Who is Christian?

This is not true. Many churches have different views of baptism.

but cannot have different views on trinity? I believe it is an important issue and big difference for Christian people, but from outside, I recognize all of them are Christians.

I’ve heard some denominations of Jews don’t recognize some groups of people as Jews.

The trinity is the way Christians understand God. Changing the nature of God is like changing the whole religion itself. If God is A and you say god is B, and they are mutually exclusive. That’s a problem.

Baptism is a ceremonial practice. Different understand, although some are a little bit out there doesn’t change who god is.

Iiuc, that is what mainstream Christian people say, and there are non-mainstream Christian people who say different things.

Each church’s baptism style is certainly different, but I think some form of baptism is still par for the course if you’re really serious about the faith. As I recall the bible is quite clear about it.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

From what I can tell it seems like you can’t be cleansed of sin and receive the Holy Spirit properly until you’ve been baptized.

Of course, the bible is, and can only be, open to interpretation. Who really knows?

Honestly it sounds like none of you are interested in a theological discussion and are already set on saying what a load of crap from whatever I say no matter how theologically sound. I don’t think anyone here is interested in actually hearing what someone with a theological education want to say besides talking up your own understanding from wikipedia

I’d have a better time convincing CCP that Taiwan is not part of China. BUTTTTT the Chinese say it is so i’m just going classify it as part of China. It’s obviously more complicated but whatever. So this is the last I’ll write about it.

Are you ordained? Serious question.

@Andrew0409

John 14: 28 KJV

[ 28 ]Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I

The father is greater yet they are the same? Going away to yourself?
You would have to twist in a pretzel mentally to try to get the Trinity out of that.

Philippians 2:9-11 “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of the Father.”

The same person can somehow exault themselves?

Matthew 24:36, Jesus speaking: “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

They are the same but the son doesn’t know the end date?

No. You haven’t shown why we people on the sidelines should care about what looks to us for all the world like a petty doctrinal dispute. If the case was “they say they are Christians but they burn statues of Christ” or “they reject the entire New Testament” or something, that would be one thing. But it’s not. The burden is on you here, and cracks about wikipedia and the like are just making you look foolish.

1 Like

The nature of God is a petty dispute?

Believing in monotheism and polytheism is a pretty big discrepancy.

And I already mentioned their holy book and prophet that no one else recognizes supersedes and “correct” the New Testament.

1 Like

Andrew has a point. Wars have been started over this kind of thing.

If you think the trinity says they are the same, that’s probably why you think it’s wrong. We are using humans finite minds to use a even more finite language to discribe god.

2 Likes

Didn’t get much recognition in his time, killed off too early, and gaining respect later? I dunno, sounds like a certain Roman-era Jewish prophet to me.

1 Like

No I’m not. Never had a chance. Thought about it for a while and become agnostic for a long time until I returned to the faith.

This forum is probably a little blue for the missionaries.

Just one catch: religions usually work better when you wait till the messiah dies. Otherwise, all you’ve got is a cult on your hands. :grin:

1 Like

There was a point when Christians were following Jesus while he was still alive. Imo, most religions are just very successful cults. Go back far enough and I’m sure they all had cult-like origins.

Stop ruining our fun with your good points!

1 Like

Didn’t they still call themselves Jews for a century or two?

Catholics are technically Christian, though oddly I also felt like they should’ve had their own separate option.

I consider “former Catholic” its own breed, as well, being one myself :rofl: