Who reads a George R R Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire"?

THERE MAY BE SPOILERS

Just finished the book, A Dance With Dragons. Really good, although not as good as the second or third one. Definitley a lot better than the fourth book.

I wans’t too thrilled with the end of A Dance with Dragons, and now I must wait what feels like forever for the next book…

While you’re waiting, have you read Patrick Rothfuss?

His poetic sensibility is as good as GRRM’s historicism. Really wonderful storytelling.

[quote=“Jaboney”]While you’re waiting, have you read Patrick Rothfuss?

His poetic sensibility is as good as GRRM’s historicism. Really wonderful storytelling.[/quote]

Hey, I can give it a shot. Any specific titles i should look out for?

[quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“Jaboney”]While you’re waiting, have you read Patrick Rothfuss?

His poetic sensibility is as good as GRRM’s historicism. Really wonderful storytelling.[/quote]

Hey, I can give it a shot. Any specific titles i should look out for?[/quote]
I’ve read the first one “The Name of The Wind”… Excellent stuff

It’s a trilogy, still in development after a previous version caught a publisher’s eye.

Book One is The Name of the Wind.
Book Two is The Wise Man’s Fear.
Book Three is in the works.

They’re each of a very different character, but I think Rothfuss is easily on par with GRRM and Robert Jordan. My only caution: like them, he cultivates stories and sometimes the story seems to wander off into the weeds.

If you’ve read Brandon Sanderson, I picked up Rothfuss after hearing Sanderson rave about how good he was… how much better Rothfuss was than himself.

[quote=“Jaboney”]It’s a trilogy, still in development after a previous version caught a publisher’s eye.

Book One is The Name of the Wind.
Book Two is The Wise Man’s Fear.
Book Three is in the works.

They’re each of a very different character, but I think hothfuss is easily on par with GRRM and Robert Jordan. My only caution: like them, he cultivates stories and sometimes the story seems to wander off into the weeds.

If you’ve read Brandon Sanderson, I picked up Rothfuss after hearing Sanderson rave about how good he was… how much better Rothfuss was than himself.[/quote]

Robert Jordan was the worst at doing that, he’d build characters that are books long and then just make them do petty things for books and books. I can’t believe I read all those books back in my high school days.

I couldn’t believe how the A Dance With Dragons ended.

First the girl i was seeing broke up with me, and then I read the end of A Dance With Dragons…

Too much grief…

I’m on “Dragons” right now, and I’ll agree it was better than #4, though I’m still getting a little impatient. It seems like he’s reached that stage where the editors don’t cut anything out and it shows. The cliffhangers aren’t exciting anymore either – when there’s cliffhangers seemingly every other chapter the dramatic impact is minimized. Also, I find myself getting less interested as there gets to be more and more Magic – he seems to be at his best when it reads more like historical fiction and less like fantasy.

Still, “Dragons” has more of the characters that made me love the first three and there are some interesting threads that could be worthwhile, and of course even at his worst Martin is better than the vast majority of fantasy writers out there. So I’ll press on.