Who else loves Van Morrison?

I grew up listening to the classics like Gloria, Brown-Eyed Girl, Moondance, etc.

But it wasn’t until 1991 that while on a road trip someone broke out a greatest hits cd. I then realized what an amazing and diverse artist this man is.

My collection of cds numbers around 500, and I have a whole Van section that numbers 27 Van cds (some are double cds too).

I admire him so much because he can do jazz, blues, rock, classical, gospel, celtic, spoken word, he’s a great lyricist, and a great instumentalist-mastering the guitar, piano, saxophone, harmonica etc-and does them all so well. And I love when he incorporates string arrangements and choirs into his work.

My favorite cds include: Poetic Champions Compose, Hard Nose The Highway, A Sense Of Wonder, Veedon Fleece, Enlightenment, No Guru No Method No Teacher, Tupelo Honey, Too Long In Exile…i could go on.

If I was stranded on a desert island and could have one musician to listen to it would be Van the Man.

Who else out there loves Van Morrison?

jm

I was brought up in the same neighbourhood as Van (not at the same time though), so a lot of his songs are about where I spent my childhood (Orangefield).

His music is great, even if it’s not your cup of tea.

Unfortunatley the guy himself is stuck up his own arse (a real pity).

Awesome stuff. Just awesome.

I have a friend who doesn’t like him – he tried to get her to give him a blowjob in front of his wife in return for an autograph. :laughing:

Saw him live twice, at Finsbury Park; my fave musician by far. Sheer poetry and mastery of sound.

I like just about everything he’s ever done, from back in the days of Them on to the present. He’s one of the very few artists that I like who I haven’t seen live. Hope to get a chance someday.

Down Cyprus Avenue…

Astral Weeks is the greatest album of all time. I used to have an avatar of it, but I am currently trying to learn from Comrade Lei Feng.

I try to only worship hardcore alcoholics, but he’s an angel…of the first degree. Blow jobs and prickish behaviour not withstanding.

[quote=“hexuan”]
Astral Weeks is the greatest album of all time.[/quote]

I agree. Astral weeks is one of those pieces that you can listen to in any mood, at any time, and it will end up making ya feel awright. To me, it’s one of those seminal pieces of music that make one’s prism that more pristine, making it easier to deal with The Shites, The Tossers, and The Smegheads.

I’ve seen him in concert twice. He is an ego-bound prick for sure, but the musicians he hires are always outstanding. Wicked engineers too. The sound had a clarity that is not often matched, especially in popular music.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“hexuan”]
Astral Weeks is the greatest album of all time.[/quote]

I agree. Astral weeks is one of those pieces that you can listen to in any mood, at any time, and it will end up making ya feel awright. To me, it’s one of those seminal pieces of music that make one’s prism that more pristine, making it easier to deal with The Shites, The Tossers, and The Smegheads.

I’ve seen him in concert twice. He is an ego-bound prick for sure, but the musicians he hires are always outstanding. Wicked engineers too. The sound had a clarity that is not often matched, especially in popular music.[/quote]

He was only 21 when he wrote and performed Astral Weeks. I just gave up playing the guitar when I heard that.

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]I grew up listening to the classics like Gloria, Brown-Eyed Girl, Moondance, etc.
[/quote]

If I never have to listen to those songs again it will be too soon.

yes, Astral Weeks is incredible.

Hexuan, I remember seeing your image of Astral Weeks about a year ago. I couldn’t remember who had that image and why it was gone, now I know.

I instantly admired you for having that up there with your name.

As if I wasn’t impressed enough already by Vans prolific work, in 1998 he put out a double cd called “The Philosopher’s Stone”, and these songs were previously unreleased. Some great cuts, some new versions of old songs. Quite a good listen if you haven’t heard it yet. It’s a good representation of his diverse talents.

Mucha Man: that’s ok, his pop songs are by no means his best, you have plenty of others you can choose from. this guy has been cranking out the tunes for almost half a century now.

I have never seen him in concert, regrettably. a good buddy has seen him several time. he said usually he is sublime, but once he was so tanked he could hardly play. go van. bottoms up!

I’ve been inspired to pop on my Astral Weeks cd, so bye for now.

jm

no disrespect Mucha Man,

I typed in m u c h a m a n
but it keeps coming up muzha man

i even edited twice,

jm

hey irishstu,

that is awesome. i like the song “Hyndford Street” from the “Hymns to the Silence” double cd. is this in your neighborhood?

about others comments about van the person:

yes, i’ve heard he is a bit unapproachable. let’s give the man his space if that’s what he wants. you never know about someone who lives so deep inside themselves. i still respect him even if he is such a recluse and pushes people away. artists are often like that. they probably get sick of people putting them on a pedistal-he’s still just a man; albeit a very talented man in my opinion.

jm

[quote=“JOHN MOSS”]no disrespect Muzha Man,

but it keeps coming up Muzha man

i even edited twice,

jm[/quote]

It’s the damn piyinizer. Don’t worry. Just call me MM or MuchaMan. :wink:

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“JOHN MOSS”]no disrespect Muzha Man,

but it keeps coming up Muzha man

i even edited twice,

jm[/quote]

It’s the damn piyinizer. Don’t worry. Just call me MM or MuchaMan. :wink:[/quote]

Or do what I do and call him Macho Man. :stuck_out_tongue:

Back in the early 70s, our roommate leaves the bar early with a hot chick (they were still chicks then).

We got home as the sun was rising- his car’s there, but the bedroom door’s closed.
Me: Think she’s in there?
2nd roommate( female): What’s on the turntable?
Me, checking: Van Morrison
2nd roommate: She’s in there.

hi MikeN,

ha ha, i love that.

me: also guilty as charged. although it was the early 90’s.

thanks Van!!

jm

That could certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth.

dearest hexuan,

“Astral Weeks” came out in 1968, so Van would have been 23, not 21. Not to be a stickler though. He was born in Belfast on August 31, 1945. Not that there is much difference between someone who is 21 and someone who is 23; I just thought I would point this out. Perhaps some of the tunes were written when he was 21, the album itself debuted when he was 23.

Van was a musician by 1956, at age 11. He has been making wonderful music for 50 years now, or at least playing music for 50 years. He played with the Monarchs, then formed Them, then went solo. How many other musicians can we mention that have been playing for 50 years?: (that are still with us…):

ummm,…

jm