Who Have You Seen Live in Concert?

Oh, that reminds me of having seen Pat Metheny, dressed in pajamas surrounded by candles. But that wasn’t the biggest snoozer of a show I’ve been to. That credit goes to the Tibetan monks I saw at my university: 90 minuts of droning and bell ringing. :snore:

And I forgot to mention SRV before. Damn, that guy could play. :notworthy:

[quote]Bob Dylan (multiple shows)
Neil Young (multiple shows)
The Band
Richard Manuel + [color=red]Rick Danko[/color] (My girl’s band opened for them and we all got stoned after the show) [/quote]

Ok, now I am impressed with you.

Anyone ever see Zappa? I’d have quite enjoyed that.

Saw them on their last tour in 1998. Maybe even their final show. Byron Bay. It was a night.

[quote=“TomHill”][quote]Bob Dylan (multiple shows)
The Band
Richard Manuel + [color=red]Rick Danko[/color] (My girl’s band opened for them and we all got stoned after the show) [/quote]

Anyone ever see Zappa? I’d have quite enjoyed that.[/quote]
Me. Palais de Sports, Paris 1976. You would have. And Knebworth in 1978. I was wearing a green mohawk and riding an 800cc motorbike. 20. Fucking. Years. Old.

Fuck. I’m ancient. :frowning:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“TomHill”][quote]Bob Dylan (multiple shows)
The Band

Anyone ever see Zappa? I’d have quite enjoyed that.[/quote]
Me. Palais de Sports, Paris 1976. You would have. And Knebworth in 1978. I was wearing a green mohawk and riding an 800cc motorbike. 20. Fucking. Years. Old.

Fuck. I’m ancient. :frowning:[/quote]

I was 2 in 1976. But even then I was a smart young pup. Hats off to Sandy for seeing the Zappa.

Oh, that reminds me of having seen Pat Metheny, dressed in pajamas surrounded by candles. But that wasn’t the biggest snoozer of a show I’ve been to. That credit goes to the Tibetan monks I saw at my university: 90 minuts of droning and bell ringing. :snore:

And I forgot to mention SRV before. Damn, that guy could play. :notworthy:[/quote]

The monks are acid, not pot. :sunglasses:

And speaking of acid:
Baba Olatunji’s drums of passion!

And Hamza El Din (considered the father of modern Nubian music) saw him during the drums portion of a GD show, he and MIckey Hart playing small hand drums; one of the most incredible musical experiences of my life

Some of the best shows I’ve seen:

Rush
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Yes
Jethro Tull
Faith No More
Pennywise
Rollins Band
RHCP
Soundgarden
Cadillac Tramps
Eric Clapton
Edgar and Johnny Winter

I was also at an Elvis concert, although in the womb. (I’m sure I was groovin’ though…)

Some of the bands I truly wish I could have seen in their prime:

Black Sabbath
Uriah Heep
Jethro Tull
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple
Alice Cooper
Pink Floyd
KISS
Supertramp
Jimi Hendrix
King Crimson
Bad Religion
Jane’s Addiction
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

[quote=“Mer”]I was also at an Elvis concert, although in the womb. (I’m sure I was groovin’ though…)

[/quote]

I was at a Jethro Tull concert and my mom felt me kicking in time with the music inside her belly…

I remember NOT seeing the Red Hot Chilli Peppers at either Virgin 2000 or the Carling Festival because they were very boring and I had a backstage pass and therefore access to a huge quantity of booze and grub. Didn’t bother going out to see Blur either. If it had been Zappa I would have. Blur sounded quite good though from 50 feet behind the stage.

I wish I could have seen Zappa, he is my hero. I’m listening to ‘Hot Rats’ right now.

Metallica x 3 (first concert ever too)
Pearl Jam
Marilyn Manson (awesome theatrics)
Creed x 2
Everclear
Local H x 5
Better Than Ezra x 3
Green Day
Fuel
Matthew Sweet
No Doubt
Dave Matthews Band (I was forced to go by an ex-gf)
Jewel (forced to go by same ex-gf, Jewel is quite a yodel-er)
New Found Glory x 3
Dashboard Confessional
The Beach Boys (I believe it was 2 of the original members, some of their sons, and others)
Jimmy Buffet

I know there’s more, but I’m drawing a blank right now. And I’ve seen too many hardcore bands perform live to list, though I guess they’re considered “shows”, not concerts. A few of my favorites:

One King Down
Shai Hulud
From Autumn to Ashes
Snapcase
Bane

I would have loved to have seen:

Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Skid Row (or Sebastian Bach when he was touring with a new band playing Skid Row songs, missed it 3 times)

Hot Rats is without doubt the best Zappa out there.

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“Mer”]
I was also at an Elvis concert, although in the womb. (I’m sure I was groovin’ though…)[/quote]

I was at a Jethro Tull concert and my mom felt me kicking in time with the music inside her belly…[/quote]
What year? Which tour?

Thanks for the reminder

Jethro Tull, 1988, Saratoga NY

I’d give my left nut to see the Jethro Tull - A Passion Play tour '73.

I was 2 yrs old…

:laughing: No… It was the pleasant kind of stoning.

Woodstock, New York - 1969
Richie Havens - beyond description.
Ravi Shankar - First Indian person to have a top ten hit in the U.S. and ONLY man to do so.
Melanie - I thought it lacked in so many ways.
Arlo - Coming into L.A. - As good as it gets.
Joan Baez - Sucked big time as always
Country Joe - Damn the rain. Recall it well.
CCR - My heros. Lived for many years near my home and was happy to hear them live after the concert. Got drunk together, fell down together. Awww., the good old days.
Janis Joplin - Try and Ball and Chain. How can this possibly be better than she did it? DAMN!
Sly - I enjoyed but was much preoccupied. I just didnt hear much of it. Actually, what I was doing was so enjoyable that I just didn’t miss it much. I hope it was good.
Airplane - White Rabbit - Still one of my favorites.
Joe Cocker - OK but it was not what I was looking for.
Country Joe - Just becoming popular and the tunes were not what I had heard before. Also, the crowd was too loud and I really didn’t hear them that clearly. Appologies to them.
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - This when Young was really getting into the group. Everyone was listening for the nuances. Not me - I was dead ass drunk and stoned awakened later under a school bus with a hell of a head ache. Got up, was handed a bong and a bottle of vodka. Did them both and went back to the party. Damn, I wish I could do it that way today.
Jimmi;
Aww, hell, what can I tell you. You already know. He was a high point that few will ever forget. I know that every time I hear hear his tunes, I recall a wilder time in upstate NY when all was good.
All in all, Woodstock is a concert that I will never forget. I decided to go. I was just out of High School and had 20 dollars to my name. I loaded up a backpack, sleeping bag and few groceries from mom and pops fridge. I hit the highway. The first night I spent under a bridge in the worst storm the NW U.S. had seen in years. In the early hours of the am, I caught a ride into Boise. Then a ride into Columbus, OH. Slept in a flop and walked for hours to get out of Columbus. Then some heads picked me up that were also going to Woodstock. A VW van and some good company that will never be forgotten. We got there late due to the traffic and we were able to crash the fence along with thousands of others.
Never will be anything like this event.

The Rolling Stones (Steel Wheels), 1989 in Toronto (Skydome). Living Color were the front runners. Excellent concert.
Metallica, 1994 or 95 (?) in Vancouver (UBC Thunderbird Stadium). Two other bands played. I think one was Pantera or Pandora’s Box or something. So, so concert. It rained all the way up until Metallica started. Don’t think I enjoyed it as much as I could have because I was broke.
Tragically Hip, 1995 in Vancouver (UBC). I think there were six bands all day, but I didn’t get there until after work. Blue’s Travellers were one of them. My first and only mosh pit. Good concert.

That’s it, I think save some live music in bars. Saw Long John Baldry once in a bar in Fredericton, NB (Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival). Also saw the Barenaked Ladies in a really small univeristy bar at UNB, Fredericton.

Oh damn. I just remembered. I saw Alice Cooper. Great White were the front runners. Ha ha! “Once bitten, twice shy baby”. Also saw April Wine with Corey Hart :unamused: Oh yeah and Loverboy (ha) and Johnny Rivers (same show) in an ampitheatre in Vancouver.

Young Black Teenagers (brutal)
Primus (Les was the shit)
Anthrax (knew nothing about them, but they rocked)
Public Enemy (Flava Flav came out into the audience and actually gave this white boy high five. He also had the largest brother I’ve ever seen next to his side. Nothing was going to happen to the Flava.)

L7 ( interesting)
Beastie Boys (Unbelievable, best show I’ve ever seen. Check your head tour)

Phish (numerous times, always awesome)

Rusted Root (upstaged Carlos and crew)
Santana (They really sucked that night, and it didn’t help that RR was really on.)

Fleetwood Mac (Really good show. It was nice to be in the second row.)

Rage Against the Machine (They were great, but I think it would have been much better if they were the headliner in a smaller venue. They weren’t arena big yet, if they ever were.)
U2 (Solid, but nothing spectacular)

Big Head Todd and the Monsters (My favorite band! Numerous times. Always rocked)

Really regret not going to See Pink Floyd when I had the chance. Would loved to have seen the Dead, but they were dead by the time I got into them. And I’m really pissed I couldn’t get tickets to the first Lollapalooza. I’ve also always wanted to see Skynard.

thebayou, I’d love to see Primus. Wonderful stuff.

Mer, I love ‘Hot Rats’ for the Captain Beefheart appearance, ‘Peaches On Regalia’ which is one of the most smiley-cool pieces of music ever and Jean Luc Ponty’s mad violins. I’m not sure if it’s my all time favourite but it’s a good place for a new Zappa listener to start. I absolutely love ‘Zoot Allures’; I think this might be my favourite. I also love ‘One Size Fits All’, ‘Apostrophe’ and last but never least, ‘Joe’s Garage’.

The best live show I ever saw was the Chili Peppers on the “Mother’s milk” tour in '88 or '89. They were covered head to toe with dayglow paint and played with so much engery, unbelievable! Anyone else see this tour?

Some of the acts I’ve seen:

Motorhead - three times (pain, pain and more pain - wonderful! hahahahahaha)
Neil Young/ Pearl Jam in a field
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
The Cure - Excellent show!
Faith No More (Before the Real Thing) at the (new) Marquee…They’ve turned it into a city wankers pub now
Voivod
Kreator
Fairport Convention (who?) ask yer dad
Tricky - interesting - Scott Ian guest on guitar
Nuclear Assault
Metallica - Even if you hate 'em their live shows are very entertaining.
Tori Amos - :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:
Rollins (spoken word gig - what a character!)
Faster Pussycat
AC/DC
Jane’s Addiction in a tiny club, between the release of JA and Nothing’s Shocking. Dave used his vibrator on the guitar.

But probably the most disappointing show was PJ Harvey. Two crap suppport bands, and a sixty minute set weren’t worth twenty quid (which was a lot back then).