Who is Chinese? Is there a Chinese DNA required?

I’m still trying to find out if some of my ancestors are Chinese or not, if I’m a 7th generation Chinese I have less than 1% Chinese blood in me, but this apparently enough?

According to the laws only people with Chinese ancestors can apply for Citizenship without giving up their current citizenship.

Questions:

1. Can I get a blood transfusion to get “chinese blood”? If so how much is required?
  2. Do all Chinese people have common gene making them Chinese? If so is this gene mentioned in the law and only people with this gene can apply for passport?
  3. Has anyone sued the Taiwanese government for racism or separatism on skin color?
  4. If Taiwan has got a few lawsuits like these from foreigners with APRCs would that hurt Taiwan in a bid for UN or WHO? :smiling_imp:
  5. It’s very hard to prove that I’m a 7th generation Chinese since Sweden didn’t have official records dating that far back, but no one can prove that I’m NOT 7th generation Chinese either! Maybe a DNA test?

Desperate to become Taiwanese…

China has a Russian ethnic minority. Russia was established by Vikings, and a lot of the Vikings came from Sweden. So try claiming that you or your forebears are Russian Chinese from Xinjiang or Heilongjiang. Come to think of it, I could try that too, being one eighth Danish.

There are only four blood types: A, B, AB, O.

If you examine the gene structure, you will find no difference between Chinese, Japanese, Hungarians, Bulgarians, Germans, Spanish, French, Canadians, and Eskimos.

I am unaware of any legal provisions in the Taiwan law which would provide a “basis” for such a suit.

To my knowledge the Taiwan law states that you need to have Chinese blood relation (ZhungGuoXueTong), which is something that neither a DNA nor a blood test can prove.

Do I need to provide proof that I actually have Chinese blood relatives (within 7 generations), or do they have some test that can show I’m not Chinese?

To my knowledge only Jewish religion requires you to be born by a Jewish mother. Never heard of any country that states you need to be born or a decent by a certain race.
Previously South Africa had apartheid laws against black people (wonder how Michael Jackson would be listed there…), but those laws were abandoned due to international pressure several years ago.
Is Taiwan the only country left in the world that actually separates whites from yellows?

There must be a clear statement in the law that clearly defines who is Chinese and not. If a person claims he is of Chinese decent, they should be able to prove that this person is NOT Chinese by an easy test.

Since protests are so “popular” these days, what about all the long-term foreigners in Taiwan that DO NOT have the right to vote here, let’s also stage a protest and ask for ID cards!

It is not quite so easy . . . . . you also have to prove that you are not of PRC Chinese ancestry . . . . .

According to Taiwan’s Nationality Law, a foreigner must first renounce his/her original nationality . . . . . and only then are you allowed to obtain ROC nationality.

You’ve got to be kidding. [shakes head in disbelief]

You’ve got to be kidding. :noway: [/quote]There have been people who after having a bone marrow transplant, their blood carries the DNA of the donor.

My quest is to become Taiwanese citizen without giving up my Swedish nationality. The only way to do this legally is to prove that I’m Chinese…

Hartzell wrote that people with PRC ancestry cannot get Taiwanese citizenship? Is this true? Since I have a few ABC friends that got Taiwanese passports eventhough they never had any relation to Taiwan (their parents and grandparents were from the mainland). Can this be verified? Or do I need to prove that my ancestors are in fact aborigines from Taiwan???

A bone marrow transplant… sounds very exciting… then I really do have Chinese blood and genes!!!
One would might ask how many organs do you need to change to become Chinese? Lungs, livers, heart… Does the law state this?
So a foreigner that has a car accident might have better chance to become Chinese than one who hasn’t an accident???

This immigration law would never hold up in court…

[quote=“PeiAn”] One would might ask how many organs do you need to change to become Chinese? Lungs, livers, heart… Does the law state this?
So a foreigner that has a car accident might have better chance to become Chinese than one who hasn’t an accident???[/quote]

Is this Scandanavian humour or something?

I suggest you ingest a Chinese person to acquire the necessary volume of cells internally. 60 kilos ought to be enough.
You can advertise on the Internet for volunteers for suicide by cannibalism.
Hope that helps.

Why on earth has this thread digressed to this drivel. :wanker:

Digressed? PeiAn started out by asking if he could get a blood transfusion to become more Chinese or words to that effect.
It was drivel in the first place.

This is not quite what I said. If your Chinese relatives are from the Mainland, and are still there, it would make more sense to apply for PRC citizenship. Otherwise, why should the ROC recognize you?

The ROC government is from the Mainland too. You have to research the historical roots to the ROC - PRC controversy . . . . . . but it is a bit too much to go into here . . . . .

What court? The courts in Taiwan all uphold it.

Let’s say that I ‘discover’ some hundred years ago a Chinese girl went to Sweden and married one of my ancestors, now several generations later I’m born.

Do I need to find her relatives in China and proove that they are related to me via her?

I want to get a Taiwanese ID card, I want to have the same rights as my ABC friends, I want to vote and buy land here. Taiwan is my home now after 14 years here.

I don’t want to be treated less equal since I so far cannot prove I’m from Chinese descent, I don’t want my skin color to impact my right to get a Dual Nationality.
I don’t want Taiwan to have discriminatory laws against non-Chinese, we are all people and should all be treated equal.

I want the law to state clearly what they define who is and is not Chinese!
If there is a gene? DNA structure? Bone marrow? Certain organs? Nose length? Skin color? Or anything else defining who is able to apply for a Taiwan ID card without forfeiting his original one.

Since I’m Swedish and the laws in Sweden doesn’t allow me to be stateless I cannot apply for a ID card in the same way as Americans, my only way is to get a Dual Nationality, by proving I’m Chinese.

I’m not a cannibal, but if that is required to become Taiwanese let the law say so… then I will consider…

I think this is a fascinating topic. Is it really true that Taiwan law specifies a category called “Chung-Guo Xia-Tong”? Please explain, somebody.

Imagine, if you will, a white American and a Chinese-American, both born in San Francisco. What exactly would establish the “Chinese-ness” of the Chinese-American, that would legally distinguish him from the white American? Appearance? Name? Proof of ancestral citizenship? What? Who would be doing the evaluation?

And then (assuming that this really is some kind of legal category), what benefits would the Chinese-American be eligible for?

Some side-questions:

Does it matter whether the Chinese-American’s ancestors were from Taiwan or the mainland? (Or, from China during the Republican period as opposed to before or after?)

Has anyone anticipated whether Chinese minorities (such as Russian-Chinese!) count, for purposes of this law? What about people of mixed-race?

I’ve noticed that I’ve begun to look a bit Asian in some photographs…

Eat lots of Chinese food and try it.

What if a Chinese person is adopted at birth by white parents. Is this person Chinese or not?

In my travels to the various gov’t bureaus, there is a special category for those who can prove “ROC blood” for expedited ROC PR -> citizenship. This was told me as a way to get my M’sian Chinese wife here in Taiwan given some of the difficulty I had to get her over here.

I did not ask further what it means, and what does one need to do to go about proving “ROC blood” for purposes of immigration. In theory, it does exist because this clerk went into a long spiel about it. It could possibly be an avenue for PeiAn to explore.

In China, this would be possible. But not here in Taiwan.

Does living most of your adult life in Taiwan make one “Chinese”?
Or just “new Taiwanese”? :wink:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Does living most of your adult life in Taiwan make one “Chinese”?
Or just “new Taiwanese”?)[/quote]
If Wolf, or anyone else with lengthy residence in Taiwan, is looking for an informal label, then of course you are free to call yourself “Chinese,” “Taiwanese,” “New Taiwanese,” “21st century Taiwanese,” or anything else.

However, legally speaking, unless you have a Taiwan ID card, government agencies here in Taiwan, as well as banks, credit card companies, automobile dealerships, real estate agencies, English language centers, etc. will still consider you a foreigner.

I hope this posting clears up the confusion that any long time residents may have had.