Who likes Genesis?

Taken from the absurdly idiotic (and mind boggling) EIGHTEENTH album, Invisible Touch, I present to you the worst in English pop music. TONIGHT!

[quote]Tonight, Tonight, Tonight lyrics

I’m coming down, coming down like a monkey, but it’s alright
Like a load on your back that you can’t see but it’s alright
Try to shake it loose, cut it free, let it go, get it away from me.
Cos tonight, tonight, tonight I’m gonna make it right
Tonight, tonight, tonight.
I’m going down, going down, like a monkey, but it’s alright
Try to pick yourself up, carry that weight that you can’t see, don’t you know
it’s alright
It’s like a helter skelter, going down and down, round and round but just get it
away from me.
Because tonight, tonight, tonight
We’re gonna make it right
I got some money in my pocket, about ready to burn
I don’t remember where I got it, I gotta get it to you
So please answer the phone, cos I keep calling, but you’re never home
What am I gonna do
Tonight, tonight, tonight
I’m gonna make it right
You keep telling me I’ve got everything, you say I’ve got everything I want
You keep telling me you’re gonna help me, you’re gonna help me, but you don’t
But now I’m in too deep
It’s got me so that I just can’t sleep
Get me out of here, please get me out of here
Just help me I’ll do anything, anything if you’ll just help me get out of here.
I’m coming down, coming down like a monkey, but it’s alright
Like a load on your back that you can’t see but it’s alright
Try to shake it loose, cut it free, let it go
But just get it away from me
Cause tonight, tonight, tonight
May be we’ll make it right
Please get me out of here
Someone get me out of here
Just help me I’ll do anything, anything
If you’ll just help get me out of here
Tonight I’m gonna make it right
Tonight, tonight, tonight.[/quote]

He is like a monkey, he is pestering some woman, he seems to have some money for her, he is in too deep, but ITS ALRIGHT.

This song was on ICRT the other day, and there was no warning for drivers to pull to the road side my ears wanted to puke blood, and i felt my mind travelling to another plain of existence as the middle 8 kicked in. OMG.

I have met one person ever who admits to liking Genesis. It’s no secret that I have worked in mental institutions before, and this is where I met the one ‘fan’ of their work. He liked to put on the Genesis video ‘the way we walk’ Live, take of his clothes and jump up and down naked to Invisible Touch etc.

The whole band are tapped. Any further comments? I’d love to see this un-floundered, though in truth it my get more reads down in the bin!

I like Genesis right up until the ‘Genesis’ album, like 1983 or so, then after that it all goes down hill. Stuff like Trespass and Lamb Lies Down are good.

Genesis was awesome up until the Duke album. After that they went downhill.

[Another deport case? Genesis cover band

There used to be another thread, too. But I can’t find it.

Fundamentalist Creationists?

Lamb Lies Down, in particular The Carpet Crawl are in the pantheon of classic rock.

And, seeing as this is a touchy-feely Tom Hill thread, I will admit to a guilty pleasure of occasionally breaking out into an improved Al Yankovic-esque version of Illegal Alien, Taiwan version.

I love Gabriel. Saw him, Bowie and The Tubes in Edmonton, of all places.

You wanna touch and feel, Gumper? Maybe next week, I owe you a visit. :laughing:

I can’t believe people like Genesis, hats off to you all.

Give me some bob, and my pipe and slippers.

YOU CAN’T DO THIS ON NINTENDO!

I think I just found my favorite Tom Hill story.

Geez, that should a thread: Your Favorite Tom Hill Story

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the criticism is coming from someone who has posted topics about poo. :unamused:

So I take it you’re a Genesis fan then? :slight_smile:

Yes and proud of it! I began listening to Genesis at the time Invisible Touch came out and their music only got better as I went backwards through their catalogue. I find the storytelling during the Gabriel years to be a lot of fun, but I find A Trick of the Tail, Wind and Wuthering, …And Then There Were Three…, and Duke (and even Abacab to a degree) to be their best material musically and even lyrically. Both Tony Banks and Steve Hackett were at their best then. And it was before Phil Collins became well Phil.

Ha ha. I pity you and your puny insult.

Ha ha. I pity you and your puny insult.[/quote]

It wasn’t an insult. It was a statement to let others decide for themselves the value of the initial post in this thread.

Jeremy at Bikefarm is an unashamed Genesis fan. Poor bugger. He’s pretty normal, apart from that.
I must say I kind of didn’t hate Trick of the Tail and Selling England, though.

A much better bet, though, is to read Driving Over Lemons and Parrot in the Pepper Tree by Chris Stewart, who was the absolutely original drummer for Genesis when they were still schoolboys at Charterhouse.

They’re a couple of wonderful books about setting up home in an old farmhouse in rural Spain. Great reads.

Creationists like Genesis, so i hear.

Ha ha. I pity you and your puny insult.[/quote]

It wasn’t an insult. It was a statement to let others decide for themselves the value of the initial post in this thread.[/quote]

That’s rubbish. It was a slur at least. I mock your lovely band Genesis, so you tell people I once wrote about poo. (It was 2 years ago now.) You call that adding balance to things?

You didn’t even like them on Miami Vice?

I liked the Genesis device that you could shoot at a planet in “wrath of khan” and then it brought Spock back to life but he was like a baby that aged really fast…

What’s wrong with poo? It’s an important part of this nutritious breakfast.

Genesis was OK. But Gabriel and Collins took themselves way too seriously after going solo.
Gabriel: “Feel my pain… look at my psyche… worship my poo…”
Collins: “Our relationship is tragic… Our divorce was sad… worship my weird bald head…”