Who all believes / believed in the Brotherhood of Adepts?

Also known as the Great White Lodge, the Ascended Masters, the Himalayan Brotherhood, the Hierarchy of Shambhala, etc. A fraternal order based somewhere in Central Asia, whose members consist of the saints and sages of various religions (perhaps even dead ones, like Jesus and Buddha) working together for the sake of human spiritual evolution. The idea came from Mme Blavatsky in the 19th century, and is associated with Theosophy and its offshoots.

When I was a teenager, I found some “unsolved mysteries” type books that mentioned this. Also some books published by the Church Universal and Triumphant (Elizabeth Clare Prophet), which used paintings by Nicholas Roerich on the covers. (Apparently without the blessing of the Roerich museum in New York City, which is affiliated with a rival Ascended Masters group, the Agni Yoga Society.) These made me want to travel to Asia and bask in its spiritual profundities. (Edward Said, call your office!)

And now, at last, I’ve received initiation as a 33-degree Mystic Master at the hands of Lama Kriang of the Tibetan Monastery of Zoltar! (Thank Sanat Kumara for the invention of the internet. And credit cards.)

So, anybody else out there laboring (or have labored in the past) for Hierarchy?

What does this have to do with Jesus? I thought this forum was just for discussion on Jesus.

I’d like to join the Water Buffaloes, but the Grand Poohbah has it in for me.

I don’t know no secret handshake.

When I was in the service it was common knowledge that if you wanted to rise above E7 you had to be a Mason.

Is the Lions Club really a club?

Board index » Discussion » Religion & Spirituality

Don’t forget Colonel H.S. Olcott. I think he claims the foundation of Theosophy.

I have read a great deal of this literature. I often note White Lotus Day as it passes us each year.

I recommend Rudolf Steiners work: Spiritualism, Madame Blavatsky and Theosophy. Sets the history of things nicely, though Steiner is too bogged down in the occult some times. His work: Social and Political science is a good companion read.

Strangely to my mind the Norse mythologies also deal well with the subject of the sake of human spiritual evolution.

If memory serves, Jesus received a promotion sometime back and is now laboring for the Hierarchy of Light…under Buddha.

“Poobah” was one of those odd British translations of some princely title from the Raj, no? And famously referenced in “Peanuts.” (No, wait–Linus was Sally’s sweet “Baboo.”) The Flintstones on the other hand were making fun of the Masons (esp. the Shriners), and fraternalism in general, which was big back then. (I’ve always wanted to see the Simpsons equivalent, the episode about the Stonecutters.)

I’m happy to greet another esoteric fan, but sorry to report that I find Steiner unreadable. Other people say the same thing about stuff I liked (Cayce, Agni Yoga, Gurdjieff, Swedenborg), so I guess it boils down to what you were exposed to first. I lot of these things seem to amount to national traditions–Steiner for the German speaking countries, Alice Bailey for the English speaking ones, Allan Kardek for Brazil, the Roerichs for Russia, and so on.

Well okay, I did read some Steiner books back in grad school, and vaguely remember about Satan and Lucifer, the two Christ children, eurythmy, the two Goetheanums (pl?), Saturn, Waldorf education, anthroposophical medicine, the Christian drama stuff, biodynamic agriculture, “Goethe fundamentalism,” and that new church his friend started. Basically Steiner strikes me as one of a number of post-Blavatskean Theosophists who re-emphasized Christian themes (as against the multireligious but predominantly Asian flavor of Blavatskean Theosophy). My favorite secondary reference, predictably, was “Sun At Midnight” by Geoffrey Ahern.

But as a fan of Theosophy as well as vexillology, I have to say that Col. Olcott is as cool as cool can be! (He designed the Buddhist flag. And wrote the Buddhist catechism, which for some reason is a lot less popular. Mentions the Essenes…)

I stayed in the House of Shambhala while in Lhasa last month. My next reincarnation has been garanteed to be the lover of the queen of Jordan. Man that woman is hot. :discodance:

PoohBah was most probably invented by Gilbert in 1885 as a quasi-oriental sounding title name for use in his libretto for the operetta The Mikado, by Gilbert and Sullivan, though he was never referred to as the Grand Poohbah, just Poohbah, and the Lord High Everything Else, as well as numerous other offices of greater or minor importance. Gilbert also invented several othern title names for that operetta, which was a hit due to the irreverent take on the fascination of the British public at that time with all things oriental.

no reference of it exists earlier than that.

it has since been used many times in popular culture, ranging from CS Forrester’s Horatio Hornblower novels, to the Flintstones (first recorded use of Grand Poobah on TV), Happy Days, Fraggle Rock and even the Sponge Bob Square Pants movie.

there may well be such an invented brotherhood, but it doesn’t look like the initiates had much say in it. kind of like a mythical “world’s greatest-ever cricket team” composed by some fan selecting the names of their favourite all-dead or retired cricketers.

:astonished: She’s in her late 30s now (38). Assuming you live a long life and she does too, by the time your reincarnation reaches adulthood that is gonna be some wrinkled Queen. :laughing: Or a dead one :ponder:

OK. You can put me down for “non believer.”

What did Carl Sagan say? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? Sumtin’ like that?

:astonished: She’s in her late 30s now (38). Assuming you live a long life and she does too, by the time your reincarnation reaches adulthood that is gonna be some wrinkled Queen. :laughing: Or a dead one :ponder:[/quote]

Well, we are close in age (and both fabulously well preserved I might add) so I am guessing we pass on around the same time and will meet in our next incarnation.

…sitting next to each other, as ornamental stones in a fish pond.

or do you think you’ll both be moving upwards? hubris, my good man. :slight_smile:

Thanks Urodacious.

And Zender is one of those “nattering nabobs of negativism!”

Seriously, I don’t “believe” in them either (now that I’ve studied how the sausage was made), but…way back when, the story of the Great White Brotherhood inspired in me a certain sense of wonder. (Carl Sagan did too!) Maybe you can see what I mean. Check out these Roerich paintings!

all-art.org/art_20th_century/roerich2.html

“Kaligiya! Come to Shambhala…”

I used to be into Edgar Cayce. Is that the one you mentioned? The psychic detective?

Musing on this topic brought me once more to The transformation of Evil by Sigismund Von Gleich. It’s a little too heavy on Christianity in my opinion, but the description of the earth as an egg by Goethe’s pupil Carus is well described and in my mind helps one to glean an understanding of why transformation was seen as so possible by these thinkers.

I always wanted to be a Rosicrucian. So it was natural that I’d develop a penchant for the pennings of Linnaeus.

The loss of esoteric societies is to our detriment.

[quote=“urodacus”]…sitting next to each other, as ornamental stones in a fish pond.

or do you think you’ll both be moving upwards? hubris, my good man. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, we both were blessed with good looks this time round so we must have done something right last time. And since we both do not lord our good looks over others, but instead accept them humbly as the gifts they are, well, what reason then would there be to take them away next time.

I expect perfectly to return as the most shuai chimp on the block at least.

There’s always ACORN.

There’s always ACORN.[/quote]

Sir whilst I greatly enjoy your humour and extensive knowledge - I am sick to the back teeth of the American election. Not only is it almost an entire year of showboating it is the insane brouhaha caused by the electorate. Rational people have lost their minds in the midst of this election.

I did, and very nice and evocative of the mountains they are too. he obviously spent lots of time pondering the beauty of those towering peaks, and deserts. some grand mythological bases right there.

i have actually seen a few of them before, but did not recall ever knowing the artist’s name. they are also vaguely reminiscent of a style of book jacket illustration from Britain in the 30s and 40s.

funny how that description of his life pointedly refuses to mention anything occuring after 1915 when he must have left russia and become a mystic, and from when many of his paintings date. i have actually seen his ballet sets for the Rites of Spring. a definite classic.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”] Zender is one of those “nattering nabobs of negativism!”

Check out these Roerich paintings!

all-art.org/art_20th_century/roerich2.html

“Kaligiya! Come to Shambhala…”[/quote]

Oh, I’ve changed!
Since peering at the powerful paintings, I’ve become one of those preachy poohbah’s of positivism!