Who is this guy?

Every week or so the news posts about this guy… saying all kinds of “predictions” of doom and gloom like a modern day Nostrodamus or something.

Why is Taiwan news constantly talking about him?

He’s Abhigya Anand. His vague predictions called the pandemic back in early 2020 so of course Taiwanese media had to start reporting him lmao.

I think he’s a celebrity astrologer or something in India. He’s got more than 1 million subscribers on youtube.

He updates his observations a lot and talks super vague stuff, so every time something bad happens (like a war or an earthquake or whatever) Taiwanese media would say it’s accurate.

This woman is kind of his equivalent in Taiwan. She’s got 1 million subscribers on youtube and more on Facebook, which is a really huge following as that means 5% of the population are subscribed to her. I’ve bought her astrology book a few years ago lmao. She’s fun to follow. :rofl:

I’m from India and I’ve never heard of him. Neither has my family. However I went for a foot massage near Zhongxiao Fuxing once, and the owner of the place asked me if I watch his YouTube videos after the classic 你是哪裡人 conversation :man_facepalming:

Guess this is what the Taiwanese media discusses here…

4 Likes

her weight must go up and down with the correctness of her predictions

1 Like

Her business sense is quite brilliant. She makes like more than 10 million/year with social media and occasional talk show appearances.

A really funny thing that happened is that in 2017 or so she had a gig for a tv show in Paris and the crew got robbed there (because of course lmao). Everyone was asking why she never predicted that :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this is too funny

4 Likes

You’re asking why people believe in astrology? I think you know the answer…

Yea I wish he would just say something the line of “Taiwan’s over reliance on masks will cause a huge disaster for Taiwan” because they listen to him far more than experts.

2 Likes

. . . we have actually not “over reli[ed]” on masks and instead also relied on border control, contact tracing, hand washing, social distancing, and vaccination? :thinking:

You’re right, this prediction thing is kinda tricky!

Guy

1 Like

He’s actually mentioned Taiwan in passing, but it’s usually along the line of anti-vaxx bs and how people should fight covid using alternative medicine “like Taiwan”. By alternative medicine he probably meant acupuncture and Chinese medicine.

Astrology would have been a more reasonable choice. At least people don’t take astrology too seriously.

I think TL has a good point. What people need is a dose of superstition medicine from a superstition expert to counter the superstition they’ve been infected with.

2 Likes

You said it, not me. :joy:

Guy