"Who Is Online" section

The Who Is Online section (near the bottom of the main forum page) has developed a number of problems.

This is fine.

This number has stayed the same for a long enough time that it would appear something is broken.

This line has remained blank for days if not weeks. Something’s wrong.

I’m not certain this works either, though the numbers do change. Compare them, though, with the numbers on the separate “Who Is Online” page.

But this was mainly due to an attack of spambots or something else unpleasant. I recommend deleting this – or at least resetting it.

Thanks for pointing this out. I can address some of these

This number has stayed the same for a long enough time that it would appear something is broken. [/quote]
Actually, this number dropped [color=red]-20%[/color] last week when I activated the Hide Zero Members hack. So, 4,058 represents people who have posted at least once since the last purging – which I think was around Chinese New Year.

But you are right, it is high time for another purge.

This line has remained blank for days if not weeks. Something’s wrong. [/quote]
This is connected to the Hide Zero Members hack - it modified it so that it would show the last Forumosan to post for the first time (now if THAT isn’t confusing for you, I don’t know what is). I don’t know why it isn’t working properly (maybe we should just drop the line)

I’m not certain this works either, though the numbers do change. Compare them, though, with the numbers on the separate “Who Is Online” page. [/quote]
You got me with this one - the pages should be the same. I’ll take a closer look from now on

But this was mainly due to an attack of spambots or something else unpleasant. I recommend deleting this – or at least resetting it.[/quote]
I agree - we should reset this. It was the result of a server assault that hit other Taiwan discussion forums at the time

I’m not certain this works either, though the numbers do change. Compare them, though, with the numbers on the separate “Who Is Online” page. [/quote]
You got me with this one - the pages should be the same. I’ll take a closer look from now on[/quote]
I took a quick peek and the Who is Online page seems to display the past 10 minutes, instead of only the past 5 mins.

I’ll have a look at the code when I get the chance

[quote=“Goose Egg”]

But this was mainly due to an attack of spambots or something else unpleasant. I recommend deleting this – or at least resetting it.[/quote]
I agree - we should reset this. It was the result of a server assault that hit other Taiwan discussion forums at the time[/quote]

Heh… and I thought “Wow, what a nice warm community… everybody was online, congratulating each other on New Year’s Eve” :laughing: