Who are westerners?

They should all go out drinking together and see who gets the calculators out at the end.

Yeah nah. How do indigenous Taiwanese fit into this?

Edit; you might have touched on this in your post but it’s a bit confusing.

1 Like

A kid who I know that goes to a very prestigious junior high school told me they are allowed to sleep in computer class, because there is no test for it.

1 Like

I said that is their definition of “foreigner”. They call local non Han people foreigners when they are abroad.

partly, maybe because westerner was used like a synonym of foreigner or nationality of a western country in the original thread.

I first imagined western looking westerners, then Asian looking westerners, then thought about a Taiwanese born/grown up in western countries and know about Taiwan almost as little as their non-Taiwanese fellows, who may be ROC nationals/citizens or may not.
I wondered if people describe them westerners, and if nationality affects on it.

As mentioned in the other thread, I’m half German half Taiwanese, born and raised in Germany and do hold both passports. Even though it is mathematically not correct, I consider myself 100% German but also 100% Taiwanese, which makes me in my own sense a westerner as well as an Asian at the same time. I feel this way, because I have both cultures in me and consider both countries my home. Giving up one or the other would break my heart.

Nevertheless growing up as a mixed-race kid was sometimes not easy, because neither side really sees you as a native, which makes you basically a foreigner everywhere and you have a sense of not belonging. But when you get older things change and I started to realize that it is rather gift than a curse. :slightly_smiling_face:

So for me, being a westerner isn’t limited to the appearance, growing up in a western country can also make you a westerner. But I see that many people, also taiwanese, think that westerners ought to have a certain physical appearance.

4 Likes

To me, it means being an Albertan or Texan. :smile: :+1:

1 Like

I thought germany doesnt allow dual citizenship with taiwan…?

This conversation reminds me of Obama. He is black. But actually he is half white. And back to my point, skin reactions to the sun are fucking retarded in classifying people in any meaningful way other than sun burn and skin cancer risks. People ought to really start growing up and stop playing first grade into retirement.

I’d presume it was through a non-German parent.

Yes, correct. Germany generally doesn’t allow dual citizenship, but makes an exception for people with a foreign parent. In my case my father is German and my mother is/was Taiwanese which makes it ok to have dual citizenship.

2 Likes