Who is a foreigner in Taiwan NOT teaching English?

I have always been curious to know how many foreigners who are in Taiwan for the long term that DO NOT teaching English.
I want to know, can foreigners in Taiwan do some other kind of job OTHER than teaching English.

I see foreigners married to Taiwanese ladies who plan to settle down in Taiwan, but all they can do jobwise is to teach English. Nothing else.

Who here is working in Taiwan and NOT teaching English or anything similar. That includes: proofreading and editing.

I’ve been here for ten years and I DO NOT teach English.

:sunglasses:

That fact that you posted this in the Teaching English in Taiwan forum means you won’t get as many replies as you should, since non-English-teachers are unlikely to look here.

That said, and in answer to your question, I’m a foreigner and I’m a technical writer.

[quote=“Anubis”]I’ve been here for ten years and I do NOT teach English.

:sunglasses:[/quote]

What do you do as a profession?
No real specifics required if you do not want to share.
Perhaps you can at least mention the industry you are working in.

[quote=“irishstu”]That fact that you posted this in the Teaching English in Taiwan forum means you won’t get as many replies as you should, since non-English-teachers are unlikely to look here.

That said, and in answer to your question, I’m a foreigner and I’m a technical writer.[/quote]

I don’t care about the amount of replies I get. It is not a competition to see if I can get the most replies in this post.

Are you including technical writing and copywriting in your “teaching english”? Both of which I do and have done.

Being involved in using the English language is a major industry here because it’s a skill that many native speakers have and one that the locals need to work in a global marketplace. It’s certainly easier to get into a field such as writing here because there are less fish in this particular pond.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“Anubis”]I’ve been here for ten years and I do NOT teach English.

:sunglasses:[/quote]

What do you do as a profession?
No real specifics required if you do not want to share.
Perhaps you can at least mention the industry you are working in.[/quote]

I came here as a consultant for the ROC Air Force. Cloak and dagger stuff. Working in a related field.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“irishstu”]That fact that you posted this in the Teaching English in Taiwan forum means you won’t get as many replies as you should, since non-English-teachers are unlikely to look here.

That said, and in answer to your question, I’m a foreigner and I’m a technical writer.[/quote]

I don’t care about the amount of replies I get. It is not a competition to see if I can get the most replies in this post.[/quote]

OK, I wasn’t trying to insult you or anything. Just trying to help.

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”][quote=“irishstu”]That fact that you posted this in the Teaching English in Taiwan forum means you won’t get as many replies as you should, since non-English-teachers are unlikely to look here.

I don’t care about the amount of replies I get. It is not a competition to see if I can get the most replies in this post.[/quote]

Too bad, because with your winning, friendly manner, you’d be sure to gobble up the lion’s share.

My apologies if you’re a Frenchie.

I translate.

I gave up dildo modeling some years back and am now in corporate training, executive coaching, and consulting.

I take photos, and sometimes teach other people how to take photos.

I’m a document editor.

Of course, at meetings, he has to stand up in front of everyone and say

“My name’s Fortigurn, and I’m a document editor.”

And then everyone goes

“Hi Fortigurn.”

Thanks to those who have replied with sensible answers.

No bankers or engineers then?

Technical Writers and similar are ok to be included in the list as a non Engilsh teaching job.

I think a number of people who don’t teach are unlikely to reply, in part because they don’t want to begin offering career advice to teachers looking for a move.

Just a hunch. :wink:

[quote=“emerihsoetihw”]Thanks to those who have replied with sensible answers.

No bankers or engineers then?

Technical Writers and similar are ok to be included in the list as a non Engilsh teaching job.[/quote]

You still haven’t told us what you do

I’m guessin’ he’s a teacher, but he WANTS to be a banker or an engineer.

I’d like to be an engineer, too.

And I’m ready for a move!

I’ve been teachin’ long enough.

I’m ready to start drivin’ trains or drinkin’ other people’s milkshakes! :discodance:

Used to teach English, then changed to teaching Chinese, then changed to website / software development.

I see a lot of foreign ladies pushing elderly Taiwanese gentlemen around in wheelchairs. I don’t think they’re teaching them English.

Isn’t the president foreign?