Who, on Forumosa, are South African?

Al in die geloof, masekind! Pofadderwors isn’t really Pofadder, it’s binnegoed.
Djy ken?

See what I mean! :noway:

It must have been the ‘see what I mean’ part that made me think that you agree.

Ja, Hyser rocks.[/quote][/quote]

Ja, Ek sien! :laughing:
I hope you understand my view from the previous lost.
Shap, my Bru!

TaiwanSaffy, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. You should be commended for starting your own site for South Africans, but remember that once you get used to a site (like forumosa) and all it’s characters, it’s not easy to break away. Nevertheless, I think if you involve us all in running the site, we could make it work even better.

How about changing the name to Foru-sa-moosa.com. It still sounds like Forumosa and it contains SA as well, plus it’s something we all have eaten.

QUOTE:A friend who started a bar in Taoyuan City figures that South Africans are cheapskates who (for fun) only BBQ on their balconies because there they can braai the cheap Taiwan beef & pork and drink stuff like “Essential Beer” because it’s the cheapest crap at 711.

Damn,now that’s cheap. I was told that westerners were the cheapest. Now I know why costomer service is so poor in Taiwan.It’s not their lackof ability to speak English…they’re afraid we’ll haggle them to death.

Lack” my bra, raak vol.

En moenie vergeet van “customer” nie.

[quote]Now I know why costomer service is so poor in Taiwan[/quote].

Ek het nie verniet daai English Made Easy boek deurgelees nie.

[quote=“gomerpyle”]QUOTE:A friend who started a bar in Taoyuan City figures that South Africans are cheapskates who (for fun) only BBQ on their balconies because there they can braai the cheap Taiwan beef & pork and drink stuff like “Essential Beer” because it’s the cheapest crap at 711.

Damn,now that’s cheap. I was told that westerners were the cheapest. Now I know why costomer service is so poor in Taiwan.It’s not their lac of ability to speak English…they’re afraid we’ll haggle them to death.[/quote]

Talking about “lac” of ability. :wink:

Most SA’cans I know BBQ 'cause they won’t pay NT$800 for what’s called a steak here in restaurants. How do I know? 'Cause my neighbours are SA’can. I’ve been over for “braai” a few times. Quite good, actually. Have you been?

They certainly punctuate and spell better than you do, mate! :slight_smile:

As I state on my frontpage, TaiwanSaffiesDotKom is NOT trying to reinvent the wheel with regard to setting up an online forum for foreigners in Taiwan. For that Forumosa is much too established and useful in terms of the members and the excellent information already contained in the site. You will notice that I even have a Forumosa banner on the frontpage. For that reason I never intended for Saffies to “break away”. I was hoping that the Saffies on Forumosa as well as some more would use TaiwanSaffiesDotKom to post & discuss issues that are or relevance to South Africans.

You know… you’re right! Thanks for the kick in the pants, I’m gonna do my bit as a Saffie in Taiwan and go post on Taiwansaffies.com.

Just because I’m a cheapskate, doesn’t mean I’m apathetic. Don’t know about the rest of my countrymen though… :s

But since only seven out of the hundreds of Forumosans who post regularly on this site are South African, I think we can safely assume that South Africans in Taiwan are not really into the internet thing. I guess they prefer to spend their time braaing on their balconies and drinking Essential Beer. :laughing:

I worked for BSAP in 1979…does that count?

[quote]Al in die geloof, masekind! Pofadderwors isn’t really Pofadder, it’s binnegoed.
Djy ken?[/quote]

You can eat that with some skilpadjies. And a smiley. Djy wiet van?

Dude, when I braai I buy good steak and also get some boerewors from a guy that makes it in Kaohsuing. I also only drink Taiwan Beer, 'cos I like it and I can…

As to the site. I registered and attempted to vote on the Super 14 (Waratahs to win) but the damn thing kept sending me an error message that I’m not allowed to vote (yes I was logged in…). Then when I tried to post a message??? Lo and behold…the exact same error message.

Apathy? The damn thing wont allow me to do anything… :fume:

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“TaiwanSaffies”]One of these days they’ll start kicking our butts in Rugby!
[/quote]

Good Grief, thou! You must be talking several centuries down the road! :laughing:
You’ve no idea of the joy and mirth that spreads from sea to sea whenever our soccer or rugby team (most Canucks actually think they’re one and the same) scores at all!
[/quote]

This is waaaay off the topic, But I can’t resist:
The SA under19 Team just finished 8th or 9th at the U/19 World Championships in Dubai, competing there as Defending Champs!
I’m not even going to go into the performance of the SA Teams in the current Super14 Competition.

So, Yes, I’m NOt talking centuries down the line! :frowning:

[quote=“bismarck”]Dude, when I braai I buy good steak and also get some boerewors from a guy that makes it in Kaohsuing. I also only drink Taiwan Beer, 'cos I like it and I can…

As to the site. I registered and attempted to vote on the Super 14 (Waratahs to win) but the damn thing kept sending me an error message that I’m not allowed to vote (yes I was logged in…). Then when I tried to post a message??? Lo and behold…the exact same error message.

Apathy? The damn thing wont allow me to do anything… :fume:[/quote]

HaHa! Thanx bismarck. . . I see you too buy expensive but lekker steak at TESCO like me! :bravo: Nothing but the best for a lekker braai! I dont drink Taiwan beer since they seemingly stopped selling the bottled Draft Taiwan Beer (if I can remember that faaar back: they were green bottles), at least here in Taoyuan. I liked THAT stuff! Currently Tsingtao does it for me… both insofar as quality and price is concerned.

[i]BTW… I brought a six-pack of CASTLE LAGER
:beer: from Hong Kong last week, so I’m keeping it for a coupla weeks from now when the Stormers WIN :blush: the Super14![/i]

As for the TaiwanSaffiesDotKom Forum… as I said before: it’s a work in progress and those kind of “niggles” should be sent to me so that WE could work it out. I am on an amazing learning curve, having NO previous experience and knowledge of Forums and how to run it.
I have mentioned about Mods on the site so check it out. Mybe we can all sort it out together! :notworthy:

I look forward to hearing from you and others… (Have already heard from Trapjaw! :bravo: )

Don’t forget me.

Buyer and seller of the ground you stand on, but currently in SA selling soil to my brethren.

Should be back in Taiwan, soon, if they let me back in.

Looking forward to decent internet speeds, where I can actually surf, without falling asleep waiting for pages to load.

Been to about 1.5 braais/day since I’ve been back.

All boerewors’ed-out.

Been trying to chat up the waitress up at the local Chinese restaurant. Only problem is she speaks Cantonese.

Heading to Cyrildene soon to make small talk with the imported shong-di soon…

Count me in for a braai when I’m back…

:slight_smile:

Here’s to a R500-plus/month internet bill.

Double-post.