idea to have two partitions (could be you already have, like C: and D: ) and then two OS on your system. On C: your big system and on D: a good clean small windows with disabled network connections for saving your data in case the OS on C: is fried like now…

Its your graphics card that is the problem. From the update I’m guessing. I can’t help you any further.

Sounds like it. Strangely the Safe Mode should still work. If it does not this is really mysterious.

Safe Mode should have an option where you can tell for each driver if it shall be enabled seperately, but I never had success that way.

I recommend a reinstall. Say if you need to know a way to retrieve your data …

One word about serials, if someone installed a pirate windows XP (and they’re not supposed to) and you already have a english serial, just use that instead… M$ only cares about having a serial and if you are only using it on one computer at a time and not using the same serial on 2 computers and running both at the same time, it’s legal.

Great, so all I need is my Windows XP disk. Except I installed windows back in 2002 and have since moved twice (and I’m not the most organized person…). I’ll see if I still have my original CD… somewhere. My main drive has already been partitioned: C:\ is Chinese XP; E:\ is English XP (not named intentionally, just the order in which they were installed). That came thanks to the pirated Chinese Windows and them being to lazy to uninstall it.

I don’t have a second monitor to try out to see if it’s just a monitor thing, but I’m assuming since it goes through all the motions right up to Windows actually starting before it goes blank, that’s probably not the problem.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Chinese pirate. I think I might have tried using the English registration code already when I first got the computer, but if I can find the CD, I’ll try it again.

Thank you all for your help, everyone, and I’m glad I could inspire MC to post. Welcome to forumosa, MC! :smiley:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Great, so all I need is my Windows XP disk. Except I installed windows back in 2002 and have since moved twice (and I’m not the most organized person…). I’ll see if I still have my original CD… somewhere. My main drive has already been partitioned: C:\ is Chinese XP; E:\ is English XP (not named intentionally, just the order in which they were installed). That came thanks to the pirated Chinese Windows and them being to lazy to uninstall it.

I don’t have a second monitor to try out to see if it’s just a monitor thing, but I’m assuming since it goes through all the motions right up to Windows actually starting before it goes blank, that’s probably not the problem.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Chinese pirate. I think I might have tried using the English registration code already when I first got the computer, but if I can find the CD, I’ll try it again.

Thank you all for your help, everyone, and I’m glad I could inspire MC to post. Welcome to forumosa, MC! :smiley:[/quote]

Um… there is this tool which can generate the serials. It is perfectly legal if you have a legal copy. I will try to dig it out on my HDD and if I find it I will PM you with a serial or two. All strictly legal,

BobSaint
//I once met one of the 22 vice presidents from MS, that is as good as a license to generate serials, haha

… check PMs

Um… I also have something against the nasty registration. Also perfectly legal if OS is leeeegal, roight!

Nevermind. It was a virus. :frowning:

Just another great thing to add to my list of all the wonderful things that have gone wrong this CNY…

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Nevermind. It was a virus. :frowning:

Just another great thing to add to my list of all the wonderful things that have gone wrong this CNY…[/quote]

So did you manage to kill it?
Having a virus is not the end of the world, even if Windows won’t boot up. There are still many ways to get in and rescue your files, even if you have to format afterwords.

I’m letting the shop deal with it as I cannot for the life of me find my XP CD. They’re going to also hook me up with the Chinese half (actually 65%) of my computer’s hard drive by putting in the reg keys for the other Windows XP.

Thanks for the warm welcome ImaniOU :slight_smile:
It’s good to know what the cause is, knowing what the problem is part of the solution. Anyway I’m glad I could be of some use. Good luck with recovering your files from that virus.