Who likes Taiwan Beer?

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Ha ha ha! . . . Sneakily!

HG[/quote]

Canned TB in an ice filled glass…the forbidden fruit of a beer connoisseur.

“Tigerman! Why are you taking so long in the bathroom!”

“Uh” gurgle, gurgle “nothing”.[/quote]

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo:

Ditto. Spluttered all over the screen with that one.

HG

Excuse me? :laughing:[/quote]

There is 1.6 liters of beer in one bottle. That’s the equivalent of about five cans of beer. I feel like sometimes two cans of beer is enough for relaxing at home, so with this bottle I can just twist the cap back on, and keep it for the next evening.
:wink:

and beer in plastic bottles? What’s this Qiao Le of which you speak?
[/quote]

Found it on sale at the local supermarket, located on Le Ye Street, south of Hoping East and east of Keelung Road. They usually have from two to six bottles in stock. It runs out quickly, so I try to grab some bottles before they’re out of stock. I prefer Taiwan Beer but Qiao Le tastes great, too, and you can’t beat the price: NT$99 for 1.6 liters.

Hmm … Kokanee is my favorite to be honest. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yes.
If Budweiser is the king of beers, then Pijiu is certainly the prince. It’s a beer of utility, if not of choice. A mixed endorsement, to be sure, but I like it nonetheless. Green or brown bottle, either one is fine.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2006/01/14/2003288940

[quote]Over the past few years, a “condom-like” object, live insects, dead cockroaches, cigarette butts, bottle caps and betel nut shreds have all been discovered in bottles of the nation’s favorite brew, Li said.

The bottles, Li said, are mostly reused after they have gone through a washing procedure, but it obviously does not clean out the bottles effectively.

Lien Hsueh-Yung (連學庸), deputy factory-director of the Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor Corporation in Chunan (竹南), said that 280 million bottles of Taiwan Beer are produced every year.

As an environmental-friendly measure, the company recycles and reuses the bottles after cleaning them, Lien said.

The insides of the bottles are sprayed with water and then turned up-side down to drain the water, he said. Factory personnel then check the bottles to make sure they are clean, he added.
[/quote]

Hmmm, sounds like a thorough cleaning process to me. “Let just rinse these out with some water and re-use them.” No need to wonder what people have used these empty bottles for before returning them.

It explains the inconsistency in flavor from bottle to bottle. :raspberry:

[/quote]

Mmm. Alpine of the West. Do you know Alpine?

[quote=“plotch”]Oh yes.
If Budweiser is the king of beers, then Pijiu is certainly the prince. It’s a beer of utility, if not of choice. A mixed endorsement, to be sure, but I like it nonetheless. Green or brown bottle, either one is fine.[/quote]

You gotta be joking. Budweiser sucks and TaiP is gross. The brown TaiPi. The gold TP is doable. That’s about it.

I drank Tsingdao last night in Korea. Pretty good, but not a long life beer.

I drank so much Tsingdao in Taiwan that I could have supported ten families in Ethiopia with the money I spent. I’m, however, not the average bear when drinking beer. There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]
There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote]

That’s quite a statement. If I’m ever in Korea, we’ll have to have a showdown. I knock 'em back pretty well. Which is your specialty, the quick slamming, or the extended boozy marathon? I’m more of a long-distance chap, meself, used to be good at the full bore guzzling when I was younger. :grandpa:

That’s also when I drank alot of Taiwan Beer. Crates of the stuff. Nowadays I might have one with a meal, but I can’t drink it for the drunk, it gives me a heeby-jeeby hangover. Same with Bud, which also tastes like crap. These days its Pilsener Urquell. 42NT per 330ml bottle. Also quaff the Chimay on a regular basis! Great stuff!

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“j99l88e77”]
There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote]

That’s quite a statement. If I’m ever in Korea, we’ll have to have a showdown. I knock 'em back pretty well. Which is your specialty, the quick slamming, or the extended boozy marathon? I’m more of a long-distance chap, meself, used to be good at the full bore guzzling when I was younger. :grandpa:

That’s also when I drank alot of Taiwan Beer. Crates of the stuff. Nowadays I might have one with a meal, but I can’t drink it for the drunk, it gives me a heeby-jeeby hangover. Same with Bud, which also tastes like crap. These days its Pilsener Urquell. 42NT per 330ml bottle. Also quaff the Chimay on a regular basis! Great stuff![/quote]

Well… I’m going to Thailand and the Philippines sometime in March. I’m going to get a new job in Korea to start in April or May. This will be my big vacation. We could have a drinking contest in southern Asia. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Or after in Korea.

[quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“plotch”]Oh yes.
I’m, however, not the average bear when drinking beer. There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote][/quote]

Big words from someone waaay over there! :taz:
If you’re ever in my neck of the woods Mate… look me up. I’ll show you a thing or 2 dozen about drinking REAL beer! And I’m not talking about your AVERAGE Taiwan “beer” I’m talking STELLA!

Aaaah! Stella! :beer:

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”][quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“plotch”]Oh yes.
I’m, however, not the average bear when drinking beer. There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

That’s not my quote, it belongs to j99l88e77. Him I don’t like.

Taiwan Beer? It’s swill.

"Taiwan Beer? It’s swell ![/b][/i][/color]

"Taiwan Beer? It’s swell ![/b][/i][/color]
[/quote]

Taiwan beer? It’s swell swill!

There’s a reason they call it pee-joe.

[quote=“plotch”][quote=“TaiwanSaffies”][quote=“j99l88e77”][quote=“plotch”]Oh yes.
I’m, however, not the average bear when drinking beer. There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote]

That’s not my quote, it belongs to j99l88e77. Him I don’t like.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Given your taste in beer, I don’t find that the least bit offensive.

[quote=“j99l88e77”]Oh yes.
I’m, however, not the average bear when drinking beer. There’s probably no one on Forumosa that could outdrink me with beer. Actually, not probably. There’s no one.[/quote]

[/quote]

So that’s the real reason why you enjoy Korea more than Taiwan. Alcoholism isa lot more socially acceptable up there. Most Taiwanese just don’t drink. That’s why their beer is crap. They don’t know what good beer is and they don’t really care.

[quote=“mod lang”][quote=“j99l88e77”]Oh yes.

[/quote]

So that’s the real reason why you enjoy Korea more than Taiwan. Alcoholism isa lot more socially acceptable up there. Most Taiwanese just don’t drink. That’s why their beer is crap. They don’t know what good beer is and they don’t really care.[/quote]

My comment was a little off the wall. I can’t believe I said that.

Korean beer is crappy.