Who is Christian?

@Andrew0409

John 14: 28 KJV

[ 28 ]Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I

The father is greater yet they are the same? Going away to yourself?
You would have to twist in a pretzel mentally to try to get the Trinity out of that.

Philippians 2:9-11 “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of the Father.”

The same person can somehow exault themselves?

Matthew 24:36, Jesus speaking: “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

They are the same but the son doesn’t know the end date?

No. You haven’t shown why we people on the sidelines should care about what looks to us for all the world like a petty doctrinal dispute. If the case was “they say they are Christians but they burn statues of Christ” or “they reject the entire New Testament” or something, that would be one thing. But it’s not. The burden is on you here, and cracks about wikipedia and the like are just making you look foolish.

1 Like

The nature of God is a petty dispute?

Believing in monotheism and polytheism is a pretty big discrepancy.

And I already mentioned their holy book and prophet that no one else recognizes supersedes and “correct” the New Testament.

1 Like

Andrew has a point. Wars have been started over this kind of thing.

If you think the trinity says they are the same, that’s probably why you think it’s wrong. We are using humans finite minds to use a even more finite language to discribe god.

2 Likes

Didn’t get much recognition in his time, killed off too early, and gaining respect later? I dunno, sounds like a certain Roman-era Jewish prophet to me.

1 Like

No I’m not. Never had a chance. Thought about it for a while and become agnostic for a long time until I returned to the faith.

This forum is probably a little blue for the missionaries.

Just one catch: religions usually work better when you wait till the messiah dies. Otherwise, all you’ve got is a cult on your hands. :grin:

1 Like

There was a point when Christians were following Jesus while he was still alive. Imo, most religions are just very successful cults. Go back far enough and I’m sure they all had cult-like origins.

Stop ruining our fun with your good points!

1 Like

Didn’t they still call themselves Jews for a century or two?

Catholics are technically Christian, though oddly I also felt like they should’ve had their own separate option.

I consider “former Catholic” its own breed, as well, being one myself :rofl:

Yeah, but even Chinese makes a distinction. (天主教 vs 基督教) Usually Christian tends to refer to Non-Catholic followers of Christ, such as Protestants.

@Hanna I did live with a rabbi for a while with his family. Turning on and off the light during Shabbat lol.

You gotta get hip with this thread. The ones getting kicked out of the Christian club are the Mormons.

Protestants and Catholics may be and feel quite distinct from one another, but in the end they are still technically all Christians.

Catholics mean universal. They were the universal church for Christians before the Protestant reformation.

Hadn’t the Byzantines and Russians gone their separate way before that?

No, that only happened a couple of weeks ago (over Ukraine). You may be thinking of the Great Schism, which happened a thousand years ago, and involved the Eastern and Western Roman Empire. (Eastern = Byzantine)

That’s what I was referring to. Byzantines and Russians going their separate ways from the Romans a thousand years back. (But I’m not sure which one gets the term Orthodox, or if they’re both Orthodox, or where Nestorian fits in, so I opted for “Byzantines and Russians”.)

EDIT: Oh what the hell, may as well throw in the point that some of the Protestant movements complained that Catholicism was polytheist - not just the trinity, but also Mary and all the saints. Islam has said the same, I’m not sure how often.