Who is Christian?

Mormon here. Well, the name is actually “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints”. I’m just resurrecting this post cause I find it humorous when others tell me what I believe in :smiley:

1 Like

Peace be with you.

2 Likes

Thank you sir

Well, you’re safe in here with me. I have no idea what Mormon’s believe. I’d read years ago, that Mormons make up a large and more conservative leaning part of the federal government.

And my brother’s name is Joseph Smith, which is hilarious.

2 Likes

:joy: that is awesome. He would be very popular if he ever attended one of our church meetings.

Well, since your resurrected the thread already, why don’t you take the opportunity to help us understand what you beliefs are?
Better yet, you could correct what was said here about Mormons, so we can get it from you POV. After all, we are all looking for The Truth, aren’t we?

Not here, pal. I got no truck with that kind of absolute Truth, but Reading gives me Good Enough and that seems to be enough to navigate homo-sapiens reality without taking too much damage.

1 Like

Good idea, thanks for the invite. I’ll give you the short and sweet. We believe in God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. Only by Jesus Christ can man be saved. Probably the biggest difference from other churches is we believe in continuing revelation from heaven, as was in the days of Christ and shortly after, or whenever their were prophets in OT times.
I don’t remember all what some have listed here as my potential beliefs, and I’m too lazy to reread, but we are monotheistic. I know it can be confusing if somewhere in our doctrine it suggests theres potential for more gods. We only worship God the Father and Christ.
As for if we care if others consider us Christians, maybe awhile ago more of us did. I personally don’t care, I know I believe in Christ.
In the end, I think the best advice is from the Man himself “by their fruits you shall know them”. With that logic, I’ve seen some Baptists that are more Christian then some Mormons, and Mormons more Christian than some Catholics, and Buddhists more Christ-like then many others. Maybe we focus too much on labels rather then living the teachings. Feel free to ask any specific questions :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Have you been reading Huck Finn lately or some other books set around the time of the Civil War?

Can you get me a deal on a bike helmet??

2 Likes

Noop. Jack White maybe.

I got no truck with your woman
Always comin’ over when I ain’t home
You hand a buck to me baby
Tried your luck, you tried to get in my song
Oh well your mama was a…

1 Like

If that’s a Mormon joke, ask the other guy. I’m the American.

Just ask a missionary to give you their helmet once their done with their mission.

I was going to say, that’s the second most made-up sounding name I’ve ever heard :wink:

1 Like

You must be a convert. All the Saints I know have a sense of humour.

We use it to cope with and embrace how weird we are

Do Mormons believe that there are many gods?

Latter-day Saints also believe that there are other gods and goddesses outside the Godhead

So yes. Mormons worship God the father as their god. But the doctrine believes in more gods. That is not monotheism in any definition I can find outside of Mormon belief. Monotheism is the belief that there is 1 God.

You may disagree, but this is probably the reason I can’t accept Mormons as Christians. Other denominations and Catholics would also reject this idea of other gods as Christianity. But you are of course free to label yourself anyway you want and I have no reason to make you change your views. But I hold firm on mine on this issue.

Lol. Favorite thing of Christians is to say you’re not the real Christian.

1 Like

Why would that be the favorite thing?

1 Like

You should ask the Christians. That’s the thing they keep spouting the most as if some old White bearded “man” gives a shit.