Who is Christian?

Islam is literally closer to Christian theology than Mormonism. As is Judaism We all agree there is one god, and no other. All very strictly monotheistic. Mormons believe in many gods. Rejects the trinity. No Christians denomination, Protestant or Catholic recognizes them as Christians that I know of. And no other accepts their ideas of God. Their prophet, holy book. Or that Jesus came back to North America and eden is in Missouri. The list goes on. Only Mormons claim they are Christians and everyone else is an apostate and wrong.

Christianity is strictly monotheistic. Its completely incompatible to polytheism. They are mutually exclusive

1 Like

BS, there are loads of other Christian variants who don’t accept the Trinity (like the Brethren)

Wikipedia says
“Modern nontrinitarian groups or denominations include Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dawn Bible Students, Friends General Conference, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, the Seventh Day Church of God, Unitarian Universalist Christians, United Church of God, The Shepherd’s Chapel and Spiritism.”

They aren’t Christians either. Like other Nontrinitarianism such as Jehovah’s Witness.

Trinity is a fundamental doctrine of Christianity since the council of Nicaea.

Mormons are also polytheistic. Not compatible to Christian theology.

2 Likes

And they are all shunned by other Christian theologians.

Because of the trinity? That’s pretty ridiculous to my ears. Jesus never said anything about it. That all came much later.

Protestants in Taiwan also say that Catholics aren’t Christian. This has always confounded me! Perhaps it’s the way it’s expressed in Chinese.

What a load of crap. :roll:

It’s nice seeing you guys have an argument that isn’t about politics for a change. :smiley:

Edit: Oops, spoke too soon.

5 Likes

Historically they’ve been thought of as a cult in many countries but they have received more widespread acceptance over the last few decades. Mitt Romney is a Mormon and a lot saner than that chap in charge right now.

1 Like

I’d say, show me the Trinity as fact in the Bible and then a discussion can be had.
Protip. Trinity is not in the Bible

1 Like

John 10:30-33 New King James Version (NKJV)

30 I and My Father are one.”

Isaiah 45:5-12

5 I am God, the only God there is. Besides me there are no real gods. I’m the one who armed you for this work, though you don’t even know me,

6 So that everyone, from east to west, will know that I have no god-rivals. I am God, the only God there is.

7 I form light and create darkness, I make harmonies and create discords. I, God, do all these things.

Still no answers on how Mormons believing in separate Gods, and infinite amount og Gods in a polytheistic view…is compatible with monotheistic theology shared by Islam, Judaism and Christianity.

I hope we arent reading the Pagan’s conspiring with egyptians and Osirus to make the trinity and that Jesus is not actually god according to some lost text of the bible in the vatican secret archives

Then they would be clicking “Christian,” wouldn’t they?

for me, this page is more than enough.

1 Like

Lol. Come on now. Even your first quote doesn’t mean there is a trinity. And Christians toss huge chunks of the OT whenever it suits them. Some Christians don’t even believe that Jesus is God at all.

For me, they claim to believe in Christ, they’re Christians. If I have to figure out every competing claim among the thousands of them and parse them for accuracy I won’t have time to do anything else. When various claimed Christians can reach some kind of consensus, let us know. I won’t be waiting up though

3 Likes

I said “You are gods…” (Psalm 82 Masoretic, = 81 LXX)

And then there are all the weird plurals like “Elohim”…

1 Like

Did you read the context? Referring to people with authority like judges.

At one point, you can either classify them as Christians because mormon claim to be even when protestants and catholics all deny it or actually come to understand the differences for theological purposes.

Is Taiwan part of China?

I’m pretty sure the baseline for whether someone is Christian boils down to whether that person has been baptized and has faith in Jesus Christ.

Some Christians of different denominations are naturally gonna think their way is the best and question the validity of other ways. The same could be said about religious people in general. I mean, if you talk to enough Protestants in the American Bible Belt, you’ll find some of them don’t even think Catholics count as proper Christians.

1 Like