🇹🇷 Turkey - Who has been to Turkey?

Has anyone here been to Turkey? I am curious as to general impressions, opinions, places to not be missed, etc…

2 Likes

I’ve only been to Kuşadası and Efeso. I liked it a lot and would like to go again (hopefully to Istambul and visit a friend who lives in Ankara too). The people are nice, but street sellers can be a bit exhausting (they follow you, even if you say you are not interested).

Turkey is awesome, backpacked across there for one month. Cheap now because of the Lira falling. Beautiful country with awesome food.

1 Like

I’ve been briefly once before, and agree, it is awesome!- am going again in July this year. We (me and the Memsaab) have relatives there, so will catch up with them for a few days. Planning to spend time in Istanbul, Fetiye and Alanya

I really like Olympos, which is the hippy beach with treehouses and no electricity allowed. But I was really young then, so not sure would like it anymore as it gets pretty wild.

A COMPLETE GUIDE TO OLYMPOS, (ANTALYA - TURKEY) | Biz Evde Yokuz

An old flame: a return trip to the beaches and mountains of Çıralı, Turkey | Turkey holidays | The Guardian I think Cirali down the road has a similar vibe but more mature, would like to check it out if went again

In order of best to worst:
Istanbul- one of the 20 greatest cities in the world
Ephesus
Capadoccia
Nemrut Dagi
Pamukale
Van and the east if you don’t want to be with so many other turists + Hakkari (near the Iran /Iraq border (if you like rugged mountain scenery. + Dogubayazit (Mount Ararat area.)
Trabzon and Sumela Monastery (on Black Sea Coast)
The South Coast to relax (Kas + Marmaris)

1 Like

Currently we have planned: 1) 3 weeks in Istanbul, 2) 1 month Antalya ( with some trips in the area: Fethiye, etc), and 3) 1 month based in Izmir. We are really excited and are really looking forward to it!

4 Likes

Went to Istanbul just before covid hit and loved it.

I’m not a foodie, or whatever the word is the kids use nowadays, but my god I couldn’t stop eating there.

Everything is delicious! And the apple tea… :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Looks like you will be there a really long time…definitely check out the hot air balloon ride in Cappadocia. Had to get up super early…like 4:30am but well worth it.

I’ve only been to Istanbul. Loved it. Stayed 4 days, but it was waaaay too short.

1 Like

We are in Turkey researching cities as potential long term immigration (expat/retirement, etc.) locations, so a month (or close) in each location makes sense to us. We are very much interested in seeing what it is like to actually live in a place, and a month is what we think is a fair minimum to get a good idea.

As for Cappadocia, we are still on the fence about it. It is quite far out of the way to go for a balloon ride in a cool looking place (and a very expensive one at that!). It looks very cool, for sure, but many of the things that tourists do there (quad rides, etc.) are not things we would choose to do with our 10 year old son. So add 3 return plane tickets on to over-priced hotels - and we are not sure. We would likely blow our discretionary budget for the month in several days alone …

Feel free to convince me otherwise!

2 Likes

2 weeks in Istanbul, 2 weeks in Antalya and a few days in Izmir are more than enough. Capadoccia is really beautiful. Nice hiking for a week or so. But balloon rides are dangerous since they frequently crash.

Entered through Syria before the troubles and returned twice. Adana is great – great for cooking classes on Turkish sweets.

Bodrum, Goreme, Edirne, Istanbul–all good. Would recommend Black Sea cities and Van in the East for the breakfast culture.

1 Like

We are living, not on a vacation. We have no home to go back to, and have no desire to be constantly moving, especially with our 10 year old in tow. We have a life to live, homeschooling, yoga to do, and guitar pieces to study! We are already feeling it, and who knows how long we will continue to travel, no matter how slowly. So the pace you suggest is an absolute no-go; we even have considered doing a full three months in one location, and may end up doing that after Turkey.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings.

I loved the food. It’s super cheap and probably even cheaper now with how much their currency has dropped.

I’m not joking when I said this, not 1 taxi we took was honest. They all tried to scam us. Every single one, I’m not exaggerating. Be very careful there.

They are super aggressive selling you things as a tourist.

2 Likes

Have you considered Portugal @Noel ? I believe some places give tax incentives and I’m not sure if you’re digital nomad now? There are places in Europe that i would find very appealing i was doing the digital nomad lifestyle.

I personally would suggest not living in Turkey. It’s still a Muslim country and I didn’t like their treatment of women in general.

1 Like

Latakia in Syria–Assad’s hometown and Alawite city.

Only place in an Arab country where I saw short slinky mini skirts worn by locals, not Russian hookers.

We will see what we think. My wife is very vocal about such things, and if she (or myself) have issues with the treatment of women in Turkey, it will quickly be off our list of potential places. Although I very much respect your opinion, I personally don’t completely agree with your view of Islamic countries (though I see your point somewhat), after having travelled to a few.

As for Portugal, it is just too expensive. If we need to live at Portugal’s price point, where rents are regularly over $1000 USD, I will need to work, which is what we are trying to avoid. That may be possible in some of the smaller towns in Portugal, but that doesn’t really work for us either - we need the resources that larger cities possess.

1 Like

I see. I personally couldn’t imagine living in Turkey but that’s my opinion of the place.

If Portugal is not right for your financial plans, I think that would leave out most of Europe as it’s one of the cheapest.

How about South America or Mexico? Many US expats go and live in Mexico and more frequently, Costa Rica from what I’ve heard. I’m not sure about safety however. My friends live in Costa Rica and seems to be enjoying.

1 Like